Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
in dash dvd with back up camera

Our '75 Argosy mh is in dire need of a stereo. Allong with this I would like a back up camera, so I can see our 13' whaler in-tow on the road and while backing down a boat ramp. I'm looking at in-dash flip up dvd players that fit in a regular din mount stereo opening to take care of everything. I've seen them priced from $200 and up for the dvd unit and $25 and up for the camera. It seems simple enough but I don't know if I'm missing anything.

Has anyone else looked into doing it this way or have any comments?

thanks.
projector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I have no expierence with the systems you are looking at. But I remember when the company added cameras to our fleet of concrete trucks they ordered cameras with cables that were to short.... ten FEET !! Too short!!. just be sure that you get enough cable.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by projector View Post
Our '75 Argosy mh is in dire need of a stereo. Allong with this I would like a back up camera, so I can see our 13' whaler in-tow on the road and while backing down a boat ramp. I'm looking at in-dash flip up dvd players that fit in a regular din mount stereo opening to take care of everything. I've seen them priced from $200 and up for the dvd unit and $25 and up for the camera. It seems simple enough but I don't know if I'm missing anything.

Has anyone else looked into doing it this way or have any comments?

thanks.
Alpine has several model that fit your requirements. I have one in my truck dash.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Got a buddy with a Class B moho. His in-dash has DVD, iPod and backup camera. It's handy to make sure his snowmachine trailer either doesn't have a flat or is still there. They're available with GPS for additional $.

Quite a few threads here at AIR:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...era-41348.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...era-38110.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...mbi-32100.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f398...era-31800.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...era-27752.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I just installed the indulgent Pioneer 7" screen model, navigation, bluetooth, iPhone/iPod, camera for backup & a switch to watch anytime,satellite radio,cd,dvd,etc. etc. Basically this does anything. BUT- it also cost a bundle. However, I do know that Pioneer makes a lot of different models, some of which may be more in line with where you'd like to be. I'm just a nut who went a bit overboard on the unit. I was feeling a bit low after the stuff I'd gone through with the AS, and.. well.. enough said.
Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I just installed the indulgent Pioneer 7" screen model, navigation, bluetooth, iPhone/iPod, camera for backup & a switch to watch anytime,satellite radio,cd,dvd,etc. etc. Basically this does anything. BUT- it also cost a bundle. However, I do know that Pioneer makes a lot of different models, some of which may be more in line with where you'd like to be. I'm just a nut who went a bit overboard on the unit. I was feeling a bit low after the stuff I'd gone through with the AS, and.. well.. enough said.
Rae
Maybe you could adopt us! I'd love to have an all in one like that but it's hard to justify when we're putting $ into other systems and mechanicals as well. I'm having a hard enough time convincing the wifey that it's worth it. But then at the ramp I drive the truck and she drives the boat.
projector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
The flip screens on the single-din units are known to break. . .

If your dash is big enough, the Kenwood Double-Din (DDX 814) has a nice screen that is stationary.

I have the Kenwood DDX512 (which you can find on EBay for much less compared to retail). The hands free Bluetooth (works with the cell phone), GPS, IPod connection, and backup camera is way cool.

Though only in my 40's, I wear hearing aids and really like the ability to hear the person on the other end of the phone over my speakers. The mic that allows me to talk over the phone is located above my rear-view mirror. So I can talk on the phone as if the person were a passenger. I love it!!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote