Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Improved TV Audio Alternative

I have a 2008 Safari lounge that does not have the Audio/Video Upgrade package from the factory. I added my own LCD flat screens after I bought the trailer. I had read many threads on how to run my TV sound through the sony radio speakers and found the necessary RCA jacks behind the walls that were run at the factory. However, I wanted something with better sound quality, easy to install and not have to fuss with the various radio source and volume control issues.

After some research I came up with a unit called the "ZVOX Mini". I bought the unit based on numerous good/excellent audio reviews and took a chance. The unit is first rate quality, very good looking and puts out excellent crystal clear sound. It even has a built in rear firing slotted subwoofer. The hook up was "very" easy and finished in only minutes. I store the unit in the credenza while traveling and set it up buy plugging in two jacks at the camp site. The sound is 20 times better than the TV sound (I turned my TV speakers off) and it can simulate a surround sound field that can be adjusted to you preference. The Mini is also the perfect size for the airstream. I am very pleased with this unit and it's cost was reasonable based on it's performance $199.00. So if you are looking for a simple way to get better sound from you TV/IPOD you may want to check this out.

Here is the link to their web site:http:ZVOX Audio - Single-cabinet, wireless surround sound home theater systems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	85432  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by szimmerer View Post
I came up with a unit called the "ZVOX Mini"
Does the ZVOX need it's own 120v power supply? i assume it can also be used with other audio sources?

I have a 22" portable TV/DVD player. To boost the sound I use an Advent remote wireless speaker. Works on 120 or D cells. Does the job. You can set up the speaker up to 150' from the source. It is also waterproof. It has a mono and stereo mode. It was sold by Airstream but you can get them cheaper from Advent also around $200. I originally got it to listen to my in trailer audio system outside, but don't really as I just turn up the speakers and make my Airstream one big aluminum speaker. Only problem is mine is green. I assume there are other colors.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the tip, it seems like a neat item. But I have the same basic question as Lumatic, which is not answered anywhere I can find on ZVOX's web site: what power supply is required to operate the ZVOX Mini, 120 volts AC? 12 volts DC? Cosmic radiation? That is an important beginning point for me, but one the manufacturer apparently assumes is so well known its not worth mentioning in the product's specifications. Also not mentioned is watts consumed during operation, another specification relevant to boondockers who reply on solar panels for battery recharging. Looks like their marketing department, not their engineers, wrote the specs. Nevertheless, thanks again for the tip.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Some useful ZVOX Mini specifications . . .

Hi Steve:

I sent a email to ZVOX and got this quick reply, much appreciated for a Sunday:

"The Mini comes with a 120 VAC power adapter (in line type, cords at both ends) which provides 13.5 VDC/1.8A to the Mini. It's a iron-core transformer supply. I don't know the idle power draw, but my experience with similar supplies is that it is around 5-7 watts. A Mini playing at full volume is unlikely to exceed 15 watts draw over time spans exceeding a few seconds, simply because audio isn't constant. Peak draw could be much higher (40 watt as a guess), but this would be very brief."

Now I'm no electrical engineer, but with a 1.8 amp draw at 13.5 VDC, it looks like it might be able to be run directly (but fused) off the trailer's batter[y]ies without using the AC wall wart. A non-peak operating draw of 15 watts at 12 VDC should be only 1.25 amps (15W/12V), which sounds pretty efficient. Guessed peak draw of 3.33 amps (40W/12V) doesn't seem bad either. Looks promising; party on!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
ZVOX Mini

Looks like Fred got the answers to the questions above. Hope Fred's info helps.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Steve:
Looks like their marketing department, not their engineers, wrote the specs.
According to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance the guys who write the technical manuals are the guys that can't be trusted to work on the equipment.

On electronic devices that run on a inverter that plugs into 120 and steps down the voltage to 12v I have run them right off the trailer's 12v system with no problems. You won't get a manufacturer to tell you you can do that however, corporate CYA rules.