Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

1984 34' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Need help with a TV antenna cable... replacement

I replaced the old antenna with a new Winegard. Replacement went well, however, the cable running from the roof antenna down to the wall socket outlet was rotted and has come apart, thus, I cannot fish (easily) new cable thru the roof of our 1984 AS International. I tried removing a couple of the ceiling lights and using a wire fish, tried logically to find access holes in the structure allowing for wires to pass thru. Nope. Nothing. To make sure the antenna does work, I have a cable running from the antenna down to the outside cable outlet, and then into the trailer. Yes, the antenna works really well... but how to feed the cable thru from the ceiling antenna hole, down to the side wall?

Thanks!

Lawrence Northway
Ottawa, Canada
Northway@mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
I had to drill out the rivets for the interior skin, and route the cable through the internal bows, then re-riveting the interior skin back up.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I'll be facing that same issue shortly, what I intend to do is get 3/8" aluminum tubing to use as a conduit along the roof and make a hole thru the roof above a cabinet over the fridge to route to the Tv.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #4

1984 34' International
Ottawa , Ontario
TV Antenna

So, logically, there is no "easy" repair, and then adding a conduit is the most logical "update" to this dilema! Ouch! Oh well... these are built so well, and they were never meant to be taken apart, so, this should be "interesting"!

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

Lawrence Northway
Ottawa, Canada
Northway@mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
sarasota , Florida
sorry I didn't read this sooner, probably to late for all , the cable can be fished with out removing any rivets , takes a good deal of patience and a little experience helps,. go aft or forward to the nearest roof vent, unscrew the screen frame, there is enough gap to feed a fish wire to the hole on the roof and down the the wall, it is a zig zag run but it works. a semi stiff fish wire works best ( stainless steel center from marine shift/throttle cable ) the end result is factory !
roy sedgwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
1978 Argosy

1979 30' Argosy
Prague , Oklahoma
your post could not have come at a better time I was just about to start drilling rivets to run antenna. I will try this first have to remove screen and window to replace broken glass.
thanks
Bill
405billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The PO of my unit ran the new cable across the roof and down the refrigerator vent, then through the wall.
Simple, yet not that high tech.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northway@mag
I replaced the old antenna with a new Winegard. Replacement went well, however, the cable running from the roof antenna down to the wall socket outlet was rotted and has come apart, thus, I cannot fish (easily) new cable thru the roof of our 1984 AS International. I tried removing a couple of the ceiling lights and using a wire fish, tried logically to find access holes in the structure allowing for wires to pass thru. Nope. Nothing. To make sure the antenna does work, I have a cable running from the antenna down to the outside cable outlet, and then into the trailer. Yes, the antenna works really well... but how to feed the cable thru from the ceiling antenna hole, down to the side wall?

Thanks!

Lawrence Northway
Ottawa, Canada
I owned a 1979 AS International 31' that I replaced the old yagi antenna with the batwing with coax cable. I removed the front light fixture and fan in the roof vent. I drilled out a few rivets where the front plastic end cap is rivited to the interior skin. I then pulled the plastic down enough to snake the coax from the antenna base forward and around trhe roof vent then under the plastic forward into the space behind the cupboard. I fished the wire thru the inside top of the cupboard and out again and routed it around the corner behind the plastic then outside and ran behind the upper curtain valence over to the credenza area. Then I drilled a hole and installed a grommet and fished the coax behind the inner skin down into the TV amplifier . Can't remember for sure but think I came back out thru a second gromment by the amplifier or maybe fed into the amplifier behind the inner skin. This method hid the coax completely. There were small spaces near the roof vent where I was able to route the cable without squashing it. Be careful not to squash the cable as that can change the impedance of the cable and antenuate the signal. Charlie E
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:52 AM   #9
Linjoe

1995 30' Excella
Lithia , FL
Going to replace antenna (which was removed). According to my manual, there should be a splitter somewhere that enables you to connect to the front tv location and one for the rear. I have searched everywhere and am not able to find such a splitter/switch anywhere. Can anyone tell me where it is or how to find it on a 1995 30 ft. Excella?
Linjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
[According to my manual, there should be a splitter somewhere that enables you to connect to the front tv location and one for the rear. ]
I believe mine splits in the "antenna booster" which also switches cable.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:06 PM   #11
Linjoe

1995 30' Excella
Lithia , FL
Antenna booster?

Sorry, but I can't find anything like an "antenna booster" either. Any clues as to location?
Linjoe is offline   Reply With Quote