Old 12-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Expand search to include "Monitor Mounts"...

We added a Sharp Aquos 14" LCD TV to our trailer, and were put off by some of the extremely expensive VESA Mounts (as noted above, now three sizes of square hole patterns using metric machine screws to mount...) Picture is great though process to repeat setup and channel search is mildly painful...

In addition to expensive TV mounts, we found basic "U-Joint" wall mount (pivots left/right and up/down and locks in place) with about 3" standoff from wall at Sears and Fry's (Computer/Tech Superstores..) for under $34... These are often inarea of computer LCD Monitors, which have same rear VESA mounting holes and stands as TV's. If you need swing arms, swivels etc this won't work, but for us mounting on side wall of Fridge cabinet facing couch that was enough...

We tried to get Sharp to recommend power plug, since TV actually runs on 12V, and yet it comes only with converter/transformer to take 110v back to 12v, and they rather curtly told us the TV must be pluggged into 110v... I assume that is driven by need for pure and clean power without fluctuations from typical RV 12V system... We solved with $20 "Inverter" to plug into cigarette plug and convert 12v up to 110 at up to 100 Watts... Hook up laptop computer with DVD drive/player and we have complete TV and DVD system for 12 or 110v....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
How or what do you do when the temp get's into the teens ???
My son called tonight and asked me if we had the LCD installed yet (haven't) and he says with the temp around 10 deg above tonight that's cold enough to break the LCD screen.

Garry

Old 12-20-2004, 11:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

JBMcG
I made a heavy duty plug for the 12 volt power plug in our AS. Our transformer converts 110v to 14 VDC. I eliminated the transformer and the set works great on 12 volts DC. Just make sure that you use a 12 volt heavy duty plug and that it has a good connection in the wall socket. If you have a poor 12 volt connection your picture will not be as clear. We don't mount our LCD on a cabinet or wall because we put in a nice soft place when we travel. Sometimes we bring it inside to watch HDTV.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 AM   #18
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
How or what do you do when the temp get's into the teens ???
My son called tonight and asked me if we had the LCD installed yet (haven't) and he says with the temp around 10 deg above tonight that's cold enough to break the LCD screen.

Garry
Garry,

I have the same concern, I have had the displays on my car radio's freeze. I am planning on getting an LCD but will remove it in the winter.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Airstream LCD TV Wall Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
I'll try to post pictures of my set up when I get home. Consists of the following:
  1. Airstream wall bracket w/ integrated velcro tie downs - I upgraded the wimpy plastic wall stops that Airstream applies to the bolts w/ large threaded rubber mounts. (Think this was about $30 from A/S for the metal mount, $15 from A/S for the velcro strap, and $5 at Lowes for the upgraded rubber stops)
  2. Omnimount LCD Cantilever Wall Mount ($60 bucks on Ebay - retails for $120 at Circuit City)
  3. Panasonic 20" LCD - outstanding picture ($800 at CostCo, retails for $1099)
The LCD TV's maiden voyage will be tomorrow morning but I have absolutely no worries. The TV has almost no movement once it's it sinched to the wall with the velcro strap and any movement is absorbed by the larger rubber stops. I was amazed at the additional support these larger rubber feet added. Holding a 20 LCD TV snug to the wall is no small task - especially on an articulating arm. Airstream may want to take a look at the rubber stops that I'm using and add them to the current trailers and motorhomes.

Joe
Dear Barkingspider,

Could you please let me know if you are happy with the support given by the Airstream LCD TV Wall Bracket. And if possible would you please provide the part # as I cannot find it in the Airstream online parts book.

I have purchased a 17" widescreen LCD for our camper and I want to ensure it doesn't get damaged while we are in transit.

Thanks!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Has anyone considered using a widescreen laptop computer as a substitute for a flatscreen? My wife and I were considering mounting our 17" Sharp Aquos to the 28 ft CCD that we are about to purchase. But since I was planning to bring my Dell 17" widescreen Inspiron on our 6 + month trip anyway, we can consolidate the computer (with wireless Internet connection - we can go to a local cafe and hook up for free), flat screen TV, DVD player, mp3 player, digital photo editor, etc. all into one. And we don't need a mounting bracket - we can just place it on a shelf. And since it comes with a chargeable battery, we can still use it if we are off the grid for an extended period. And with the latest screen technology of 64MB Radeon X300, or an upgrade to to either 128MB Radeon or 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800, your desktop picture is as good as a flat screen (some people would even argue that the picture is better).

- Mike
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Dear Barkingspider,

Could you please let me know if you are happy with the support given by the Airstream LCD TV Wall Bracket. And if possible would you please provide the part # as I cannot find it in the Airstream online parts book.
Thanks!
Sorry I don't have the part number but I'm very happy with the support. But remember I did add some additional rubber mounts to. I've found the rubber mounts on the ends of the bolts really let you snug the strap against the TV. I've been on a few trips since installing it and I absolutely love it. Doesn't appear to move around at all. There's also the cool factor of having your LCD TV swivel out once your all set up. Joe
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
[QUOTE=sarmimi]Has anyone considered using a widescreen laptop computer as a substitute for a flatscreen?

Yes, but we have not found a satisfactory tuner unit that plugs into the notebook's USB2 or F/W ports. Otherwise, there's no way to feed video into our IBM, HP, or Apple notebooks that will display on the notebook screen.

We like the consolidated unit idea. We always have our notebook computers with us.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
Sorry I don't have the part number but I'm very happy with the support. But remember I did add some additional rubber mounts to. I've found the rubber mounts on the ends of the bolts really let you snug the strap against the TV. I've been on a few trips since installing it and I absolutely love it. Doesn't appear to move around at all. There's also the cool factor of having your LCD TV swivel out once your all set up. Joe
Thanks! I'll contact my local Airstream dealer to get the part number(s). And I already have your improvements on my husband's "Honey Do" list (he is just thrilled).

Old 03-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Michelle,
When you call, ask for Pete or myself..Vern
Good Luck,
53FC
ps..we've already had several request for this item..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
You can expect my call!

Hi Vern,

You are the person I thought about contacting. I just didn't know if this was your "area" at the New Hampshire Airstream dealer. You can expect my call in the next day or two.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Hi Vern,

You are the person I thought about contacting. I just didn't know if this was your "area" at the New Hampshire Airstream dealer. You can expect my call in the next day or two.

Thanks!
myboyburt,
Pete is the one you should ask for, rightly so, as he's the Parts Manager...
But, if he's not there..I'll be more than happy to help..
Our's is a "team effort"...
Whenever he has questions, He comes to me..
Look forward to talking with you folks..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
The part number for the installation kit is"
Airstream's #111125
This will get you the TV bracket installation kit.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Thanks Vern!

Part is ordered (Yikes, it's a pricey enchancement) and "The Tube" will be in for service on April 4th.

Thanks for all your help!