Old 09-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Ipod Hookup

Has anyone hooked there Ipod up to there stereo as of yet?

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Wouldn't you just use the FM transmitter to broadcast at an unused frequency and pick it up through your tuner, like you would in the car?

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
iPod hookup

Yes, we have hooked up our iPod to both home and auto stereos with a cassette adapter. Works pretty good.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Yes with audio input jack in the front of our JVC receiver

Yes we have hooked our Creative Nomad to our stereo. We replaced the sony receiver with a jvc dvd receiver that had an audio imput right in the front of the unit so we just had to plug it in with a mini jack cable. Not many receivers come with the audio imput right in the front, that was a plus for us. By the way our Titan has the same audio imput so we just move the nomad from the truck to the trailer when we park.

There is always a way, it just depends on how much you want to spend to get it.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Ipod

I just never really liked the FM modulator.I have always liked it to connect directly to the system.The sound quality is just nice to have.I am going to check it out and see what i can do.I will post the progress in a while.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
The answer you seek is here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15726 but I'll cheat and tell you that you want a Sony XA-300 adapter if you have a sony headunit. Works perfectly.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Ipod Mounting & A/S Integration...

Thanks for the Ipod tips -- I just ordered the XA-300 from www.crutchfield.com. Here is a tip if you're planning to order, here are some codes I found which save a little money.

Crutchfield coupon $10 off $50 PA133
Crutchfield coupon $20 off $100 PA166

The XA-300 is $99.99 so add batteries $1.99 (item no. AAAFA26) to get your order total over $100 and save $20. ~$80 for the XA-300 which is the cheapest I've found.

-----------

So once I've got the XA-300 installed and mounted -- what is the best way to install the Ipod itself to get power and line-out to the Sony head unit in an elegant way. I'm wondering if anyone has found an Ipod "wall mount" or some other way to mount their Ipod? I guess it can just lay on the bottom of the cabinet, but that doesn't seem very elegant.

Is there 12v power behind the stereo that can be tapped to power the Ipod? One possible solution would be to wire in a 12v cig. lighter behind the stereo, and then use a solution like the Belkin 12v + line out plug. This would run out to a possible Ipod base, but would get power & line out behind the stereo to connect to the Sony XA-300. Thoughts? How have other integrated the Ipod into their A/S?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Does the stereo mount flush with with cabinet on the Safari? My CCD has the stereo inside, something the changed in the 06 models to look like the safaris, so I just velcroed the XA-300 to the top of the stereo casing. Of course, this hides everything behind the sliding doors. I haven't come up with an iPod power solution yet, nor a custom mount.

For my Touareg, I bought the Seidio iMount, and it stands upright in the center console lighter plug, next to the shifter. It is a charging cradle with line level audio out.

You could easily add a lighter socket somewhere around the stereo, and use the iMount with the short arm. Since the iMount has a line level audio out, you will have a better sound quality and no need to make sure the volume is adjusted properly on the iPod. Just drop it in and play.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I think the answer to the flush mounted question is yes. Ours mounts just like the one in the picture below -- I think the back will be easy to access, but I haven't gotten into the cabinet yet.

Funny, but I just ordered a Seidio iMount for the Touareg 20 minutes ago. I've had the blitzsafe adapter for a year or so, but not the iMount. I want a charging solution, and mount... hopefully the Seidio will do the trick. Adding a 12v socket in the trailer sounds like a pretty good idea. You could just grab Ipod + iMount and bring both back. You'd only have to unplug the line to the stereo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	14943  
Old 09-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Easier way...

Thought about putting in an input jack for my MP3 player (mine is a Dell) but then went the easy route and bought a little FM transmitter for it. Works in the tow vehicle, the trailer, at home (even came with a 12 volt power cord - very handy). Just a thought...

mike
Old 09-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
disregard my last - my browser did not bring up the many better posts others made on this subject.

my bad.

mike
Old 10-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Is it possible to hook an iPod to the Sony CDX-F5000 player that comes standard in the newer Airstreams? The Sony has aux audio input RCA jacks but there seems to be no way to select the iPod when it is connected. This seems very, very odd. Hope someone can offer a way to make the connection. Thanks in advance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The Sony CD stereo which came with my '05 started skipping on CDs. I replaced it with Sony CDX GT300 which was a easy swap-just slide it into bracket and plug in using existing wiring harness. A 5 minute job. Anyway the new one has a front panel aux input. I use a Cowon A2 (mass storage compliant) instead of Ipod, and it works fine.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
IPod trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Is it possible to hook an iPod to the Sony CDX-F5000 player that comes standard in the newer Airstreams? The Sony has aux audio input RCA jacks but there seems to be no way to select the iPod when it is connected. This seems very, very odd. Hope someone can offer a way to make the connection. Thanks in advance.
Hi Mike,

Sorry I didn't give you a more detailed rundown at the rally...just never enough time.

To access the IPod through your Sony, after plugging into the auxilary jacks, using the SOURCE button select CD/DVD, then using the MODE button select AUX. That should do it. I am doing this from memory so I could be screwed up, but I am pretty sure this is the trick. Try it and post or e-mail back if I am having a premature senior moment.

John