Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink How to install neon lights...where to wire..

I just purchased some neon lights that will be mounted under the belly of the airstream, but wanted opinions on where to wire the switch to. I am not savvy at all when it come to wiring. I have an on/off switch I will mount somewhere inside the airstream but where would you wire the power to?

Maybe a silly question, but I'm just a young buck looking for some wisdom!

Lucy P

P.S. Will try and send some pics of what my lights came with for wiring..has anyone done this before?? Do they suck alot of power?
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I know a little about neon. When I was a teen, I would collect left over pieces of it from old signs, and would link them all together to make these crazy sculptures.
Real 'true neon' of course is gas filled of a certain type (I am no rocket scientist either)...
I am hoping yours is plastic wrapped to protect from breakage, like the kind you see installed under cars to make them look 'cool' - which it does!

You need to tell us more about that.
Most neon works on a lower voltage transformer, that gives enough power to 'fire-up' the gas inside to make it glow like it does.
So let's say the transformer box is sitting there on a work table for example.
There are two insulated posts on the top or side. And an electric plug going off some where else on it. You would use copper wrapped wire to connect from one post (does not matter which) to the first piece of neon at one end (does not matter which end).
Then you add another piece of copper wrapped wire and go to the next piece of neon...and so forth keep going until you have the amount of neon pieces you want to hook up.
In the order of completing a circle, you work your way around and back to the other post on the transformer and tie in there with another piece of copper wrapped wire.
Thats how 'real' neon works. The current of 12 volts or more passes through all the neon in a circular fashion. If there is too many pieces of neon it will 'flicker' because the current is trying to fill the space. Now you know know why you some times see old neon signs flickering, this, or either the transformer is wearing out.

If you have an outside plug on the Airstream you could just plug in there right?
But you want an indoor switch? So let the 'OTHERS' (thats what I call them) tell you what they think. But you need to say what kind of neon you have there becuase if it is not installed right you could burn something down. Got any pictures? Bill
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I think Lucy is talking about rope led's like the ones discussed in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ial-66481.html

Take a look there, maybe you'll get some ideas!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
True neons,or Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
I just purchased some neon lights that will be mounted under the belly of the airstream, but wanted opinions on where to wire the switch to. I am not savvy at all when it come to wiring. I have an on/off switch I will mount somewhere inside the airstream but where would you wire the power to?

Maybe a silly question, but I'm just a young buck looking for some wisdom!

Lucy P

P.S. Will try and send some pics of what my lights came with for wiring..has anyone done this before?? Do they suck alot of power?
We need to know what you are putting under the trailer,true neons or led rope. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Just to muddy the waters further, cold cathode florescent bulbs work well for this as well.... very low power draw.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large

Lucy,
You mean like this?

I added a remote switch which I purchased
on eBay.

Young Buck or young Doe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Artstream.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	112146  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
If you get 12V automotive-type lighting, just pull 12V power from any available place- an extra hot wire for something no longer being used, the fuse block, or directly from the battery. Wire the switch between this hot source and the light(s). I bet if you search the Wiring and Electrical forums here, you'd find more info on this. Have fun! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
A few years ago, another friend and I who have the same year Airstream, saw a street rod driving with neon lights under it and thought that was 'real sexy' so we installed under the trailer step an 18 inch 12 volt neon light purchased at Princess Auto.

It was a simple process just a few screws to hold it in place but I added some aluminum foil behind the light to help reflect it. A small hole in the floor (later chaulked) and fished to the interior light switches by the front door. Then I cut off the 12 volt cigarette adapter, put a couple of electrical clips on the two wires and connected to the outdoor light switch. Now each time I turn on that switch both the outdoor light and the 'sexy' neon light are on. It is subtle and not as large as some of the other lights like that used by 'ArtStream' but it works just fine and adds a little, I think, 'class' to the rig.

Here are two pictures - one showing it installed and the second the item itself - unfortunately I do not have a really nice picture taken at night. Finally, these neon lights are available in a wide variety of colours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0926 Resized.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	112147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927 resized.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	112148  

WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink My lights are neons incased in plastic..see pics.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses thus far..

Ok, My lights are neons with a plastic casing.. like these, and their PINK! YIP YIP! This is everything the kit came with. So I am just a chica trying yo figure how to do this myself, as one downside to my current boyfriend, he is not crafty at all in the DIY area, and if I wanna make it happen, best do it myself! So..would I run the lines into that little black box, then run the box into?? Not sure what power supply would be safe, Then how do I wire the switch? I know, sorry if this is simple..but this is my first time wiring anything!!

Lucy P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0930101529.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	112197   Click image for larger version

Name:	0930101528a.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	112198  

Name:	0930101528b.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	112199   Click image for larger version

Name:	1002102004.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	112201  

Old 10-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink pics of neon lights..

Hi Bill, just posted some pics..check them out, tell me what you think..

Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
I know a little about neon. When I was a teen, I would collect left over pieces of it from old signs, and would link them all together to make these crazy sculptures.
Real 'true neon' of course is gas filled of a certain type (I am no rocket scientist either)...
I am hoping yours is plastic wrapped to protect from breakage, like the kind you see installed under cars to make them look 'cool' - which it does!

You need to tell us more about that.
Most neon works on a lower voltage transformer, that gives enough power to 'fire-up' the gas inside to make it glow like it does.
So let's say the transformer box is sitting there on a work table for example.
There are two insulated posts on the top or side. And an electric plug going off some where else on it. You would use copper wrapped wire to connect from one post (does not matter which) to the first piece of neon at one end (does not matter which end).
Then you add another piece of copper wrapped wire and go to the next piece of neon...and so forth keep going until you have the amount of neon pieces you want to hook up.
In the order of completing a circle, you work your way around and back to the other post on the transformer and tie in there with another piece of copper wrapped wire.
Thats how 'real' neon works. The current of 12 volts or more passes through all the neon in a circular fashion. If there is too many pieces of neon it will 'flicker' because the current is trying to fill the space. Now you know know why you some times see old neon signs flickering, this, or either the transformer is wearing out.

If you have an outside plug on the Airstream you could just plug in there right?
But you want an indoor switch? So let the 'OTHERS' (thats what I call them) tell you what they think. But you need to say what kind of neon you have there becuase if it is not installed right you could burn something down. Got any pictures? Bill
Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
They are true neons..see pics I posted..thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Haha, I suppose since you asked, young doe
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Get someone local who can show you how to do it safely. I kinda stopped giving electrical advice on the forum, to people who are new to this, after somebody just about got burned.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neon lights, wiring