Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
LCD TV Mounting Bracket - One More Question

I have followed some the past excellent discussions on this subject, and I have another question.

We have the 2004 30' Classic model, with the front couch and the dinette, separated by the credenza. We've been putting our TV on the credenza facing the front when we're sitting on the couch, then turning the TV around to watch from the dinette. The TV goes on the floor when we're towing.

I've been thinking of getting a flat screen TV with a wall mounted bracket between the credenza and the couch, like some of you have, and as now offered as an option in the new Classic trailers. This appears to be better than having the TV on the credenza and on the floor.

I understand that Airstream's MSRP for this option on the 2005 models like ours, including both the bracket and the TV, is $1600.

The factory service department says they will install just the wall mounting bracket alone for just under $300, about $200 for the bracket and parts, plus labor -- I don't know what comprises the other $1,300 -- the 15" Sharp TV that they are using (Model LC-15S-1U-B) can be purchased for about $500, but maybe a part of it is dealer markup. ??)

The Sharp TV looks like it could be a good choice for us, but perhaps in silver rather than black as Airstream is using, and that's what I am leaning toward buying, although there are probably other good choices also.

However, I see from the Sharp USA website that they also offer an under the cabinet mounting bracket for about $200 that looks pretty neat (Sharp's Item AN-PUCM). http://sharp.smartermall.com/product.asp?sku=2439632.

I was wondering when I saw that bracket whether the TV could be mounted to hang from the bottom of the overhead cabinet that is immediately above the credenza.

I don't know whether that bracket can be locked in place, but in addition to rotating 360 degrees, you can also tilt the TV up horizontally so it's out of the way when not in use, in addition to a couple other nice features.

It looks like the TV together with this mounting bracket would cost about $700 total.

Has anyone mounted their TV so it hangs beneath this overhead cabinet? (I suppose you could also mount the TV to hang beneath one of the kitchen cabinets, but it might be more in the way there.)

John
Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I don't have answers to your ???, but I am glad you posted this info. We are looking into possibilities for replacement of the 13' portable TV we have been using and have looked at a number of the overhead TV/DVD's available. Unfortunately, the biggest screen size we have seen is just over 10'', too small for us. Your bracket might be the answer. We have also seen a palmsized plug-in adapter made by AverMedia for laptop computers (Windows based), which also will record (like TiVo). Not quite sure I understand all the tech. stuff, but that also sounds interesting.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
lcd tv

John, We are thinking about a Sharp also, they are suposed to be the best on the market now. I seen someplace that the black frame is easier for your eyes to see the picture than the silver or light color. Also another artical that said best for vewing 4 to 6 feet away a 20 inch is best. We have an older trailer and planning on mounting it on a swing arm on the partition between the front and rear of the trailer then we can view it in bed or in the front of the trailer.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
John, We are thinking about a Sharp also, they are suposed to be the best on the market now. I seen someplace that the black frame is easier for your eyes to see the picture than the silver or light color. Also another artical that said best for vewing 4 to 6 feet away a 20 inch is best.
Marvin
Marvin -

You're probably right about black being easier on the eyes. Maybe that's why Airstream has theirs in black.

I wouldn't mind a bigger TV but 15" is big enough for us to see, plus you significantly increase the cost, and weight, when you increase the size.

John
Old 12-17-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Wow! $179 for that Sharp mount seems mighty high. I bought an OmniMount FD flip down on eBay for under $60 (list price around $109) that I'd recommend. Do an eBay search for OmniMount flip to see one.

Most LCD TVs conform to what's called the VESA standard. This is a 75 or 100 mm square pattern of threaded holes on the back. All aftermarket mounts and most factory ones attach to these mounting holes. Look at the link in flyfisher's post and you can see the mounting screws.

I haven't seen any flip-down mounts that lock. Personally, I wouldn't depend on any mount alone to support the TV in transit. There's too much bouncing. Remember, these are meant to hold a TV that's not shaking around. I suspect the plastic cabinet would crack pretty quickly if you didn't add some external means of support.

I'm using some Velcro straps from Camping World to hold my TV in the stowed position. The new Airstreams use a combination of Velcro straps and wall-mounted stops for the same purpose.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I'll try to post pictures of my set up when I get home. Consists of the following:
  1. Airstream wall bracket w/ integrated velcro tie downs - I upgraded the wimpy plastic wall stops that Airstream applies to the bolts w/ large threaded rubber mounts. (Think this was about $30 from A/S for the metal mount, $15 from A/S for the velcro strap, and $5 at Lowes for the upgraded rubber stops)
  2. Omnimount LCD Cantilever Wall Mount ($60 bucks on Ebay - retails for $120 at Circuit City)
  3. Panasonic 20" LCD - outstanding picture ($800 at CostCo, retails for $1099)
The LCD TV's maiden voyage will be tomorrow morning but I have absolutely no worries. The TV has almost no movement once it's it sinched to the wall with the velcro strap and any movement is absorbed by the larger rubber stops. I was amazed at the additional support these larger rubber feet added. Holding a 20 LCD TV snug to the wall is no small task - especially on an articulating arm. Airstream may want to take a look at the rubber stops that I'm using and add them to the current trailers and motorhomes.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
This is just a guess on my part, but I just also got a mount for an LCD TV installed while the trailer was in for some warranty work.

The additional charge the factory may be bundling into the price is the cost of the additional wiring run for the cable and power connections.

My dealer asked if I wanted them to do it or do it myself. Since they were talking about running the wire in the wall, it would require panel removal, etc. at $75/hr.

I opted not to have it done because I have a TV connector about 4' or less from where the TV will be mounted.

Plus, I think they are charging MSRP for the Sharp TV's.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
I'll try to post pictures of my set up when I get home. Consists of the following:
  1. Airstream wall bracket w/ integrated velcro tie downs - I upgraded the wimpy plastic wall stops that Airstream applies to the bolts w/ large threaded rubber mounts. (Think this was about $30 from A/S for the metal mount, $15 from A/S for the velcro strap, and $5 at Lowes for the upgraded rubber stops)
  2. Omnimount LCD Cantilever Wall Mount ($60 bucks on Ebay - retails for $120 at Circuit City)
The LCD TV's maiden voyage will be tomorrow morning but I have absolutely no worries. The TV has almost no movement once it's it sinched to the wall with the velcro strap and any movement is absorbed by the larger rubber stops. I was amazed at the additional support these larger rubber feet added. Holding a 20 LCD TV snug to the wall is no small task - especially on an articulating arm. Airstream may want to take a look at the rubber stops that I'm using and add them to the current trailers and motorhomes.

Joe
Joe - Please do post your pics. I'd like to see them, and also hear how you make out on your trip. I had just looked at the Panasonic's at Costco earlier this week. They're really nice.

John
Old 12-17-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
This is just a guess on my part, but I just also got a mount for an LCD TV installed while the trailer was in for some warranty work.

The additional charge the factory may be bundling into the price is the cost of the additional wiring run for the cable and power connections.

Dennis
Dennis -

I'll have to doube check whether they included the wiring cost in the estimate I got, because if we get the wall mounted version we'd want them to do the wiring also.

John
Old 12-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Here it is.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	9756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	9757  

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	9758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	9759  

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	9760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	9761  

Old 12-17-2004, 06:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Here it is.......

Joe -

That was fast! Thanks! That sure looks nice and secure -- I see what you mean abouty those rubber stops. Good idea.

John
Old 12-18-2004, 07:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you have a location where you can mount the tv in a stationary position Walmart has a pretty good mount. It is adjustable but not something I would want to do as part of set up and tear down before moving, you need to use an allen wrench each time (stored in the bolt so I can find it in the spring ). The other part is attached to the tv, it has a vesa mount pattern and the vertical adjustment. I used a piece of 3/4" wood inside the cabinet wall from frame to frame for support. It went 4000 miles this summer and still is solid.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LCD Mount.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	9768  
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 AM   #13
Craftsman

I've been fllowing his thread because I want to do the same and must say it's a very nice set up.I think 20" is the perfect size for this viewing distance. Joe, what model and year coach do you have? Nice interior.
Jack
Old 12-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Joe, what model and year coach do you have? Nice interior.
Jack
It's a 1987 29' Sovereign. Over the past year I've spent a signifigant amount of time redecorating. Joe
Old 12-19-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Expand search to include "Monitor Mounts"...

We added a Sharp Aquos 14" LCD TV to our trailer, and were put off by some of the extremely expensive VESA Mounts (as noted above, now three sizes of square hole patterns using metric machine screws to mount...) Picture is great though process to repeat setup and channel search is mildly painful...

In addition to expensive TV mounts, we found basic "U-Joint" wall mount (pivots left/right and up/down and locks in place) with about 3" standoff from wall at Sears and Fry's (Computer/Tech Superstores..) for under $34... These are often inarea of computer LCD Monitors, which have same rear VESA mounting holes and stands as TV's. If you need swing arms, swivels etc this won't work, but for us mounting on side wall of Fridge cabinet facing couch that was enough...

We tried to get Sharp to recommend power plug, since TV actually runs on 12V, and yet it comes only with converter/transformer to take 110v back to 12v, and they rather curtly told us the TV must be pluggged into 110v... I assume that is driven by need for pure and clean power without fluctuations from typical RV 12V system... We solved with $20 "Inverter" to plug into cigarette plug and convert 12v up to 110 at up to 100 Watts... Hook up laptop computer with DVD drive/player and we have complete TV and DVD system for 12 or 110v....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
How or what do you do when the temp get's into the teens ???
My son called tonight and asked me if we had the LCD installed yet (haven't) and he says with the temp around 10 deg above tonight that's cold enough to break the LCD screen.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

JBMcG
I made a heavy duty plug for the 12 volt power plug in our AS. Our transformer converts 110v to 14 VDC. I eliminated the transformer and the set works great on 12 volts DC. Just make sure that you use a 12 volt heavy duty plug and that it has a good connection in the wall socket. If you have a poor 12 volt connection your picture will not be as clear. We don't mount our LCD on a cabinet or wall because we put in a nice soft place when we travel. Sometimes we bring it inside to watch HDTV.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #18
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
How or what do you do when the temp get's into the teens ???
My son called tonight and asked me if we had the LCD installed yet (haven't) and he says with the temp around 10 deg above tonight that's cold enough to break the LCD screen.

Garry
Garry,

I have the same concern, I have had the displays on my car radio's freeze. I am planning on getting an LCD but will remove it in the winter.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Airstream LCD TV Wall Bracket

Quote:

Joe
Dear Barkingspider,

Could you please let me know if you are happy with the support given by the Airstream LCD TV Wall Bracket. And if possible would you please provide the part # as I cannot find it in the Airstream online parts book.

I have purchased a 17" widescreen LCD for our camper and I want to ensure it doesn't get damaged while we are in transit.

Thanks!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Has anyone considered using a widescreen laptop computer as a substitute for a flatscreen? My wife and I were considering mounting our 17" Sharp Aquos to the 28 ft CCD that we are about to purchase. But since I was planning to bring my Dell 17" widescreen Inspiron on our 6 + month trip anyway, we can consolidate the computer (with wireless Internet connection - we can go to a local cafe and hook up for free), flat screen TV, DVD player, mp3 player, digital photo editor, etc. all into one. And we don't need a mounting bracket - we can just place it on a shelf. And since it comes with a chargeable battery, we can still use it if we are off the grid for an extended period. And with the latest screen technology of 64MB Radeon X300, or an upgrade to to either 128MB Radeon or 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800, your desktop picture is as good as a flat screen (some people would even argue that the picture is better).

- Mike
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote