Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Need advice 23" flatscreen in 08 safari died

My 2008 Safari had a 23" flat screen TV mounted on a swing out arm for viewing from the bedroom. A few weeks ago, while watching it, we heard a sizzle, and then no TV.

We checked the circut breaker to see if that was the problem, and then we tried to turn it back on, and then the blue light (an indicator on the bottom of the TV showing that it is on), was coming on and off without us even touching the control. So now I am not sure if there is an electrical problem that blew out the TV, so I am not sure if I should replace the TV just yet.

In any event, I will need to replace the TV, and have not seen any flat screens that have the bracket on the back for mounting like the one we had.

Any advice on determining if this was electrical, and for getting a new TV would be appreciated.

Thanks
Diane

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
Most new LCD TV's have a VESA mounting Interface that will bolt to the wall mount provided by Airstream.

Flat Display Mounting Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Check the VIZIO 22"I recall seeing standard four bolt holes on the back.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
thanks for the info on wall mounts, any ideas on how to determine if it was an electrical problem that zapped the TV.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Run an extension cord from your house or other shore power directly to the television power cord, bypassing your Airstream wiring entirely. This will indicate whether the problem is in the trailer wiring or the television.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

With a multi meter it is easy to check voltage and polarity of the tv circuit of your Airstream. If that tests out, a power surge or defective T.V. are likely the culprits. Plugging into shore power with the breaker on can cause a surge.
A small surge protector is a good idea with sensitive electronic equipment.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Any outcome to report?

I hope you didn't purchase a new television without further troubleshooting. Since your Airstream is a 2008, it's a remote possibility, but your TV may have some warranty time left. Also, if you purchased the TV separately and used certain credit cards, your credit card company may have extended the warranty period (e.g., Amex).

There are some people on this forum that have electrical and electronics experience in troubleshooting this problem, but you need to provide more details...
Old 12-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks for the tips, have been very busy with the holdiays, and have not tried to test with the electric from the house. We are in the middle of a snowstorm, so will probably not do this until next weekend when the weather is supposed to be much better.

I will post my results, thanks.......
Old 12-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
We tried to plug the TV into house power, but the TV does not have a cord. The cord to the TV is from the trailer, and plugs directly into the back of the TV. It is not a normal three prong receptor on the TV. This is a 2008 Safari, with the factory installed 23" Samsung flatscreen TV.

Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
Most new LCD TV's have a VESA mounting Interface that will bolt to the wall mount provided by Airstream.

Flat Display Mounting Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you saying that the new TV will be able to attach to the wall mount, but not the swing out arm that is currently on the TV? Or should it mount to that swing arm?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would think that TV's mounted to the trailer will probably suffer in the long run due to the variance of storage temperatures and vibration. Components that are marginal will probably fail sooner than if the TV was sitting in a home.

Although it is a pain, my 23" HD still travels in its shock protected box. I don't have a wall mount so my TV sits on top of the food storage cabinet behind the dinette. In addition, my trailer has inside storage so it's not subject the the extremes in temperature. In winter I bring the box inside and store it in the basement. Again no extremes.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom View Post
We tried to plug the TV into house power, but the TV does not have a cord. The cord to the TV is from the trailer, and plugs directly into the back of the TV. It is not a normal three prong receptor on the TV. This is a 2008 Safari, with the factory installed 23" Samsung flatscreen TV.

Any ideas?
Nevermind this question, I found that my computer plug worked on the TV. Tested pluged into our house power, and the TV still had the blue and red lights blinking even when you were not pressing the remote to turn it on. So it must be in the TV.

Agree that having the TV bounce around in the trailer would shorten it's life span, and also the weather. We do not have inside storage for the unit in the winter.

we do not have a good place in our floor plan to put the TV without mounting it to the wall, so it will likely stay there for now. Will look for a lower priced replacement, since it may not last too long.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #13

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We strap ours down with Velcro and remove it during winter storage. The cold is hard on lcds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2797309407.png
Views:	83
Size:	912.9 KB
ID:	118146  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom View Post
Nevermind this question, I found that my computer plug worked on the TV. Tested pluged into our house power, and the TV still had the blue and red lights blinking even when you were not pressing the remote to turn it on. So it must be in the TV.

Agree that having the TV bounce around in the trailer would shorten it's life span, and also the weather. We do not have inside storage for the unit in the winter.

we do not have a good place in our floor plan to put the TV without mounting it to the wall, so it will likely stay there for now. Will look for a lower priced replacement, since it may not last too long.
I would certainly check around with repair places. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you could get it repaired for less than replacing it. Since the lights are blinking, the TV is getting power. It is possible that the TV's processor needs to be reset.

I looked at the manual for my similar Samsung TV. That light blinking could be caused by the TV's input being set to PC and having no PC connected. With the TV turned on, Push the input button on the TV and see if the input menu shows up on the blank screen. If so change it to the proper input (probably TV).

TVs are not necessarily throw away items yet, and Samsung is one of the better brands.

Call Samsung cutomer help line:

1-800-726-7864

Ken