Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Thank you great tip! .... I've been an amazon customer for years but never thought prime was worth having ...Time for a second look as we like to watch movies and this could be a great option when we have no wifi.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Just returned from a 2 week trip where most was dry camping at Glacier Natl Park and we had a couple of movie nights when we weren't exhausted by hiking that day.

I got rid of the radio/DVD in my dinette cabinetry since it took up too much space.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-142557.html

I have a Netflix DVD/Streaming account so I rip all my DVDs via Handbrake on my iMac at home to an external hard drive. I also have my iTunes library on that hard drive. When we go on the road I pack my MacBook Air, hard drive, Apple TV gen 3 (allows peer to peer Airplay), my Riva Turbo X BT speaker, a couple of BT earbuds and a BT transmitter.

Because my MacBook Air is too old to peer to peer (Airplay) with my Apple TV I have to sync my iPad Air to the iTunes library on the external hard drive and choose a movie and download it to my iPad. I then Airplay to the Apple TV. If we want to use our two BT earbuds using the BT transmitter I have to turn off BT on my iPad first so the BT earbuds with connect to the BT transmitter connected to the TV. Once the earbuds are connected then I turn on BT and Wifi on the iPad( necessary to get Airplay to work) turn on the TV, select the input the Apple TV is connected to, go to the move on the iPad then Airplay the movie and most of the time it starts playing on the TV and we hear audio over the earbuds. This works well when the A/C is on overhead and you can hear the movie much better, especially the dialog.

We used the Riva Turbo X BT speaker since the A/C wasn't on. The speaker is connected directly to the audio 3.5mm jack of the TV. Setting up Airplay from the iPad works the same as above. Sometimes the BT speaker BT interferes but I just disconnect the Riva BT connection on the iPad. I have a little shelf on top of the TV for the speaker.

Once I upgrade to a newer Mac laptop I will be able to Airplay directly to the Apple TV without needing to sync a movie to the iPad.

I like using the BT earbud method because the wife can sleep in the front bedroom and I can watch a movie with disturbing her.

The Apple TV requires AC power. I have an Insignia 28" with DVD (Best Buy brand) and since it has a A/C to 12v transformer I just use a 12v power plug to plug the TV directly into the 12v socket on the TV wall. To power the Apple TV when dry camping I run a 12v extension from a 12v receptacle I installed in the cabinet over the dinette when I removed the radio and run it to a 120w sine wave inverter.

I'm getting a Magnum 1012 1000 watt inverter/charger installed this fall and will have all the 110v receptacles on inverted power when not on shore power so I will be able to plug the Apple TV directly into a wall receptacle vs using the extension cord.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Another easy option is Chromecast. $30. It's a dongle that plugs into your TV's HDMI port. Then you can stream to it from any IOS or Android device. Works great, I use it at home as well.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
With Chromcast in the trailer with no Wifi network you can peer to peer from your phone/tablet device to the Chromcast dongle?

Looking at the quick setup guides it states your Chromcast and device have to be on the same Wifi network. In my trailer I don't have a Wifi network.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
you have to use your phone as a hotspot on cellular if you aren't on a wifi network to use Chromecast. If not, then the direct connection using a cord to a TV without Chromecast is the better option.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Just returned from a 2 week trip where most was dry camping at Glacier Natl Park and we had a couple of movie nights when we weren't exhausted by hiking that day.

I got rid of the radio/DVD in my dinette cabinetry since it took up too much space.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-142557.html

I have a Netflix DVD/Streaming account so I rip all my DVDs via Handbrake on my iMac at home to an external hard drive. I also have my iTunes library on that hard drive. When we go on the road I pack my MacBook Air, hard drive, Apple TV gen 3 (allows peer to peer Airplay), my Riva Turbo X BT speaker, a couple of BT earbuds and a BT transmitter.

Because my MacBook Air is too old to peer to peer (Airplay) with my Apple TV I have to sync my iPad Air to the iTunes library on the external hard drive and choose a movie and download it to my iPad. I then Airplay to the Apple TV. If we want to use our two BT earbuds using the BT transmitter I have to turn off BT on my iPad first so the BT earbuds with connect to the BT transmitter connected to the TV. Once the earbuds are connected then I turn on BT and Wifi on the iPad( necessary to get Airplay to work) turn on the TV, select the input the Apple TV is connected to, go to the move on the iPad then Airplay the movie and most of the time it starts playing on the TV and we hear audio over the earbuds. This works well when the A/C is on overhead and you can hear the movie much better, especially the dialog.

We used the Riva Turbo X BT speaker since the A/C wasn't on. The speaker is connected directly to the audio 3.5mm jack of the TV. Setting up Airplay from the iPad works the same as above. Sometimes the BT speaker BT interferes but I just disconnect the Riva BT connection on the iPad. I have a little shelf on top of the TV for the speaker.

Once I upgrade to a newer Mac laptop I will be able to Airplay directly to the Apple TV without needing to sync a movie to the iPad.

I like using the BT earbud method because the wife can sleep in the front bedroom and I can watch a movie with disturbing her.

The Apple TV requires AC power. I have an Insignia 28" with DVD (Best Buy brand) and since it has a A/C to 12v transformer I just use a 12v power plug to plug the TV directly into the 12v socket on the TV wall. To power the Apple TV when dry camping I run a 12v extension from a 12v receptacle I installed in the cabinet over the dinette when I removed the radio and run it to a 120w sine wave inverter.

I'm getting a Magnum 1012 1000 watt inverter/charger installed this fall and will have all the 110v receptacles on inverted power when not on shore power so I will be able to plug the Apple TV directly into a wall receptacle vs using the extension cord.

Kelvin

Lookup 12v AppleTv on Youtube. This will allow AppleTv to run on 12v.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
We did something similar but I got too lazy to synch up.

We re-purposed a Mac-Mini that we were no longer using. It is mounted on the wall (they sell these on Amazon) and is directly hooked into the TV via an HDMI cable. We can control with the Apple keyboard and mouse. Alternatively, because we also set up an internal wifi network with an old router, we can control with an app on our iphones or ipads.

Movies are ripped onto the Mac at home and added to the media library. I usually then just copy it onto a flash drive and bring it with me to the trailer each time to add to the trailer's Mac Mini.

In the bedroom, the content can be streamed via wifi from the MacMini to an iPad connected to the bedroom TV using Plex as a server.

Originally thought of taking one of our 3 AppleTV's from home, but figured that it wasn't worth doing if all I needed was to stream content from the MacMini. The iPad is where I usually download content and with the Lightning to HDMI adapter, the iPad plugs directly into either TV. There's also a wall mount for the iPad in the bedroom above the TV.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Bookmark 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums