Old 07-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard , Texas
King antenna

I have a new 2019 FCFBTwin.
Will a King Jack replacement antenna fit ?
Do I need to modify / remove factory mounts ?
IIRC on an old style batwing it would rotate and be able to tune the signal. On my new AS there is no inside access for rotation , etc.
At home on my driveway the AS antenna does no receive well , static/pixelated.
???
Lafitte

Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
I have a new 2019 FCFBTwin.
Will a King Jack replacement antenna fit ?
Do I need to modify / remove factory mounts ?
IIRC on an old style batwing it would rotate and be able to tune the signal. On my new AS there is no inside access for rotation , etc.
At home on my driveway the AS antenna does no receive well , static/pixelated.
???
Lafitte
I installed a King/Jack antenna when the mechanism on our old Wineard batwing broke about 3 years ago, it works great. Installation was pretty easy.
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard , Texas
King antenna

I also did the same on a previous RV with a batwing, however the new AS has a disc that is not directional ....
So , will a King be any better than the original factory antenna ? Am i missing something ? Is there a directional control in my AS ?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Just a quick question. Are you pushing power booster button on the coax plate behind the television in the lounge so that the green LED is on?
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
I have heard of some airstreamers that reported improved reception when they replaced the flying saucer with a King Jack. Antenna theory supports this as a directional antenna (aimed the correct direction) will always have more signal gain than an omni-directional antenna. That said, while I have been contemplating this change, I have not done so myself, so I can't comment on how much reception improved.

You will have to cut a hole in the inside skin to allow the King Jack to be turned. I also believe it contains an amplifier and requires 12V at the antenna location.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
yes, the king uses the same amp

yes, you must drill a hole to turn the directional ant.

thus you must point it toward the station you want then do a scan on the tv.

maybe it's best to have two ant on the roof. start the scan after moving to a new camp site with the omni

then connect the king to get a better signal
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Sadly the original Winegard mushroom antenna that Airstream choose to replace the old batwing is not a very good antenna. My driveway is 8 miles from the largest TV tower east of the Mississippi. My signal is pixilated, and I pick up two channels from it.

The batwing design was excellent for analog signals. It did not perform well with new digital signals, but the company created the "Wingman" that you could add to the batwing that does directional Digital and doubles the range.

https://www.campingworld.com/winegar...efault&start=1

Winegard's Rayzor automatic is also relatively new, and it automatically finds the three best TV towers and zeros in on them. The reviews are horrible, not for its function, as it appears to work, but that it tends to succumb to the heat and fail quickly.

https://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto

My suggestion is to go with Dish network and a portable satellite dish you can place on the ground in a clearing. You'll have less invested in time and money. If you have Dish at home (about $119/mo), the RV add on is only $7/mo.

That is the route we took after doing the research.

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
We replaced the B-wing with the King Jack last Spring, it's been working great.
I scan in quarters and go with the one that gets the most desirable stations. The least is 22 the most is 48.
Plenty of 'off broadway' broadcasters but for the amount we watch, movie, news, once in a while, it's fine.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2729.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	345690  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Sadly the original Winegard mushroom antenna that Airstream choose to replace the old batwing is not a very good antenna. My driveway is 8 miles from the largest TV tower east of the Mississippi. My signal is pixilated, and I pick up two channels from it.

The batwing design was excellent for analog signals. It did not perform well with new digital signals, but the company created the "Wingman" that you could add to the batwing that does directional Digital and doubles the range.

https://www.campingworld.com/winegar...efault&start=1

Winegard's Rayzor automatic is also relatively new, and it automatically finds the three best TV towers and zeros in on them. The reviews are horrible, not for its function, as it appears to work, but that it tends to succumb to the heat and fail quickly.

https://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto

My suggestion is to go with Dish network and a portable satellite dish you can place on the ground in a clearing. You'll have less invested in time and money. If you have Dish at home (about $119/mo), the RV add on is only $7/mo.

That is the route we took after doing the research.
Already Had a Dish Tailgater and box. In process of hooking up a new splitter etc. Thanks for all the input. Will just live with existing OTA antenna.
Thanks All
Lafitte