Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bradenton , FL
How to install TV with swivel/articulating - not on wall

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2001 Excella and would like to upgrade the TV with a swivel/articulating mount. As a newbie, I'd appreciate any thoughts about the best way to mount this. Most mounts I see are wall mounts and it seems that I should avoid an exterior wall mount. I haven't purchased the TV yet so I'm open to options.
It would be on the cabinetry that has a lamp on it in the first photo. The 2nd photo shows what is in the base. Many thanks for any advice you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_133232.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	305298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6457.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	305299  

janerivinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I deleted my previous post as I realized it wasn't responsive to your question.

I concur with your reluctance to use a wall mount on an outside wall. The only way that might work is if there is a fortuitously placed vertical rib in the structure. If there were, I would probably mount a piece of finished oak, like a plaque base, predominantly to the rib but also to the inside skin using Rivnuts and then mount the wall mount to that. I would add a nylon strap with parachute buckles to secure the TV for travel.

As an alternative, you might use the combination of a turntable like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-Swiv...YQ86MV8SRXX6NY

that could be screwed or to the cabinet top or stuck with VHB tape, the TV's standard base drilled and screwed to that, and a nylon strap added for security traveling. I'd probably mount a short piece of strap with a parachute buckle to the rear of the cabinet and a longer piece of strap with a U-clip to hold the top of the TV to the inside of the cabinet. For travel I would fact the TV forward, run the strap from the front over the top of the TV engaging the clip with the top edge of the TV, and then to the buckle at the back and cinch it up tight.

Another alternative might be to use the turntable with the TV base screwed to it but not screw the base to the TV if the base mounting design allowed that. Then you could disconnect the TV, lift it off the base, and put it on the bed for travel.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Cabinet Mount TV Bracket

If you are looking to mount the TV to the top of the cabinet, which appears to be the best solution from what I can see in your photos, there are a number of different styles of Cabinet Mount Brackets.
At www.videomountstore.com I found one that has a base you would bolt to the top of the cabinet. The mount then slides forward on this base and you can swivel the TV.
You could also look at some of the ceiling-mount options, and just flip the mount over so you bolt it to the cabinet.

HTH
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have the same layout and have contemplated this issue for a long time. I currently just set the LED TV on the credenza and lay it on the bed when travelling. I was warned to NOT mount it on the underside of the overhead cabinet. The extra weight would likely cause the cabinet to fall.

The solution, I believe, is to build a boxlike tunnel from the top of the credenza to the bottom of the cabinet upon which a standard swivel mount could be attached. This would give the mounting points of the credenza, wall and upper cabinet. Also would allow for a tunnel for cords from below, as well for any A/V components stowed in the upper cabinet. This is a retirement project, early on my growing list of intentions!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
wrs
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Lindsay , Ontario
I've also wondered what the best solution might be. I agree with the former comment
("I was warned to NOT mount it on the underside of the overhead cabinet. The extra weight would likely cause the cabinet to fall") but wondered if that issue might be overcome by oak support arms between the credenza and the overhead cabinet.
Ross
2005 30' Classic
wrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Two options come to mind...

Have you considered a pipe-style mount? Take a pipe stand similar to this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...=tv+pipe+stand

Take two 4” x 3/4” pieces of red oak, cut 1-1/2” holes in the middle of them and put a decorative edge cut in them. Cut the tv stand pipe slightly shorter than the distance between the upper and lower cabinet. Slip the oak squares over the pipe and position on the cabinets nice and vertical. Mark and remove for now. Drill a 1” hole in the lower and/or upper cabinet to chase wires from the cabinets through the pipe to the back of the tv. Bring the pipe and oak pieces back and mount them securely either with screws from the cabinet side so they don’t show, or something decorative if they do.

They make tv mounts that will bolt directly to this, and you can then twist the pipe for viewing in either space in the trailer. DVD, satellite, etc can go in the cabinets with no loose wires.

Downside - it eats the countertop space.

The weight is on the lower cabinet with this design. No attachment to the exterior. Permanent damage to the countertop, but replaceable. Easily available and common components.

Just thinking some more...I’d want a better friction surface on the lower end of the pipe to take the wear and tear of pivoting. Not sure yet what I’d use. Another piece of steel, sacrificial piece of wood, search for a bearing...

The other option would be to build an oak “box” that acted as a chase and mount for your tv that went against the outside wall. Only a couple inches deep and slightly wider than the swivel mount. Cut holes in the counter where the cabinets meet the outside wall to chase wires through the new box. Secure cleats to the upper and lower cabinets, then secure the box to it. These need to be strong connections to carry the extended weight of the tv.

The box is this shape [ (top view) with the wide part being oak veneer and the short legs being 3/4” shaped to match the curvature in the wall and provide a vertical tv mount. Then mount your tv swivel stand to it.

There’s a couple options.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bradenton , FL
Thank you everyone - some great suggestions

A sincere thank you to all of you for your input. I really appreciate how helpful and kind everyone seems to be in this group. It's so helpful to read over the various threads and learn from your experience.
I have a lot to learn so this forum is terrific.
Jane
janerivinius is offline   Reply With Quote