Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
Kenwood Stereo 2013 Interstate

Hi,
I'm a new member. Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement for the Kenwood Stereo? The system is terrible, in terms of intuitiveness and controls. I'm not typically negative....and this is one of very few things I would change on this amazing vehicle! WE LOVE IT! The stereo has to go.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'd definitely head down to a car stereo place and try the user interfaces for a bunch of different units. Fitting in as much functionality into the unit as possible makes for non-intuitive interfaces. Many car systems are significantly larger than the traditional DIN mount units, likely for this very reason - it's just too hard to control CD/MP3/Bluetooth/FM/AM etc, let alone DVDs, etc.

It's high time for a touch screen, I think - multiple screens would certainly help.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

My Airstream uses a standard automotive dash board mount car radio. If yours is the same, you have lots of choices for not much money.
Mine lives in the overhead cabinet in the front on the street side. Access is easy and if all you want to do is change out the radio, you should be able to do it yourself.
Car radios all seem to have confusing, cryptic controls and to my old, deaf ears sound the same. Unless you are upgrading the sound, it would save you some $$ to spend some quality time with your Kenwood manual.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
Kenwood

Thanks!
The Sprinter is due for it's first 'check up'.... I'm going to ask them to replace it. The Kenwood, doesn't recognize a Bluetooth companion, after registering each one over and over... our Ford Truck is amazing as far as connectivity... this is ridiculous for $140K... I 'd expect the stereo to be user friendly.
The buttons to even turn the Kenwood on, are the size of 1/2 a tic tac mint..... you should see it. I'll take a photo.
Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
Hi,
I'm a new member. Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement for the Kenwood Stereo? The system is terrible, in terms of intuitiveness and controls. I'm not typically negative....and this is one of very few things I would change on this amazing vehicle! WE LOVE IT! The stereo has to go.
Personally, I like mine, but to each his own…

The Kenwood head unit replaces a Mercedes Benz stereo system that fit in the same hole. Go to Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: Owners Manuals and check out the Audio 20 owner's manual for a description of the system.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
The small buttons work for you? I just find them so hard to push and the Blue Tooth isn't super easy for more than one device....maybe I just need another lesson, before I go switching it out Thanks for the manual advice, I'll pull it up.
Susie
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
The small buttons work for you? I just find them so hard to push and the Blue Tooth isn't super easy for more than one device...
I don't try to pair more than one device at a time. Just my phone. Driver's the only one who NEEDS to pair via Bluetooth, anyway. Passengers can talk on the cell phone all they want without pairing up to the Kenwood unit.

I seldom have to touch the buttons at the bottom except to turn it on and off. The rest of the time, I just press "menu" on-screen, and take full advantage of the touchscreen.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote