Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LB , California
Question Kenwood TV Media System Confusion

We have a 2012 interstate lounge w 2 TVs. I have spent hours of road trips trying to figure this thing out! Here's the backstory- Before pickup, we had satellite tv installed for direct tv. Direct TV works fine on the individual TV's as we had 2 lines run from dish so each TV could have a box ( I know, silly ) Anyway, nothing else seems to be hooked up to the kenwood. Music from tuner and ipod are fine on all speakers but Play a DVD on the kenwood, we can hear it on the car speakers in the car-back and front, BUT no picture on either TV nor sound on the TV from the DVD playing on the kenwood.
So 2 questions - I want to hear what is playing on the TVthrough car speakers, not just Tv speakers. Whether it is through DVD playing on one TV, or through the kenwood DVD player throughout car, is either possible? And are the TV's linked at all. Is this possible? I have looked at kenwood manuals but not helpful for this problem! When we purchased this vehicle we had a coach training but not tv system training! If it seems we are very focused on the entertainment system, it bc we are cruising w 4 kids under 12. We have to keep chaos at bay! Thank you!!
Supercatspjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I would venture to say your problems have less to do with the Kenwood and more to do with the fact that you now have two different sources of video, one managed by the Kenwood, the other NOT.

Consequently, you now need an alternate means to direct the video traffic to the display. It sounds to me that the Kenwood output was disconnected from the TV to provide connection to the sat. There are switches that can be purchased to manage this, but it sounds like you will need two of them because of the way they wired you sat.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Don't know about the satellite TV, since I don't have that. However, in my Interstate, I can play a DVD through my Kenwood system and hear it through the car speakers (I don't do it while driving, of course; then I normally use the GPS and iPod dock). Never tried to feed video from the Kenwood to the televisions, so I don't know if there's even a video output in the system.

When I play a DVD in the front television, I CAN listen to it through the car speakers. On the television mount, behind the television on the passenger side, there is a little rocker switch that lets me select whether to feed the sound to the car speakers. You have to look for it, and it's not mentioned in any of the owner's manuals.

When I play a DVD through the rear television, there is no switch on the swing-away television mount, and I can only listen through the television speakers.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
On my 2011, the front TV has a switch that simply turns the TV speakers on and off. No car speaker option. Just the headphones or TV speakers. One in the rear was added by PO so TV speakers only.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
On my 2011, the front TV has a switch that simply turns the TV speakers on and off. No car speaker option. Just the headphones or TV speakers. One in the rear was added by PO so TV speakers only.
Well, my original DNX-7160 was stolen, and the audio installer who put in the DNX-7190 to replace it might have given me an extra by reassigning the switch. That might explain it. Next time I see him, I'll have to ask.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
The TV's are not linked to the Kenwood Dash unit. Each TV hs their owned DVD player built in.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Working on it

2014 Interstate - Front & Rear TVs (only play on TV Speakers, or front TV on headphone jacks).

Kenwood has inputs on it for 'rear camera' AUX so it CAN be connected to TV or Source; just need to pull some wire and cables.

I plan to do this; just got a 110 AC outlet wired into the cabinet where Power Control System is to plug my Internet router (Repeater) and Printer inside the cabinet. Will be working on figuring out how to get the cabling from Back setup to the Head Unit next time I get 12 hours to chase it.

METHOD:
Both TVs have a 'headphone jack' so easiest solution is to run a 1/8" Headphone to RCA Cables at other end (you'll need two pair wire running from TV to Head unit (total 4 wires). (May be an 1/8" Audio Input on Head Unit; should have looked when I rerouted all my USB cables from the Glove Box to the Dash Storage tray).

With this method the TV Volume control still controls unit (you'll only have Coach Audio on One TV at a time; but you can control Speaker Zones (Rear Kenwood Zone for when you want decent stereo on Rear TV; and Front Zone when Listening to Front TV).

My wife an I like to stream Netflix at 1080p (I'm still on 4G unlimited plan at Verizon) and it stinks to listen to the audio on those poor TV Speakers.

For now I just hooked up a portable BOSE Companion Speaker System (the subwoofer takes up some space but it is awesome 2.1 Stereo.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
ALTERNATIVE: Attach bluetooth transmitter to TV; choose TV as source. reviews say some issues with Lag time; but for $25 I'd try this over pulling wire!

Amazon.com: TaoTronics® TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Players...) + 3.5mm Female to 2 RCA Male Cable: Kindle Store
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Can't find the green wire ..... Park ground. Any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1472503820.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	194000  
Old 08-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Can't find the green wire ..... Park ground. Any ideas.
Update. The very light wire in top plug is"green" just cut and grounded back to top of head unit, no park break warning now.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
Hi, I own a 2013 Interstate, the Kenwood DNX7190 has stopped working. Can I replace it with any other unit? Not a big fan of this unit anyway. Any tips are welcome.
Thanks in advance....
Suru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
Hi, I own a 2013 Interstate, the Kenwood DNX7190 has stopped working. Can I replace it with any other unit? Not a big fan of this unit anyway. Any tips are welcome.
Thanks in advance....
Yep, about anything you want; doesn't interface with steering controls very well so nothing lost.