Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Narrowsburg , New York
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick75
Is it the TV or the Cable?

What am I doing wrong? I can't get the Samsung TV to work with cable in the RV park in Homossasa, Fl. I tried the auto programming steps numerous times, made sure the booster switch was off, and even changed out the coaxial cable, just in case I had a bad cable, but still no luck. I went online in a chat with Samsung to trouble shoot but still no luck. The Samsung agent's last advice was try another TV on the cable to make sure it's not a cable problem. I don't see how that can be when the RVs on either side of us have no problems with their cable connection. This is a FC 2014 FB that was purchased new in August of this year and we have never had the opportunity to hook it up to cable before. Has anyone else had this problem with the Samsung TVs in the 2014 FC? I'm hoping someone in here smarter then me has the answer to our problem.
Rick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Have you made sure that the green light is off on the cable input panel? Did you switch the TV to Cable input for the scan?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
The booster in my 2012 has a number of selections. It took me a bit to recognize that I had to hit the button multiple times (slow learner here) to get it to park/cable. BTW, my booster was not the type that was described in the owner's manual. We've also encountered loose cables in the trailer.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Somewhere in your trailer there should be a wall plate with two coax connectors on it. It may be labelled SATELLITE. For the cable to work, there must be a jumper cable between the two connectors on that plate.

Unless I am mistaken (a distinct possibility) the TV uses the same input for cable as for antenna. But you will have to re-scan and you may have to select a type of cable system before you start the scan. You already said you were scanning each time, and that you had the push-button pressed to turn the green LED off, so it can only be an open circuit in the cable coax in the trailer or a problem in the TV, unless your cable jack at the CG isn't working. If you have a neighbor within reach, see if they will let you hook their cable to your jack on the pedestal.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Another possibility

I will just throw this out as something to check/think about. On our first outing with our 2015 28ft.Flying Cloud(our third Airstream) I could not get a signal with our Tailgater and Dish Network satellite receiver. Cable was not available at the State Park where we were staying. After returning, we had to take the trailer in to the dealer for a recall. I asked them to check the continuity of the satellite coax from the outside connection to the audio cabinet where the cable terminates to be connected to the receiver. I knew the Tailgater and receiver worked because I had connected them directly when on the trip and things worked just fine. The continuity check revealed that the cable connections at the outside port site had been reversed when installed. The satellite coax was connected to the cable port and vice/versa. You might have this checked just in case.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If your trailer has two jacks outside, one for cable and one for satellite then my statement about the two connector wall plate is not correct and Silverbee may be on to something.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
You may also want to make sure the TV is set to cable and then go thru the scan for channels. I tend to think of it as a two step process. First step is make sure AS is configured for the appropriate input: satellite, cable or over the air. The second step is to configure the TV(s) (I have 3) to the correct input and available channels.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Hook your cable up to your neighbors cable box and see if that works. Could be your box outside. Peace, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If the TV works on antenna and or sat then it's not the TV. Try suggestions above to switch outside connections, OR select Sat on your remote and then do an auto scan. If the later works then you know the outside connections are reversed.

Good luck, one of the more frustrating aspects of my camping experiences have come from trying to connect the TV and yet I recall as if yesterday when we did not even have a solid roof over our heads and electric connection was way out of our reach.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
I have large fingers and trying to tighten the cable connection was brutal and also very loose. A park attendant gave me a cable connector slip on thing that made hooking up extremely easy and tight. It just slid on the male connector at trailer wall and made life and the connection plus TV reception very clear.
panora2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Narrowsburg , New York
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick75
Thanks to all who responded. As it turns out, the problem was with the wiring done by Airstream at the factory. Who ever wired the jacks for cable and satellite on the outside plug for our unit reversed them so now to get cable reception I have to plug into the satellite jack. Needless to say, we're disappointed in Airstream's quality control. One would think a simple mistake like this would get caught before a unit leaves the factory.
Rick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick75 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. As it turns out, the problem was with the wiring done by Airstream at the factory. Who ever wired the jacks for cable and satellite on the outside plug for our unit reversed them so now to get cable reception I have to plug into the satellite jack. Needless to say, we're disappointed in Airstream's quality control. One would think a simple mistake like this would get caught before a unit leaves the factory.
Same as ours-See post #5 above. Our dealer switched the cables for me. I notified A/S customer service. They apologized and said it would be relayed to the proper people.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
proud owner

2006 16' International CCD
2007 25' International CCD FB
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
You don't know the half of it as far as quality control is concerned, HOWEVER, once I figure this stuff out, I feel like I know my Airstream better and once I get it working I love it despite the disappointments along the way!
ps...write it down somewhere, I am constantly having to learn things more than once, especially when it contradicts the manuals!
jmerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Baby steps.
Start with a piece of co-ax and run it from your cable pedestal to the back of the TV thereby bypassing all the trailer.
Do you have a signal now? If not, it's the TV or the source. Just because your neighbors have cable doesn't mean yours isn't cut or damaged.
If you do have a signal, change nothing in the TV and restore one thing at a time in the trailer until you discover what is happening.
I know I must have the booster off, auto program the TV, select "Cable", and on the outside I have two ports, "cable" and "SAT".
It's hard to see the labels.
I often wanted a small battery operated TV so I could hook it up outside. Simple test unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick75 View Post
Who ever wired the jacks for cable and satellite on the outside plug for our unit reversed them so now to get cable reception I have to plug into the satellite jack.
Airstream just shoves the unit out the door. It's up to the dealer to do a check on walkthrough.
But, I'll bet if you undid the outside wall plate, you'd find two connectors inside. Just reverse them back.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
I have large fingers and trying to tighten the cable connection was brutal and also very loose.
A park attendant gave me a cable connector slip on thing that made hooking up extremely easy and tight.
If I were King, I'd ban "F" connectors. I hate them too. The professional BNC is a million times better.
This tool?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31MQDEYVWHL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	336301  
Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm going to experiment with some options.
First, right angle, push-on "F" connector adaptors.
I think a straight push-on adapter will stick out too far, holding up the little door. Also, most pedestals have the coax sticking straight out, so it's easy to kick or snag.
Then I ordered a cheap 25' coax that looks like the jacket is smaller than the hex nut on the fitting. Thus the wrench will fit???