Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Motorized entenna

Hi!
I have a 1978 31' Excella that I am polishing and restoring the outside. My motorized entenna has not worked in years, does anybody know if I can get parts. I think it might be the gears, the motor runs but the entenna does not move. I don't really use it but it would be nice if it worked as original. Or should I remove it to make the trailer more streamline looking? Would modern entenna look funny?

Thanks everybody!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Jim,

Same problem here. I'd like to hear about any solution you find.

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I'm not sure if the motorized Skyliner is still available, I have only seen one in my life and it was non-operational as well. I do know the non-motorized Skyliner is still available in an amplified and a non-amplified model. If you really want to keep your coach somewhat genuine I would recommend staying with the Skyliner, they just look vintage, huge, expansive elements, very trailerish. (I didn't say trailer-trashy-ish)

Maybe you can give Braund, a division of Barker manufacturing, a call. The number I have got for them on a recent owner's manual is (616) 965-2371

Good Luck and let us know what you find,

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
Finally Retired

, Washington
We have a brand new winegard motor the PO gave us we use a Sat dish on tripod so don't need it. The winegard people said it cost 300 ish when they sold them so must be a good one. Not sure if this is what you need I will get a pict and model and post.
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Thanks Dave,

Do you want to sell the motor? If so how much would you like to sell it for? Does it include the gearing I think my motor is ok, but the gears are striped.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Chas,
I was not able to get through to the # (616)965-2371 do you know what city there in so I can call info.

Thank!
Old 07-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jim,

If all you need is the gears, (assuming they are like the handcrank ones) you can get the replacements here:

http://www.mobile-mart.com/tabl4.htm
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Brett G,

Thank you! I will call them on Monday. I am amazed everytime I need something on my A/S this Forum helps me out. Love it!
Old 07-19-2003, 07:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Miller
Chas,
I was not able to get through to the # (616)965-2371 do you know what city there in so I can call info.

Thank!
They are supposedly in Battle Creek, Michigan. Maybe the area code has changed? The paperwork I have on my new replacement unit has got to be fairly recent even though my antennae as shipped looked as if it had sat around the warehouse for a while. These days with all the corporate buyouts no telling where they moved off to, India, Southeast Asia, ?,?,?. You do have a Skyliner, correct?

Chas
Old 07-20-2003, 07:10 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
where can you still buy a complete skyliner antenna? I thought only a few replacement parts were available...

I replaced the gears on mine a couple of weeks ago; found the kit at my local RV supply store. But there's something not quite right with it, still. the raise and rotate functions seem to be stuck together. something seems to be too tight, after attaching that worm gear. when I had the antenna off of the casting, and the old stripped gears removed, it worked like its supposed to: push up, and the casting that supports the housing would rotate; pull down, and that casting wouldn't rotate, but the shaft would still spin. attaching the new worm gear seems to have locked these 2 things together. Now, push or pull, when the crank is turned, the antenna raises (or lowers), and the whole thing rotates, too!

I found an old installation manual on line, complete with exploded parts diagrams, etc...but whatever the mechanism is that performs or separates these 2 functions is not described in the manual. it must be built-in to the housing that attaches to the roof.
anyway...I've seen the gear replacement kit in that catalog that was mentioned, but haven't ever seen any other replacement parts advertised on line.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Yes Chuck,

The manual models are definitely still available, I got mine from my local Airstream dealer. I didn't say they were the most user-friendly antennaes out there, just the most era-correct ones. Maybe yours has got a problem with the gear install but even when they work right they can be a bit canterkerous (sp) to deal with. You have got to be sure the antennae is pointing straight ahead and that your handle is in the "lower" position before you crank it down or the whole thing will try to lower in the improper position. I think the problem is that the Skyliner doesn't have the arrows that line up telling you it is ok to start lowering the thing.

Chas
Old 07-20-2003, 09:16 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I just open up the middle vent and look to see if its in the right spot before lowering. the hard part is that it still wants to rotate as I'm lowering it sort of like trying to land a helicopter with no tail-rotor....
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
Finally Retired

, Washington
This is what ithe Wineguard looks like let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im001616 (2).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	2380  
Finally Retired