Old 01-18-2004, 09:10 AM   #15
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Quote:
Originally posted by trumpwer
I am not crazy about all in one units either. With our rig, space is not a real problem. We have just moved retired, but servicable 13 in TV, VCR, and DVD from house to AS. Got a small inverter, just big enought to run TV and VCR or DVD, because we like to "primitive" camp. The kids do have a 12 v TV/VCR combo in the camper shell for while we are on the road.

Since I posted this, we have found something new. Radio shack has come out with a DVD player that is also a tuner with a 10.5 inch LCD screen. Small enough for the cab, big enough for the AS, and 12 volt power, so we can get rid of the inverter hum. And its inexpensive enough to take a chance on 1 unit. It leaves us with a bunch of unused storage space, but I am sure Cheryl can deal with that.

trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Shelby,

All these ideas are fantastic, and even I am considering the laptop one for my future newer Airstream, God willing and the river don't rise.

However, as I was once a newbie too, I took the path of less resistence and expense. I already had these at home, and just transferred them to the motorhome. Eventually they became permanent fixtures.

Walmart 13" dual 12V/110 TV/VCR combo; use the cig lighter or plug into wall

Playstation 2 videogame plaver/DVD player; plugged into inverter for 12v or into wall when on shore power

Works well when coach is plugged in at a campsite. Works OK for awhile when on the coach batteries (12V). I limit my boys then though. That's why we take our bikes everywhere we go.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by wahoonc
Shelby,
I personally dislike the all in one units, if one part goes bad you have to buy another whole unit even if it isn't all bad. I am using a Laptop with a DVD in it, for the Televison I have a Samsung 15" LCD monitor with the television tuner built into it, best of both worlds...as long as wife doesn't want to watch soaps while I am surfing the net We also have a smaller AC/DC powered television that we can use. Check the wattage of the unit you want to power. Seat of the pants says the 400 watt won't be big enough to run more than one small item at a time. My television pulls around 700 watts running.

Aaron
Just a regular 13" color TV draws 375 watts by itself without the VCR or DVD. That is why they still sell the little B&W TV's, they draw about 35-50 watts. We also have a laptop with a DVD in it, but we also have a 13" TV/VCR set, only because it was on sale for a very cheap price ($79.99 for a 13"). I agree with Aaron about if one part breaks, both are bad, but it was too cheap to pass up, if it breaks, so what...
I also like the laptop because it has a speaker output on it, and we can bring along our music on the 'puter without the CD's.
Terry
Old 04-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Just a regular 13" color TV draws 375 watts by itself without the VCR or DVD. That is why they still sell the little B&W TV's, they draw about 35-50 watts. We also have a laptop with a DVD in it, but we also have a 13" TV/VCR set, only because it was on sale for a very cheap price ($79.99 for a 13"). I agree with Aaron about if one part breaks, both are bad, but it was too cheap to pass up, if it breaks, so what...
I also like the laptop because it has a speaker output on it, and we can bring along our music on the 'puter without the CD's.
Terry
Speaking of Music, I have a spare 20 gig HD the I will devote entirely to music (and movies). I have about 1800 songs on the HD now. Still need an Inverter to power the speakers but thats alot less space than all the cd cases I was lugging along.
IMHO the best space saving setup is a Computer. I have a MicroATX case computer that has DVD, all my favorite music and movies on the HD.....can surf the net, can still watch broadcast tv with a tv tuner card or a lcd with tuner, digital 5.1 sound card, dish can be used with a computer with the right video card, the possibilities are endless.......
A laptop would be even more of a space saver because you can run it off 12 volts. I am in the Electrical Field (no pun intended lol) and I plan a MASSIVE true sine wave inverter setup when the time comes. I will be documenting the planning and installation. Will be using golf cart batteries in the back of my truck with a seperate 100 amp alternator on the engine so the engine will be my generator.
Ciao!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:08 PM   #19
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Question

We solved the TV/DVD/CD changer issue by ordering our CCD with the entertainment option. Does anyone have it or has anyone seen it yet? We're waiting... Curious...

X
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesnc
Speaking of Music, I have a spare 20 gig HD the I will devote entirely to music (and movies). I have about 1800 songs on the HD now. Still need an Inverter to power the speakers but thats alot less space than all the cd cases I was lugging along.
Ciao!
We got a USB compatible boombox , made by Phillips. Runs on batteries, cost a little over $100.00 for it, and the batteries last longer since you are not running the laser or electric motors for the CD player, lasts about 4-6 hours, instead of 2 to 3. Which is about the same length of time the battery lasts in the laptop, using low power mode(2-3 hours). I have used this setup at the Florida state rally, and it worked well, although it is starting to look like an electronics outlet inside our coach.
Terry
Old 04-04-2004, 10:45 AM   #21
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Video & tunes...

For tunes, I installed an upgraded Sony 12v car stereo, and still use the factory installed speaker system. We have a 12v color TV built-in to the bedroom.

For the livingroom "entertainment center", we used the 'spare' stuff we had lying around. We have a 19" color TV, an extra Hughes satellite dish & reciever, a VHS player that isn't hooked up, but lives in a cabinet if we decide to ever use it; and for DVD, we bought a 5" LCD display portable DVD player. The 5" screen is fine for the kids in the car, and it has video output jacks for the 19" TV in the trailer. It has batteries, a 12v power cord, and an A/C adapter, so it's pretty versatile. We bought it last year, and it was well under $200. I'm sure they've come down even more now.

If I get REALLY hard-up for larger-screen, battery operated video, my work computer is a Gateway laptop with DVD and a 17" LCD screen, although the thought of bringing it with me camping just makes me wanna scream. I go camping to get AWAY from work!

Roger
Old 04-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

If my Airstream MH didn't already have two working tv's, I'd opt for a TV/DVD/VCR combo vs. separate units. I understand the argument of components vs all in one, but I like the single connection, single remote, and simplicity of installation and operation (one clock to set!). I've seen sooo many folks get really fustrated with getting all the parts to work together, finding enough plugs. The older I get the more simple I want things.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo
Old 04-04-2004, 08:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I could use some helpful suggestions. My trailer has 2 snap mounted mexh pouches at the foot of the bed. The lower one is the perfect place for the 10inch LCD tv I have. It is also next to the antennae/outlet. I was thinking about somehow hooking the VESA mount onto the 4 snaps, or screw them out and screw in some supporting brackets. The TV would fit into the upper pouch for transport. I could also modify the hamper below the tv at the foot of the bed to contain a small DVD player. Would the 3.5lbs or so, distributed over 4 points, tebd to pull out of the aluminum skin? ( I am guessing this is all they are anchored into).
Old 04-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #24
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
If you wall mount the flat panel on a stationary bracket you should not need to move it to a storage pouch for travel. If you search on LCD mounts on the forum I think the parts that are being used in the 25 footers to mount a 15 inch LCD were all sourced and then it could swing out when necessary and store for travel.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
We have been dealing with this issue/problem since buying our new '04 A/S. I have not yet decided what is the best solution. We went on a one week rally last week and decided DVD & not VHS (size prohibitive) movies are what we wanted. We bought a combo 13" diag. stereo TV/DVD/CD/MP3 unit from Sears for $169.00. At that price we consider it 'disposable' until things settle down (ie: near future broadcast spec changes that include HDTV, etc...).
Old 04-04-2004, 10:47 PM   #26
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Being a computer afficianado, complete computer gaming dork and movie buff, i solved this problem with the following and have loved every minute of owning it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inspiron1.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	5689  
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

That looks like a lap top computer......
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 AM   #28
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
I'm ressurecting this thread to see if anyone wants to share more recent choices on this issue. We want to get the tv installed in our Bambi and I'm now considering the Toshiba 14" LCD TV/DVD combo wondering if it will fit above the fridge as it's 17" wide, or can we install it facing bed on divider wall and store it vertically on a swivel mount?

If not this model than will use our Sharp Aquos LCD 15" but like the idea of one cable/remote, though it does weigh 12 lbs instead of the 9lb Sharp and wonder if there is a weight limit for this wall. We can swivel tv around towards table from here but this will be a rare occasion as movies in bed the main use for this.

Anyone with news on a recent successful install idea would be great, and pics are much appreciated

Barbara