Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
need a new TV

My 19" flat screen Westinghouse that I bought at Sam's a few years back is starting to act up. No power at times. We have been using this TV in our bedroom at home and then taking it with us in the Airstream. I have a wall mount arrangement in the Airstream and the TV has worked fine with good picture quality. Although it is HD compatible I was not running HD through my Satellite on this TV.

So I am looking for a replacement and would like to move up to a 22". Here are a couple of options that I have found so far.

Amazon.com: Sharp LC22DV27UT 22-Inch LCD HDTV with Built-In DVD Player, Black: Electronics

Walmart.com: Vizio 22" Class 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV, VA220E: TVs

Any thoughts or suggestions. I will be hooked of to satellite and my go to an HD box.

Thanks

Don

Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
8.1L Chevy suburb... oh wait... you mean TV

Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
My 19" flat screen Westinghouse that I bought at Sam's a few years back is starting to act up. No power at times. We have been using this TV in our bedroom at home and then taking it with us in the Airstream. I have a wall mount arrangement in the Airstream and the TV has worked fine with good picture quality. Although it is HD compatible I was not running HD through my Satellite on this TV.

So I am looking for a replacement and would like to move up to a 22". Here are a couple of options that I have found so far.

Amazon.com: Sharp LC22DV27UT 22-Inch LCD HDTV with Built-In DVD Player, Black: Electronics

Walmart.com: Vizio 22" Class 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV, VA220E: TVs

Any thoughts or suggestions. I will be hooked of to satellite and my go to an HD box.

Thanks

Don
When I was shopping for my 1st flat panel LCD at Best Buy, I kept coming back to the Sharp for picture quality ...
Bob
Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Take look at this one. It has been great for us. Toshiba's 23HLV87 23" LCD TV/DVD
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We've had the best luck with JVC's. They are quite good in picture, sound, and longevity. Other than that, we've had Panasonics. The picture and sound are good, but longevity is a crap shoot. One has been great. The other two lasted about 3 years each.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
WE have a 20" Vizio in the Caravel, a 22" Vizio in the Excella and a 32" Vizio in our Home. .The two in the trailers are mounted on the wall. They all work great. None has given any trouble at all. Bought them at Costco.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Ours is a Toshiba with dvd in the side. Works great, we usually listen through the trailer's stereo but not always.

After two years on the road and having recently left a dvd in it on a road trip, we couldn't get the dvd to eject. Finally decided we were "going in".

Unplugged it, took five minutes to take enough screws out to remove the back cover and access the dvd player section. Talked the dvd out, and five months later we've had no more problems.

(We don't leave dvds in it anymore either)

We'd buy another Toshiba with dvd anytime. Great unit, nice controls, nice remote.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
I am a loyal Sony fan - although some will say their prices are a bit high for the quality. My good friend owns a Sony TV repair service and considers the three top names for LCD TVs are SSS-Sony, Sharp and Samsung. Sony certainly are a great company to deal with - we had a bit of an usual problem with one of our TVs which was out of warranty and after talking with them was offered a new TV for half the price of a new one at a local Best Buy - cannot ask for more than that. Sometimes paying more really is worth it. Another thing I would recommend is DO NOT get extended warranty from the store you buy the TV but try to get it from the manufacturer as I really believe you get far better service from them.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks

Thanks everyone. I will start checking some of these out online and at local stores and then post what I come up with.

Thanks again

Don
Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
In general, TV's with integrated DVD's, VCR's, etc., are problematic and expensive to repair. Inevitably, the moving components fail long before the TV and as a result, require costly service.

Another issue is the useful relative service life of the media player vs. the TV. The newly adopted HDTV standard will be here for many years to come, but we can already see the end of the road for DVD (VCR-> DVD-> Blue-ray,...).

Net, you're generally better off in the long run getting seperate TV and media player.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Made a trip to Sam's and Best Buy today and had a chance to see most of the TV's mentioned in action. The picture quality in a store setting on all of them was very good. The price varies a little from on to another. I am leaning towards the Sharp 22" DVD combo from Amazon.com. The price from Amazon.com is a little less that Sam's but no sales tax and free shipping from Amazon.com makes it a better buy. Ebay had this unit listed but in order to get one with a lower price I would have to go with a factory refurbished model.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Made a trip to Sam's and Best Buy today and had a chance to see most of the TV's mentioned in action. The picture quality in a store setting on all of them was very good. The price varies a little from on to another. I am leaning towards the Sharp 22" DVD combo from Amazon.com. The price from Amazon.com is a little less that Sam's but no sales tax and free shipping from Amazon.com makes it a better buy. Ebay had this unit listed but in order to get one with a lower price I would have to go with a factory refurbished model.

Thanks again for the input.

It's a 720p TV. Real HDTV is 1080p, not 720 or even 1080i. Anything else is simply old technology. Think of it as a popup SOB of TVs. DVDs are low resolution too. That alone is a hint that it is out of date already.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
It's a 720p TV. Real HDTV is 1080p, not 720 or even 1080i. Anything else is simply old technology. Think of it as a popup SOB of TVs. DVDs are low resolution too. That alone is a hint that it is out of date already.
I don't think I saw any of the sets in this size range that were True 1080p.

Don
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A quick search turned up these 22 & 23 inch TVs at Amazon alone:

Amazon.com: Viewsonic VT2230 22-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics
Amazon.com: VIZIO 22" 1080p Class LCD HDTV - Black (VA22LFHDTV10T): Electronics
Amazon.com: LG M237WD-PM 23-Inch Class Widescreen Multi-Function LCD Monitor/TV (Gloss Black): Computer & Accessories
Amazon.com: Samsung P2370HD 23-Inch Full 1080p HDTV LCD Monitor - Black Rose: Computer & Accessories
Amazon.com: VIZIO VM230XVT 23-Inch XVT-Series 23-Inch 1080p LED LCD HDTV: Electronics

I'm not claiming that they are top of the line TVs. Obviously, the smallest screen available is not going to have the sound/speakers or other features that larger TVs have. They do have true HD resolution and several have more than one HDMI input. One HDMI input is not really enough. If you connect to a HD satellite receiver and a Blu-Ray player, you need two. If you want to connect to your computer, ideally you would have another digital connection, HDMI or DVI.

Your options increase if you consider 24" or larger. The difference between 22 and 24 inches is slight when comparing the box, but very noticeable when comparing the screen.

There's plenty of choices out there, and they are getting cheaper all the time.