Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master
I have a 2004 Safari and upgraded my radio. The original Sony was obsolete and no satellite radio module was available. I wanted Sirius radio.
Any of the automotive radios will fit in the space and hook up to the speakers. I have the basic model Safari with 4 Sony speakers.
I went with a JVC because that is what the installer in the small town where I live sells. I think picking the installer is more important than picking the radio because all the quality radios have similar performance.
Cost was $149 for the radio and $129 for the Sirius radio. Installation took 2 men 3 1/2 hours and was $500. A very handy do it yourselfer could do the job. There are loots of wires to hook up. It does involve drilling a hole in the skin for the satellite antenna. The antenna is small the installation is clean.
Like all the newer radios, this one has a plug for an Ipod.
Rewiring for more and bigger speakers, woofers ect would be very difficult in an Airstream.
I am pleased with the result. We often camp where no tv and only gospel or country music is available on the radio so the Sirius is welcome.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Our Sony head unit has mp3 / USB inputs and even a place to store an ipod. It is not worth it to us to expend a geat deal of cash for audio in the AS as it will still sound like a band in a can - with all of the metallic reflective surfaces. We have electrostatic speakers, Sun & Carver power amps, BK pre, and real subs for actual 5 or 6.1 listening at home. No AS audio upgrade would come even close! Unless you have truly "young" ears / hearing and can appreciate the upgrades, I would suggest rethinking spending extra $$$ on the diminishing improvement to the current system. I agree that the Sony is a horror to operate - especially if you only have seasonal use of the TT - I simply forget the "how - to" over the off season. It is not user frinedly.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
It would be difficult, but it's not impossible. There are specific challenges, but all of them can be overcome--And once done, it actually has the potential to sound better than most high end home systems precisely because it is a closed environment.

Specific to this type of application, other than the 'usual' things already mentioned, the keys are:
1. Mounting speakers in a front firing position rather than straight down. Or better yet, permanently mount high quality small bookshelf speakers (I did this in the bedroom on the nightstands--they can act as a stable stand if done right)
2. Use of a DSP processor---current high end is something like Audison (it equalizes for the environment and adjusts for your specific speaker type---It makes a HUGE difference once it's dialed in) The signal is taken from the head unit, processed and then sent to your amplifier for output to your speakers.
3. Upgrading the subwoofer to a high end powered compact home version (something like a compact REL, that can be integrated with the other speakers) This will, however require shore/generator power.
4. Strategic sound deadening with window coverings, etc.
5. Use of non-compressed music

Set it up right and you can have a whole different type of relaxation experience camping (I actually sometimes enjoy it more than my home system---like you, I have a high end home system). You will also be very popular tailgating.

You will probably still have the problem of your wife making you turn it down!

random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote