Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If you have a Skyliner like I do, there is no need to replace it with anything. They work great. That is assuming that you still have all the aluminum parts. Plastic parts like the gears and cover are available at TV Radio Satellite Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!.

I've never compared them, but I have difficulty believing that a smaller antenna, like a batwing will match the performance of the Skyliner. Just my opinion. If I didn't have a complete Skyliner, I'd not hesitate to use a batwing. I just don't see any reason to replace an antenna that works perfectly.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
If you have a Skyliner like I do, there is no need to replace it with anything.
unless...the situation I mentioned earlier in the thread. and not all of the parts are available. The innards that I needed are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
They work great. That is assuming that you still have all the aluminum parts. Plastic parts like the gears and cover are available at TV Radio Satellite Parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!.

I've never compared them, but I have difficulty believing that a smaller antenna, like a batwing will match the performance of the Skyliner. Just my opinion. If I didn't have a complete Skyliner, I'd not hesitate to use a batwing. I just don't see any reason to replace an antenna that works perfectly.
They do work great. But I did find that the batwing actually picked up a couple of stations that I wasn't able to pull in w/ the skyliner, tested with the same amplifier in the same spot in my driveway. I was surprised, too.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I concur the Batwing is better. I think is because the amplifier is in the head of the unit and does not suffer the loss of low level signal coming into the trailer to reach the amplifier mounted in the wall used by the coat hanger antennas.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
unless...the situation I mentioned earlier in the thread. and not all of the parts are available. The innards that I needed are not.

They do work great. But I did find that the batwing actually picked up a couple of stations that I wasn't able to pull in w/ the skyliner, tested with the same amplifier in the same spot in my driveway. I was surprised, too.
Thanks Chuck,

It's good to have info from someone who had actually used both. I'll keep it in mind if I need to change sometime.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I concur the Batwing is better. I think is because the amplifier is in the head of the unit and does not suffer the loss of low level signal coming into the trailer to reach the amplifier mounted in the wall used by the coat hanger antennas.
mine doesn't have an amplifier in the head of the unit; I had already purchased the wall-mounted one (has the co-ax connector, + a 12v outlet, and cable/antenna inputs) to use w/ my skyliner. So when I decided that I needed to replace the antenna itself, I opted for the non-amplified unit. (~30 bucks cheaper, at the time...and the wall-mount amplifier also cost ~$30...so, same investment in the end.)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As far as interfering with the center vent, I used the original antenna hole and installed the batwing so it stows at an angle off centerline and lays down between the center roof vent and fridge vent. I have not had any problems. You can also shorten the antenna mast so it stows further forward.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Rosie the Riveted

1975 27' Overlander
Balfour , BC
Thanks everyone. We're going to try set up TV by Skyliner as it's in good shape save for some cracks in the insulation (taped it for the try). I found an interior antenna connector at the local electronics shop so we'll keep you posted as to results.Thanks again.
KC
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
me , Texas
Biggysmalls,

Can you tell me how you get tv over the internet?

qratio@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
There are a ton of resources for streaming tv content over the net. Hulu.com is totally free and has a big collection of content. Netflix.com has an $8.00/month stream as much as you want account. You can download individual episodes from itunes and watch them later for about $1.00/episode. And there's lots of not so legal options like the pirate bay and other torrent sites that you can find on google.