Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Great news Bill! I usually have the IPod volume on high and then adjust the radio volume accordingly. I also go to settings in the IPod and make sure I select EQ OFF and then there is that volume limiter there too to check. And just an additional thought on the PC for transfer there is the setting edit>preferences>playback>sound check (automatically adjusts sound playback volume to the same level) I am not crazy about that, think the songs might have to be reimported if that was enabled. Check the connectors for the IPod sometimes I work the plug out a bit and then the volume is much lower.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Did you check Radio Shack for a 8-track to Ipod adaptor?

I bet you could really upset their day asking that one.
Sounds to me like a trip to Radio Shack is in order! I'm thinking I should take a camera to catch the facial expressions.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
On the note of Ipod sound quality, it was pointed out to me that the Ipod should be in it's base, and the mini jack plugged into the base.

I could not believe the difference in sound. I was plugging the sound out mini plug into the head phone mini plug on top of the Ipod.

On my Ipod photo (a year or two old) plugging into the base deactivates the volume wheel on the Ipod, so you just adjustthe volume on your stereo amp.

If you already know this, disregard.

Jonathan
Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I'm going to try that Jonathon, thanks. I didn't know that. I don't have an IPod base but I do have a portable stereo/charger altec lansing with IPod base that perhaps I could try to see.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
aaah...the CDC3 mode is for the TV running through the stereo and it sounds great. I thought I was going to need to buy a FM modulator to do that.

Thanks for all the help on this thread.
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by billberk
It's a Sony system and Airstream provided an input for an RCA jack and a 12 volt adapter. I think they may have wired it wrong bacause the source selector on the Sony receiver will select tuner, cd changer, and DVD if a DVD is in the drive, but I can't get an AUX source at all.
Hi Bill
After selecting "aux" on the Sony, repeatedly push the "Mode" button to sequence through all the Aux. inputs.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
A small correction Bill...

What I should have said : Push the "source" switch untill "aux" appears, then use the "mode" to cycle between the various aux. inputs.

This is the most user-unfriendly piece of electronic equipment I have ever come accross-keep that manual handy!

Another thing to be aware of is the "power off" function-if you just turn the unit off by pushing the "off' button once the audio will go off BUT the unit will continue to draw power(1 Amp!) , not a good thing if you are running on batteries. To turn the unit fully off you have to hold the "off" button for 6 seconds.

As far as Airstream making wiring mistakes they certainly did in my unit-the remote speaker switch did very strange things and as I did not intend to use it anyway I removed a lot of that wiring.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
Sirius satelite radio
Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #28
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
I have a little JVC speaker/dock and the first thing that goes on is my IPOD! I also got a 12 volt recharge for it so it's always ready to go!
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
John,

Thanks for the tip. I noticed the unit was still in a display mode when I turned it off. I guess it wasn't all the way off.
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
I'm actually considering one of the newer bluetooth head units, its kind of a good excuse to replace the built-in Sony head-unit and I want aux input for Satellite Radio as well. Rumors are that the new iPods will support and you can get cheap adpaters for the old one. No wires, and digital so the sound quality should be good -- using an FM transmitter solution will give you really bad sound quality.

As I don't have the video 'upgrade' its the only way I can think of to hook up my MacBook to a bulkhead mounted monitor to play movies without having to pull wires all the way back to the head unit location. The only thing at bulkhead end is coax AFAICT.

I'm hoping to replace the OEM speakers :O as well, but need tall order to find car speakers that a) sound decent and b) have white face plates!
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by billberk
John,

Thanks for the tip. I noticed the unit was still in a display mode when I turned it off. I guess it wasn't all the way off.
Yeah, we hit that one first day out. Couldn't figure out why our batteries drained, but it was all down to that vampire draw. Sony head-units has about the worst possible human interface imaginable and that is saying a lot given how bad most after-market car audio is.
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd5602

I'm hoping to replace the OEM speakers :O as well, but need tall order to find car speakers that a) sound decent and b) have white face plates!
Bose 131 Marine speakers are a possibility (That is if you like the Bose sound-Bose are love it or hate it speakers)

Bose 131 Marine Speakers - Outdoor and Marine Speakers

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
Sirius satelite radio
Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've been using a Radioshack wireless speaker setup with my IPOD. Works great outside and each speaker has it's own volume control.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
Ipod

The best $ you will ever spend to listen to your Ipod is hands down the Bose Ipod docking station. It is absolutely stunning. We just take it from the house to the tt. It is however 110 a.c. Oh well, ya can't have it all.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman
The best $ you will ever spend to listen to your Ipod is hands down the Bose Ipod docking station. It is absolutely stunning. We just take it from the house to the tt. It is however 110 a.c. Oh well, ya can't have it all.
I use the Altec Lansing In Motion for my iPod. It has a pretty nice sound. I also use my Bose Accoustic Wave - which has a great sound. Both will run off batteries and the Bose has a 12 volt DC adapter in addition to the battey pack.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
AUX Connection

I have my Archos 605 connected to the AUX input and it works fine. It has a 160Gig hard drive that I carry about 8k worth of music on and a couple thousand photos. I have started to download video, from my Dish Network DRV, (the non-HD programs) that I've recorded for viewing while on the road. I connect it directly to the LCD TV. The Archos runs off of 12v, so it consumes very very little juice.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #37
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
I use too the ipod from my Iphone for listening my music but with the time I began to know all what there is inside.
So, during my last trip in your marvellous country, I've discovered the satelite radios with Sirius... Woaww, it's really great.... no news, no advertisings, high quality sound and you choose the style of music but you have to pay for subcription... nobody is perfect but what a progress, we don't have that in Europe and I envy you for that... one more time.

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
On the note of Ipod sound quality, it was pointed out to me that the Ipod should be in it's base, and the mini jack plugged into the base.

I could not believe the difference in sound. I was plugging the sound out mini plug into the head phone mini plug on top of the Ipod.

On my Ipod photo (a year or two old) plugging into the base deactivates the volume wheel on the Ipod, so you just adjustthe volume on your stereo amp.

If you already know this, disregard.

Jonathan
That's because by using the jack on the dock, you are using a line out- it doesn't go through the headphone amp. This provides a cleaner signal with none of the distortion that might be added by the headphone amp.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
White speaker grilles

I have had great success painting the speaker grilles. Use spray paint in several light coats. You can mask off the logo.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Hope I'm not breaking any protocol by asking this in this thread, but other than borrowing somebody's grandkid, where does an old guy go to learn the elementary process of MP3 downloading, use, etc. I've had MP3 capable equipment for a while but haven't a clue about the basics (and I do mean the extreme basics!).

Gene