Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Dish

Has anyone tried the new Vu-cube? From the sounds of things they are as effective as the Dome or dish and can be moved from under the trees- up to 50 ft. from the AS.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Scott:
I will do some research on that with an individual I know in the industry. Thanks for the tip. When I tried to us the pre wired system in the A/S I kept getting the message that signal was interupted. I to get a little hi tech challenged, even when I am trying to turn the Telly on.
Bob
FCU
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748

Old 10-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Bob. Please check it out. As I said, I have used the pre-wired cable connector in two different airstreams for a satellite dish hookup and it worked fine in both. You do have to take the 'pig-tail' off of the wall panel where the cable enters the living quarters to use the satellite input, then run a short piece of coax to the sat reciever. Careful when you do that...my wall panel was labeled wrong from the factory. That took a looong time and my wife's suggestion to discover what the problem was.
Let me know how it comes out.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Airtandem,
I thought about the vuqube, but wifey likes to stay up most of the night watching the tube. I'm afraid someone may take a liking to the 'quge and walk off with it, no matter how well secured it may be to the picnic table, etc..... I prefer something a little less 'pilferable'.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I could not get a straight answer out of that salesman.About TREES and RAIN and SNOW and its affect on reception. Maybe he didn't have a clue,he was just a saleman.
Mike,

Bottom line, you'll get little to no reception if the signal is blocked by trees. In the case of rain and snow, interrupted signals start to occur with moderate precipitation. Fog and light precip tend to not be a bother. There are covers available to protect the dish and LNB's which will extend coverage into somewhat heavier precipitation but you are still likely to lose your reception in the heavy stuff. What a cover does allow you to do is to clear the snow off with a broom easily without knocking the antenna out of alignment. During those periods it's back to the over-the-air antenna and whatever that may provide for coverage. Best argument for getting Tivo or having a DVD player and a stash of your favorites handy. Up here in Maine, I'd guess we lost reception a dozen times over a year's time, rarely for more than 24 hours and usually for less than four to six hours in freezing rain and snow, no more than a couple of hours in rain squalls (we're over 50 miles from the coast so do not have the heavy tropical depression rains they get near the Gulf).

I hope that helps you judge how often you might expect service interruptions. Of course, your frequency may vary...

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote