Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Dear Barkingspider,

Could you please let me know if you are happy with the support given by the Airstream LCD TV Wall Bracket. And if possible would you please provide the part # as I cannot find it in the Airstream online parts book.
Thanks!
Sorry I don't have the part number but I'm very happy with the support. But remember I did add some additional rubber mounts to. I've found the rubber mounts on the ends of the bolts really let you snug the strap against the TV. I've been on a few trips since installing it and I absolutely love it. Doesn't appear to move around at all. There's also the cool factor of having your LCD TV swivel out once your all set up. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
[QUOTE=sarmimi]Has anyone considered using a widescreen laptop computer as a substitute for a flatscreen?

Yes, but we have not found a satisfactory tuner unit that plugs into the notebook's USB2 or F/W ports. Otherwise, there's no way to feed video into our IBM, HP, or Apple notebooks that will display on the notebook screen.

We like the consolidated unit idea. We always have our notebook computers with us.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
Sorry I don't have the part number but I'm very happy with the support. But remember I did add some additional rubber mounts to. I've found the rubber mounts on the ends of the bolts really let you snug the strap against the TV. I've been on a few trips since installing it and I absolutely love it. Doesn't appear to move around at all. There's also the cool factor of having your LCD TV swivel out once your all set up. Joe
Thanks! I'll contact my local Airstream dealer to get the part number(s). And I already have your improvements on my husband's "Honey Do" list (he is just thrilled).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Michelle,
When you call, ask for Pete or myself..Vern
Good Luck,
53FC
ps..we've already had several request for this item..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
You can expect my call!

Hi Vern,

You are the person I thought about contacting. I just didn't know if this was your "area" at the New Hampshire Airstream dealer. You can expect my call in the next day or two.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Hi Vern,

You are the person I thought about contacting. I just didn't know if this was your "area" at the New Hampshire Airstream dealer. You can expect my call in the next day or two.

Thanks!
myboyburt,
Pete is the one you should ask for, rightly so, as he's the Parts Manager...
But, if he's not there..I'll be more than happy to help..
Our's is a "team effort"...
Whenever he has questions, He comes to me..
Look forward to talking with you folks..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
The part number for the installation kit is"
Airstream's #111125
This will get you the TV bracket installation kit.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Thanks Vern!

Part is ordered (Yikes, it's a pricey enchancement) and "The Tube" will be in for service on April 4th.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Part is ordered (Yikes, it's a pricey enchancement) and "The Tube" will be in for service on April 4th.

Thanks for all your help!
I'll keep an eye out for it..
You're welcome..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Sounds like it's already ordered.

I found a good selection of brackets at circuitcity.com.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I did do some research on getting just the Airstream wall bracket and adding brand X Arm and VESA mount to attach our LCD to it as it would be about 1/2 the cost of going with the Airstream solution. But in the end I took the easier (though more $$$) way out and just ordered the complete kit from our local Airstream dealer. Maybe not the frugal way but my head was spinning from trying to figure out what would work if I tried to piece things together myself and I know the unit from Airstream will properly support my LCD when our Airstream is in transit (I know, I'm a wimp).

Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
Lcd Tv

Hey John,

Just bought an LCD yesterday. Magnavox 15". Great picture and sound. Still out on if we should mount on wall. I've been shocked over the 12 years we've been pulling and the seven we've been fulltime how much bounce we get while on the road. Even with a 34' we sometimes have things re-arranged when we stop. At this point, I feel we will leave the TV on the shelf in the living room or move it to the chest in the bedroom. The silver color does not bother our eyes and it matches our VCR/DVD player and makes a nice combination. Good luck and travel safe.
See Ya down the road. Of course we'll put it down when we're on the road.
Budsinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

15 inch at kame apart for $299 bracket $30 install yourself......
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Laptop Instead of LCD

Recently been down this whole train of thought myself and we selected the Toshiba Qosmio G25 AV513 over a standard LCD, etc. The laptop has a great picture , built-in tuner and a nice remote. It's a bit pricey at $3,000 but we justified the expense from a portability and integration perspective since we won't have to carry all the cables and separate devices needed to accomplish the tasks... tuner, dvd, dvr, etc and it plays video games

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Qosmio_G25_AV513/4505-3121_7-31413530.html?tag=topprods

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #35
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, folks. Here's my setup.

$1300 15" ThinkPad by Lenovo (mine still says IBM) - the R52E workhouse model as seen on TV in the clutz commercial, not one of the sexy racehorse models like the carbon-fibre T or X series. (My old ThinkPad was a T-21. It lasted five years before the system board went.)

$79 WinTV USB 2.0. by Hauppauge. Comes with a remote and is cable-ready, functions as a PCR for recording shows and movies, can display full screen or as window. Okay performance on the laptop.

$300 17-inch NEC Multisync LCD borrowed from my home system when I travel.

Boondocking I run the Multisync and the laptop off a $99 Sima 250w inverter and close the laptop to turn off its display. The external monitor runs on 12V, so I might wire an outlet for it to get it off the inverter.

I already had the monitor and needed the laptop for an Aircard for work, so this was a relatively cheap way to get my DVD player, TV, and internet connection all in one device.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

I just purchased a 17" flat panel TV. It should be here Friday. I'm going to fabricate a swinging arm mount so that I can view it from two directions and swing it flush to the side wall when not in use. If anyone is interested, I can post picks when its finished. A freind of mine is a great welder and metal worker, Im sure he can make them for less than $200.

Scott
68 Safari
niss1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Interested

Hey Scott,

This sounds like a great idea - something I could use in our rig. I would be very interested in seeing some pics.

Thanks,

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Count me in as well

Scott,

I'd like to see the end result of your friends handiwork as well. We have a 15" Panasonic HDTV in our Excella and it's awesome. I've been debating on whether to keep the original TV shelf that's mounted on the side of the fridge or to add the swingarm.

I think the swingarm solution will be best for us, so now it's down to picking which one.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
We decided to have the factory install a wall mounted bracket for us, so we stopped at Jackson Center at the end of June on our way to Montana so they could do this.

We are very happy that we went this route, and used the TV with our Dish satellite system most of the summer (except when we were in Canada).

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of this, and our trailer is now in storage for the winter. For those who have not seen what the factory mount looks like, here's a description (at least that's how they did it in our 30' Classic):

First, they put affixed a wood box against the wall just above the credenza. This box is approx. 12" wide, by 18" high, and is tapered to fit the curvature of the wall so the TV is held vertical. It has a hole in the middle, to run the wires from the TV through rather than have them entirely exposed.

Next, they affixed an Omni cantilever wall mounting bracket, to which they have added a customixed, matching aluminum backplate that provides extra strength and also has slots on the sides for a large velcro belt that keeps the TV held against the wall when you travel.

We put the satellite receiver on the credenza just below the TV, hook everything up, and we're ready to go! We can turn the TV to watch from either the dinette or the front sofa.

The cost for the factory to do this was quite reasonable, considering what the entire wall mount consisted of. If anyone is considering doing the work themself, you might wish to consider buying Airstream's bracket.

John
Old 10-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
website for cantilever arm mounting bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
.... they affixed an Omni cantilever wall mounting bracket, to which they have added a customixed, matching aluminum backplate that provides extra strength and also has slots on the sides for a large velcro belt that keeps the TV held against the wall when you travel.....The cost for the factory to do this was quite reasonable, considering what the entire wall mount consisted of. If anyone is considering doing the work themself, you might wish to consider buying Airstream's bracket.
We picked up the backplate from Airstream when we were out there $38 and change, reasonable. We decided to purchase the arm separately since their kit was quite pricey as noted previously by other posters. We found the omni cantilever arm on the web for less than $60.
www.monstronix.com/product_info.php?products_id=4000
Total cost $100 for Airstream backplate and cantilever arm. Now we have to get the LCD. Still want to get more info on the best solutions for boondocking without having to run the generator, any suggestions out there????
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote