Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Is there a good SMALL antenna?

I need to get an antenna for my Bambi II project, but the Winegard IV seems so huge for the little trailer top. Any suggestions for a smaller antenna with a good range? I saw the one that is a picture frame (pretty cool) but it only has a distance of 15 miles.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I have an indoor one I bought at walmart called a bat wing I put in my window and it picks up stations 60 miles away.
Jo
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Anyone else try an indoor antenna? There's not a whole lot of room inside a Bambi II, so I'm not sure if that's the route to go. It would be easy, though!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
The antenna is just a piece of thin plastic .about 14" long.Doesn't take much room to store or to use.
Jo
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
The antenna is just a piece of thin plastic .about 14" long.Doesn't take much room to store or to use.
Jo
Hey Gypsy Jo - can you point me to that product? I went to the Walmart website and typed "bat wing" under electronics and got ZIP. Google Bat Wing brings you to the Wineguards....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
RCA Digital Flat Antenna made for DTV.
Model# ANT1050XV
http://www.walmart.com/cp/TV-Antennas/4536
Jo
Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Have you seen the JACK off-air digital antennas yet?

Digital Over-the-Air HDTV Antenna

The cool part is that if you buy the complete unit, it doesn't need to be retracted, as it's shorter when mounted...or you can buy just the antenna and install it on your existing 'crank-up' mast...

I see the complete unit comes with a built-in digital signal strength meter so you can easily rotate the antenna for the best signal - great feature...

I don't have one, so can't give a high-five, but it looks like a great new innovation in an RV Tv antenna!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Have you seen the JACK off-air digital antennas yet?

Digital Over-the-Air HDTV Antenna

The cool part is that if you buy the complete unit, it doesn't need to be retracted, as it's shorter when mounted...or you can buy just the antenna and install it on your existing 'crank-up' mast...

I see the complete unit comes with a built-in digital signal strength meter so you can easily rotate the antenna for the best signal - great feature...

I don't have one, so can't give a high-five, but it looks like a great new innovation in an RV Tv antenna!
I've been curious about those too. I just repaired my old Braund Skyliner and it works great, but these did attract my attention. I like the signal finder feature too. PPL has them for $130.39 in Black or White right now.

Somebody get one and report for us.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I found this review from a guy who found it to be somewhat better in the same spot than his Winegard with the Wingman add-on. He also has a fairly detailed install description with quite a few pictures.

Since the PO removed my Argosy's antenna altogether to fix a leak, I'm starting from scratch and may give this a try.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'd love to hear if anyone has tried the Jack too. It would be nice to put one up & forget about it (I almost road off with my skyliner up one time!). Thanks all for the suggestions.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
My friend installed the Jack on his Airstream and loves it. I finally purchased and installed one today.

INSTALLATION:
It took me four hours ... but I'm slow it took most of my time getting the old unit off.. The only hangups I had was that the existing Wineguard hole was 1.5" and the Jack needed a 2" hole. It was tricky to keep the bit from walking, but I figured it out. Also, the footprint of the Jack is much smaller so I had to be generous with the Tremco.

PERFORMANCE:
I store my Airstream in a metal building. It was impossible to pick up any channels in the enclosure with my Wineguard. However, I picked up 6 channels with the Jack INDOORS. I suspect it will do substantially better once I get out into the great wide open. FWIW, my friend raves about the performance of his.

APPEARANCE:
Not sure I like the look. Looks like the half-dead, pale white E.T. Is riding on my roof. I'm happy with the result so far.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
My friend installed the Jack on his Airstream and loves it. I finally purchased and installed one today.

INSTALLATION:
It took me four hours ... but I'm slow it took most of my time getting the old unit off.. The only hangups I had was that the existing Wineguard hole was 1.5" and the Jack needed a 2" hole. It was tricky to keep the bit from walking, but I figured it out. Also, the footprint of the Jack is much smaller so I had to be generous with the Tremco.

PERFORMANCE:
I store my Airstream in a metal building. It was impossible to pick up any channels in the enclosure with my Wineguard. However, I picked up 6 channels with the Jack INDOORS. I suspect it will do substantially better once I get out into the great wide open. FWIW, my friend raves about the performance of his.

APPEARANCE:
Not sure I like the look. Looks like the half-dead, pale white E.T. Is riding on my roof. I'm happy with the result so far.
That's great to hear! My kids got me a Jack for Mother's Day, so your information is much appreciated! I wonder if you could paint it silver or gray so it doesn't look so obvious? Just thinking out loud! I'm going to be putting a white a/c on the top too, so I guess it's a moot point! Thanks again for the info.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Becky,

Please be sure to let us know of your experience with it? I'm thinking of getting one myself, for long-distance FM reception.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Aage, Jack makes the same antenna in a model that attaches to the end of the traditional Wineguard apparatus. That version is a simpler installation solution if you have the real estate to spare on your roof. The one I installed is all plastic and will probably need replacing at some point.

Becky, before you go through the pains of installation, you might at least consider a possible exchange for the other version made by Jack.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Aage, Jack makes the same antenna in a model that attaches to the end of the traditional Wineguard apparatus. That version is a simpler installation solution if you have the real estate to spare on your roof. The one I installed is all plastic and will probably need replacing at some point.

Becky, before you go through the pains of installation, you might at least consider a possible exchange for the other version made by Jack.
The trailer has no antenna at all. I will be installing it when I have the interior skins removed for rewiring, insulating, and all that fun stuff. Thanks for the heads up, though. And Aage, I'll give you a report in a year or two!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Ok then, I think you will be pleased with the Jack.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

I will check that out, UAP. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
INSTALLATION:
I picked one up today and am plannning on installing it this weekend. Any tips on getting the old one off? Any special tools required or is it as simple as removing the sheet metal screws on top of trailer and scraping away the sealant?

Thanks!
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Yes, it was fairly simple removing the old one. Remove screws and sealant. You may need a Dremel to knock the rivets off the stand that cradled the old antenna. The only tricky part to the install was increasing the diameter of the existing roof hole that the directional shaft goes through. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #20
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostream View Post
I picked one up today ...
Got it (Jack Antenna) on, and have to say the reception performance is very noticeable. I'm now picking up stations I didn't know existed! Added bonus is I get back prime roof real estate which allows me to add another AM Solar panel !
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote