Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Scotts Valley , California
Installing Voyager Wireless Backup Camera

I recently purchased and installed a Voyager wireless backup camera in our new-to-us 2013 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin.

I got lots of help throughout the process by various forum members, but didn't see all the issues I encountered in one thread, so wanted to post them for others.

I picked the Voyager 4.3" wireless camera system as it is the same one many have had success with and it is the only system our local Airstream dealer installs and has good luck with. Although I'm generally pretty handy, I initially would have had the local dealer install it if it hadn't of been the 4 hour round trip drive times two plus 2 weeks in their shop, and booking 4 weeks out! In the end, I'm glad I tackled the project and gained familiarity with our trailer, but it was certainly more involved than I first expected.

Going into the install, I planned to get power from the center roof mounted clearance light. This seemed like where many people, including the dealer get power. This is great because I always drive with the TV lights on, so the camera would have power. And because it's not connected to trailer power, there would be no parasitic power draw when not in use.

Well, as I soon learned and many already knew, there is nearly no slack in the clearance light wiring. There was about 1/2", not nearly enough to crimp on wire connectors and feed back through the trailer. This sent me on a variety of thought processes which I finally discounted and went back to the clearance light solution, thanks to help form Brad (bradt) and Ray (Adventure.AS) in this thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...er-177388.html

Following are the steps taken to install the system:
25Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 1

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the products or companies mentioned. Use your best judgement and do not proceed with any modifications to your trailer that you are not comfortable with.

I knew that I had to cut off the clearance light and there wouldn't be enough wire left to re-use it so I ordered a new clearance light for $30 from Silver Trailer Supply. PN 5128690.

http://airstreamsupply.com/light-cle...red-led-512860

I also went to West Marine and bought some Ancor products. 18 gauge double jacketed wire, heat shrink butt connectors for 22-18 AWG, heat shrink multi-wire connectors for 22-18 AWG, and a grommet kit (not shown)

I also bought Silkaflex 221 in Gray from Amazon (more on this later)

http://a.co/89i4kKM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts needed.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	304723  
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 2

I removed the clearance light using a flexible steel putty knife, working it between the red light and the plastic chrome mounting bracket, popping up each end of the red light.

This gave about 1/2" of slack in the wiring to barely fit a pair of wire cutters in there. I cut the wires as close to the backside of the clearance light.

Here is a picture of the wires cut with both the clearance light and mounting bracket removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	light removed.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	304724  
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 3

Next was removing the plastic bushing. This presses in from the top and has little retention tabs that made it impossible for me to remove. At Brad's suggestion, I very carefully cut off the flange on the outside of the trailer. I used a new blade so that it would easily cut and I was less likely to force too hard and then slip and cut the wires. This was nerve wracking for sure!

I then crimped on two of the butt connectors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trimming away bushing.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	304725   Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing flange trimmed away.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	304726  

Name:	butt connectors installed.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	304727  
Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 4

Next I drilled a 3/4" hole in the aluminum skin about 2" below where the clearance light ended (this was a hard mental hurdle to overcome!). I started with a small drill bit and worked my way up to a 1/2" bit in several steps and then used a sheet metal step drill bit that I had to get to the finished size required for the Voyager rubber grommet.

I then crimped on the two strand 18 gauge wire to the butt connectors.

At this point I tried feeding the 18 gauge wire and connectors into the clearance light hole but discovered how much sealant was on the other side! I had to use a flat bladed screw driver and work it loose in a full 360 degrees. This took a while and multiple curse words were uttered!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire crimped on.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	304729   Click image for larger version

Name:	using screwdriver.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	304730  

Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 5

This step was the AHA! moment where I felt pretty confident I would be able to successfully complete the project.

I cut up a wire coat hanger and made a small hook on one end to pass into the 3/4" hole and catch the 18 gauge wire. On the other end of the coat hanger segment I made a larger hook to hold on to and be able to pull.

I used a lighter to shrink down the heat shrink (not having a sufficient heat gun)

I pushed the butt connectors and about a foot of the 18 gauge wire thru the hole from the clearance lamp

I inserted the hook into the 3/4" hole and fished around until I caught the 18 gauge wire. I then pulled it until I was able to pull a loop out through the 3/4" hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	catching wire.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	304731   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire loop thru.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	304732  

Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 6

I continued to feed the 18 gauge wire through the clearance light hole and pulled out a larger loop from the 3/4" hole. When I had several feet coming out of the 3/4" hole, I cut the loop in half.

This means I now had a powered wire pair coming out of the 3/4" hole (that I had previously crimped on to the clearance light wiring) and I also had a wire pair that ran from the 3/4" hole inside the trailer back out through the clearance light hole.

I used the Multi Wire Butt Connectors to connect these two wire pairs at one side of the connector and another short segment on the other side of the connector, which would eventually go to the camera wire.

I put a grommet on the clearance light wires, and used butt connectors to connect to the wire pair coming out of the clearance light hole. Make sure to double check the polarity before crimping, as LED lights only work one way!

In the third picture you can see the black wiring going out of the bottom of the frame is to the wiring harness for the camera. This whole bunch of crimp connectors were heat shrunk and fed back into the 3/4" hole. You can also see the mounting bracket installed. Make sure to install the bracket in the correct direction. If you install it backwards, there may not be enough available rotation in the slots to achieve the correct camera angle. I put a small piece of tape on the top side of the bracket when test fitting it to make sure it was correct when fully installing it.

I used lots of the Silkaflex in the holes and under the bracket, plus around the clearance light holes and grommet. I sure hope it doesn't leak!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wire junction.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	304733   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire grommet.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	304734  

Name:	wiring done.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	304736  
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Step 7

Finally I mounted up the camera and installed the camera wiring harness grommet into the 3/4" hole. I used the Silkaflex to seal around the outside of the grommet and around where the wire passed into the grommet. Unfortunately, this is where I wish I had used a different product. This was my first time using Silkaflex and I was unable to smooth out the seams as I am used to with other caulk products. I also ended up with two silver beads around the grommet and wire and a thin black ring of exposed rubber that looked like an ugly black and gray bullseye. I ended up covering the entire grommet with the Silkaflex, which looked only marginally better. A clear silicone or product that was easier to smooth would have been preferred. Luckily this is way up high and out of eyesight unless your looking for it.

A note about the 4.3" Voyager. I picked this size as it offers more wireless camera connections than the larger screen version. This was in case I decide I want to add side view cameras near the front of the trailer, although I think that will be unlikely. I do wish the monitor was larger, but the nearly double cost of the 7" version didn't seem worth it at time of purchase.

I have had no problems connecting from the Voyager monitor in the truck during the several test runs during setup. I'll know more during our first trip coming up if the connection remains steady on the road and will post an update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	installed 1.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	304737   Click image for larger version

Name:	installed 2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	304738  

Old 02-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks for the post I plan to do the same when weather permits.
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Michael Wild

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Airstream310
Edmonton , Alberta
Great post, thank you for the details
Michael_Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
Okstreamer

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Yukon , Oklahoma
Voyager install

I bought the same system and just removed the middle clearance light. I did not want any more holes in the trailer than necessary. Checked around about the Leagal need for that light first. I drilled out the existing wire hole to 3/4 inch spliced on and put the wire grommet in and mounted the camera. Plugged the other two light holes with sealant and larger stainless steel screw. Adjusted the camera to get the best rear view and it works great. You are correct, the wire to the light does not have much slack.
okstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
I bought the same system but I had the local RV shop install it. That proved to be less stressful than doing it myself. It works GREAT!!! I just wish the screen was a little bigger because the cam has a wide angle lens.
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
So this install is to see behind camper when you back up? Right? Has anyone used this, or another, to help line up hitch ball to connector while hooking up alone, without benefit of another human to guide you?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Backup camera to help hooking up trailer ball/ remote trailer camera

My 2017 Chevy PU has a backup camera on the tailgate which looks mostly straight back, but if you make the tailgate slant at 45 degrees, it is looking down on the ball coupler, making it useful for solo hooking up the trailer. Making the tailgate slant 45 degrees is easy on the 2017 Chevy: just loop the gate support cable on either side over the top latch bolt for the gate lock. I would assume that other backup cameras, (either factory or aftermarket) could be coaxed into this kind of service, with a little thought.

My 2017 Chevy 2500 HD also has a remote camera (from the factory whose image appears on the dashboard GPS /backup camera screen) that installed at the rear of my 25 ft AS. I mounted it on the right tail light housing and wired it to the tail light wire, so I have to have the TV lights on for the camera to work. I felt that this camera was too heavy to mount on the AS skin but the cast tail light housing offered a much sturdier spot. Most remote cameras are wide enough angle to work well from any location at the rear of the trailer.

For those who have the Chevy or GMC factory camera system, you have to remember to put the TV in reverse, turning on the tailgate backup camera for 5 seconds before you turn on the remote camera. Otherwise the backup camera
takes precedence over the remote camera if remote is turned on first. Drove me crazy till I re-read the instructions.

Good luck with all your cameras, wherever they come from or where they are mounted.
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
adobehome,

Yes, this camera is used for backing up the trailer as well as using as a rear view mirror replacement while driving down the road.

Our truck already came with a back up camera mounted to the tailgate handle which we use for hitching up the trailer solo.

While you could use the Voyager camera for this, depending on your TV, there might be a more integrated aftermarket solution available (it might replace the tailgate handle, for example)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
East Woodstock , Connecticut
Excellent post, i've been considering installing a camera - you've provided great photos and documentation to make my install easier. Thank you
stream19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Can anyone give me an idea how Airstream connects the Voyager camera to the clearance light?

I was under the impression that thy ran the camera wire into the light and connected there. This thread seems to indicate there isn't enough slack to do it without drilled the skin and extending the wires.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's my thoughts for "someday" installation.
Mount the camera inside the rear bedroom under the cabinet, getting power from the interior lighting. Have the camera looking through the rear window.
My concern is if the wireless signal will make it through the skin to the monitor. Or perhaps mount the repeater in the front window.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Can anyone give me an idea how Airstream connects the Voyager camera to the clearance light?

I was under the impression that thy ran the camera wire into the light and connected there. This thread seems to indicate there isn't enough slack to do it without drilled the skin and extending the wires.
I know Airstream installs them in 1 1/4 hrs. @$125./hr. + $750. for the camera I
will install it myself.
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Molly’sdad that’s where I have my current camera and plan to try that first. I had concerns about the reception too. Maybe the line of sight through windows will do the trick