Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
How to cut off sound to 2 speakers?

My trailer has 2 speakers in the bed room and also 2 in the living room and a subwoofer under the dinette seat. With both the radio and tv the sound plays thru all 4 of them all the time.
I've looked at the manual and can not find a way to program the unit to have the tv or radio just play thru only the living room speakers and not thru the bedroom ones. I only want to use the 2 speaker set up when someone wants to take a nap so I can shut the bedroom speakers off.
I'm not concerned with the subwoofer.
If there is a way to set the program for the sound on these units please let me know.
Next idea:
I'm thinking that if I install switches on the bedroom speakers it would solve the problem if programing is not possible..
If I go the switch route, what kind are the best to use?

Any suggestions about any of this would be helpful.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Does the radio have a fader or balance adjustment? It could be possibly wired so one pair of speakers is considered the 'front' and the other pair the 'back', which would be adjustable with the fader setting.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
What type of trailer/radio? Most stereos have a balance control that will let you go from front to back and left to right. If someone put in the system themselves, depending on the age, they may have put all 4 speakers on one line. A pic of the unit face may help.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Bluto,
I don't know which model amplifier you have, but on mine I can eliminate sound to the rear speakers by using the front/rear fade control at the amplifier. Mine is a JVC and has a menu that allows the user to increase or reduce sound to the left/right, and front/rear speakers, as well as to adjust the bass/treble, etc.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My 07 Sony setup has a fade control to shut off the BR speakers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thank you all.
The unit in my trailer is the Sony and was OEM from Airstream at the time of manufacture. I must have skipped over the fade feature when reading all that stuff.
I'm glad it's that simple. I never should have missed this feature of the unit., but I
did. I feel foolish, but not as much as I might if I would have wired switches into the speakers.
Thanks again for saving me from myself.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Our 2006 with Sony has a speaker selection switch that switches one pair of the Sony audio outputs between the inside speakers (bedroom) and the outside speakers. Because our model dos not have the outside speakers, that position is as good off.

The switch is in the rear overhead compartment next to the Sonny headunit.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Wayward,
That's interesting. I never realized that A/S offered outside speakers as an option. (I learned something else today).

By the time my model came out it was not offered, so a switch is not even there. Now that I know I can change which speakers are being used thru the control settings, I'm happy.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Wayward,
That's interesting. I never realized that A/S offered outside speakers as an option. (I learned something else today).

By the time my model came out it was not offered, so a switch is not even there. Now that I know I can change which speakers are being used thru the control settings, I'm happy.

The outside speakers were part of the optional Audio/Video package. It came with two portable speakers that connected to a 4-way flat trailer connector located at the upper edge of the belly pan, next to the door. They actually sound quite nice. Knowing Airstream's past practices, the wiring is there, but just not connected to anything.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Use potentiometers with the speakers

I solved a similar problem this way in my 25 FB. The speakers over the dinette are too loud for my wife when we sit there for a meal so I added a 25 ohm, 3 watt potentiometer from the speaker wire positive terminal to the negative terminal on each side. I connected one speaker terminal to the middle terminal (wiper) on the potentiometer and the other speaker terminal goesto the Potentiameter negative terminal. By turning the knob on the potentiameter I can go from nearly full power to no power coming from the speaker.

I mounted the potentiometers in small electronics boxes near the speaker because the shafts were too short to go all the way through the cabinet face. If you got long shaft potentiometers you could mount them directly inside the cabinet.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
There may also be an option for listening position on the menu ... that should take care of your issue a bit more easily rather than fade / balance. On our unit the F/B and L/R controls as well as listening position are as you face the front of the trailer towards the tow vehicle.