Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
How to remove Television

Hi folks,

Looking at the TV in the main area of our 2015 30' Serenity. How do I get it off the wall? I want to add another device to the TV, and can't figure out how to get to the ports on the back of the TV! It would appear that the TV is mounted directly to the wall (i.e. there is no swing bracket mount)

Thanks as always
Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I recently had the same issue with the television in my 2015 FC 25FB. Airstream has seen fit to do away with the articulating arm for the living room television.

In order to get the television off of the wall, you must first remove the little silver metal clip at the top of the mount behind the TV. You must do this carefully with a small wrench or pliers. Once you remove the screw, the little safety clip falls off. The television can then be lifted off of the wall bracket. This is a two person job as you must disconnect several wire before you can lay the TV down.

At first I tried plugging my AV cable into the back of the TV and putting it back on the OEM wall bracket and found that there was not enough clearance for the cables.

I decided to junk Airstream's wall mount and buy a articulating wall mount which I have now installed.

Airstream was asleep at the switch when they chose their TV mount.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Many thanks

Thanks Moosetags for solving our dilemma. Airstream never seems to do things the easy way do they?

Managed to get the TV off, add the necessary cable and all back together again.

Thanks again
Old 11-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Thanks Moosetags for solving our dilemma. Airstream never seems to do things the easy way do they?

Managed to get the TV off, add the necessary cable and all back together again.

Thanks again
You are quite welcome. It seems like Airstream is slipping backwards in some respects. I'm glad you were able to get your hook-ups in place.

Many years ago, I worked for US Customs in Portal, North Dakota. I traveled to Regina and Saskatoon on a regular basis. That was in the early 1970's.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
You are quite welcome. It seems like Airstream is slipping backwards in some respects. I'm glad you were able to get your hook-ups in place.

Many years ago, I worked for US Customs in Portal, North Dakota. I traveled to Regina and Saskatoon on a regular basis. That was in the early 1970's.

Brian

Brian, it's a long way from Portal to Santa Rosa Beach, but I can appreciate the desire for the journey. My wife and I and our baby boy spent his first winter (1968) in Estevan with his first visit to the US being Noonan followed by a visit to Portal, where there were real stores. The experience may have had an impact on his choosing to now be a resident of Fort Lauderdale. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Brian, it's a long way from Portal to Santa Rosa Beach, but I can appreciate the desire for the journey. My wife and I and our baby boy spent his first winter (1968) in Estevan with his first visit to the US being Noonan followed by a visit to Portal, where there were real stores. The experience may have had an impact on his choosing to now be a resident of Fort Lauderdale. Jim

Hi Jim. Actually, I am originally from Miami, and moved to North Dakota with US Customs in 1971. When I got there I had never seen snow before in my life. I grew up in a house that did not even have any heat in it. I enjoyed my years on the Canadian Border, and got to see much of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. I spent a number of nights in the relief quarters in the Port Building in Noonan. I spent four years on the Border until I was transferred to New Orleans in 1975. I spent the rest of my career in Tennessee and Florida until I retired from the US Customs Service in 2002. Your son probably made a good choice to be in south Florida.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
.. Airstream has seen fit to do away with the articulating arm for the living room television.

In order to get the television off of the wall, you must first remove the little silver metal clip at the top of the mount behind the TV...

...I decided to junk Airstream's wall mount and buy a articulating wall mount which I have now installed.

Airstream was asleep at the switch when they chose their TV mount.

Brian
Yep ... and we even asked before trading in our 2013 and were assured that the mounts for 2013 and 2015 were the same - at that point they could havebeen easily swapped out as was done with the convection microwave. Another questionable design change. Likely, it was to save $$ ...

Brian - are you comfortable with the wall now adequately supporting your new mount or are there specific points that you found were reinforced for the TV mount? In our 2013, the TV was located a bit more towards the centerline of the trailer.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Yep ... and we even asked before trading in our 2013 and were assured that the mounts for 2013 and 2015 were the same - at that point they could havebeen easily swapped out as was done with the convection microwave. Another questionable design change. Likely, it was to save $$ ...

Brian - are you comfortable with the wall now adequately supporting your new mount or are there specific points that you found were reinforced for the TV mount? In our 2013, the TV was located a bit more towards the centerline of the trailer.

We were totally dissatisfied with the stationary television mount in the living room of our 2015 FC 25FB. Airstream's latest and greatest system did not allow any adjustment of the television for comfortable viewing. In adition, the television is mounted so close to the wall that AV cables could not be plugged in. This precluded me from plugging in my movie hard drive.

This was unacceptable. I got an articulating arm television mount, and replaced the OEM mount. There was a 1/2" thick wooden mounting plate already installed. I attached my new mount to this plate. My new system appears to be very stable.

Here are a few pictures.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6470.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	225851   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6471.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	225852  

Name:	DSC_6472.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	225853   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6475.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	225854  

2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Brian, we missed a trading opportunity. I just removed the articulating arm and replaced it with your fixed mount in our 30' Signature. I did this as I was moving the larger dinette tv to replace the smaller bed room tv and installing a larger tv above the dinette. I only did this because of all the exposed paraphernalia on both walls. That stuff is now all hidden behind the tvs so provides less busy walls in both the bedroom and above the dinette.
I think the articulating arm was provided on the dinette tv so that you could pull the thing out and rotate it so you could see it from the bedroom when you didn't have the 2nd TV option installed. The downside of that method was that the tv was not only centred on the wall but also protruded into the aisle.
Your setup is different. Two happy campers. Jim

Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Thanks for the photos, Brian!
We will have our fixed TV mount removed and replaced in the next two weeks.... just in time for winter storage.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Did a search to find this excellent thread. Just what I needed.

The Boss has decided that she needs a larger TV in the main area of our 30' 2016 FC.

As well, I plan to upgrade it from the current dumb TV to a smart TV, to take advantage of the local wifi network I installed.

We went to Costco, and she found a Samsung 32" 1080 smart TV for an acceptable price. Now all I have to do is to work out the minor details of fitting it in place.

Couple questions?

The existing 27" TV seems to be mounted direct to the wall, above the dinette. I see the small silver clip mentioned earlier in the thread. What I don't quite see is how to undo the screw (or, actually, I don't see a screw).

Can someone clarify how that clip comes off?

And after the silver clip is removed, I am guessing that the TV lifts up and out?

I think I can work out things from there. I will look into a swivel mount, but am not sure yet unless I get the old TV out exactly how much reinforcement I will need. There is not "that" much difference in weight between the existing 27" dumb TV and the new 32" smart TV.

Thanks all! Much obliged.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
How to remove Television

I was able to figure this out today.

The silver clip just swung out of the way (I had to nudge it loose with a 1/4" open end).

Name:	IMG_2350.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	275707

After that, it was fairly straightforward to swap in the new TV.

We ended up with a 32" Vizio 1080p wifi-enabled TV from Costco for $189. I moved the Airstream bracket from the old TV to the new TV, using the four new screws from the new TV.

I picked the Vizio because the AC power, Left/Right audio RCA jacks, and 100mm square bracket mount was identical to the Samsung.

Fit is great, no problems with the 32" TV vs. the stock dumb 27" TV.

Name:	IMG_2354.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	275708

The other thing I like about the Vizio, besides being a smart TV, the larger screen size and better resolution, is that the USB input is on the left, not the right. Much more convenient for using a USB drive to view movies.

Very pleased with how this worked out.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:44 PM   #13

2017 30' International
Horse Shoe , North Carolina
TV bracket question

Brian & Rich,
Thank you so much for this post. The pictures are very helpful also. We have a 2017 International Serenity with the locked TV bracket in the living room. I want to replace it with an extendable mount (for Roku stick and access to HDMI ports). Can you tell me the brand and model of the one you used? I want to make sure everything fits the mounting block that's on the wall and not put undue stress on things. We have a Samsung 28" and I will keep it. Thanks again, Charlie

Quote:
We were totally dissatisfied with the stationary television mount in the living room of our 2015 FC 25FB. Airstream's latest and greatest system did not allow any adjustment of the television for comfortable viewing. In adition, the television is mounted so close to the wall that AV cables could not be plugged in. This precluded me from plugging in my movie hard drive.

This was unacceptable. I got an articulating arm television mount, and replaced the OEM mount. There was a 1/2" thick wooden mounting plate already installed. I attached my new mount to this plate. My new system appears to be very stable.

Here are a few pictures.

Brian
Charlie WNC is offline   Reply With Quote