Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Internal cable problem

2012 International 25' FB. Just installed Tailgater satellite setup. When hooked up per the in/out connections (under dinette) I get good picture and sound to bedroom tv. The main tv has a barely discernible picture and no sound. Checked that the antenna booster is definitely turned off. Took the output lead from the receiver and routed it directly to tv and I get a beautiful picture and sound. So the tv settings are good.

At this point it seems that I have a bad cable in the wall somewhere prior to main tv. If so, has anybody else seen this? Is it a major tear-down to replace the internal cable if needed?

Thanks for your replies.

Don

Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the trailer was prewired for antenna and satellite I would assume there would be a selection box to switch between them.

When I put satellite into my older trailer I had to install an A/B box to separate the different signal sources. Are you sure you don't have a selection box that allows you to switch or does the amp cover have 2 connection ports on the front of it. This is sometime how they separate campground cable from antenna.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Cable

Not sure if this is your issue, but when we bought our 2005 CCD new the TV would not get reception. Found out that the antenna cable between roof and amp was cut/nicked during interior skin install. If Airstream would have turned on TV to verify everything worked that would have been caught at the factory although that would also have required a manufacturing culture of reasonable, consistent quality control which doesn't exist. Our dealer spent three hours and using an electrical pull cable was able to finally pull a new cable from the ceiling, over the door and through some ribs to the amp under dinette without removing interior skins. That was just one of the items in the $4,500 billed warranty repairs just for that particular visit.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thanks for the replies. I have an appointment next week to fix my ongoing converter issue, and will have them check this out. My main tv has two cables coming into it. One is the HDMI cable that comes from the DVD player. The other input is one of those super-skinny (pencil-lead size) coax cables. This cable apparently handles both the tv antenna and the park cable feed (or satellite feed). There is no switchbox, but you turn off the antenna power (wall plate button) when wanting to view the cable feeds. Because of the problem I haven't been able to fully check how this all works. My next question is how you can watch cable on one tv and the antenna (over the air) feed on the other tv since you have to turn off the antenna to watch cable. The documentation on this is very thin.....Don
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Update. I did some tracing with my Harbor Freight ohm meter and found the skinny coax cable from the wall to my main tv was bad. I was fooled by the fact that the tv would show the antenna feed perfectly; I thought this meant that the cable was good. Not so much. Replaced it with a short, regular coax for a good cable/sat picture. Thanks everybody....Don