Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
My New Antenna is Installed

I did have to pick a 90 degree sunny day to work on top of my Airstream but my new antenna is installed and works great!

I put a Winegard Sensar IV on the trailer to replace an older Winegard (Sensar II I think). The old antenna was broken so I had to replace it.

A couple tools that really helped were my angle grinder and Fein Multimaster with the scraper blade attachment. I used the grinder to cut the screw heads off the old antenna since they had been filled with caulk that had hardened and prevented the use of a screwdriver. The Multimaster I used to remove all the hardened caulk from the old installation. It removed the caulk in less than a minute. Not something I would use on the side of the trailer because it did leave some scratches but nobody is going to look at the roof underneath where the antenna is attached.

I took my time because it was hot out, one trip to the hardware store for some stainless screws and coax cable ends. After hooking it all up I set my TV up, plugged in the trailer and we have high def TV with great reception!

I am really excited about this repair!

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Thousand Trails Founder

2000 30' Excella
Bend , Oregon
Send a message via MSN to Damianmgk Send a message via Skype™ to Damianmgk
I am new at this and only have experience with cable at home. What range of channels are you able to get with this type antenna and how far out in the boonies will it work. I am having a hard time justifying fighting a DirectTV dish, though am spoiled by the programming that I assume not available with your set up. Any coaching you can give me much appreciated.

- Damian
Damianmgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damianmgk View Post
I am new at this and only have experience with cable at home. What range of channels are you able to get with this type antenna and how far out in the boonies will it work. I am having a hard time justifying fighting a DirectTV dish, though am spoiled by the programming that I assume not available with your set up. Any coaching you can give me much appreciated.

- Damian
Damian,
I have an antenna similar to Alden, and even without the digital attachment (Wingman), it works quite well when within range of a tower. One thing about those digital signals, either you have reception, or you don't. Nothing in between. Not too sure about the exact distance, but at home, for some reason, it outperforms the roof antenna on my house. We're about 25-30 miles from the nearest transmitter, in a very flat state.

We have taken our DirecTV dish (standard definition) all over the country, and after I got the hang of setting it up, I can do it in about 5 minutes. I have one of those fancy Winegard satellite finders...

Satellite Finder - Winegard SF-1000 - Satellite Antenna Accessories - Camping World

....but I can do it quicker with the satellite coordinates and an old Boy Scout compass. In an ideal scenario, I try to find a campsite where the rear of the trailer faces in the general direction of the satellites, point my television towards the rear of the Airstream where I can see it through the window, set the receiver on the signal strength screen, and align it as I watch the TV screen. Where this is possible, I only have to use about 10 feet of cable with a quick connect on the end. For longer runs due to trees, or other obstructions (like humongous SOB's), I have some extra cable and a wife to yell out the window.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Not sure what the range is, it depend on terrain (mountains, flat, buildings,ect...) but depending on where you are you can get anywhere from 0 to about 50 channels on the antenna. On my last trip I think I averaged 4 channels in each campground and 1 campground had 9.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
SilverRanger and Wazbro have answered better than I can.

All I know is in my quick test I picked up four stations (that's all we tried) and they were crystal clear. I'll still take along DVDs to watch but it will be nice to be able to pick up any local stations that are within range when we are camping.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote