Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Why do you need the "smurf tube" if the walls are open?

So I was wondering about these newer antennas...are they really any better than the "batwing" that was the standard a few years ago? (with the uhf add-on attachment).

I replaced the original Skyliner with a batwing probably 10 or 12 years ago; they came 2 ways: amplifier in the head, or non-amplified. I had already purchased a stand-alone amplifier/12v outlet, (fits in a standard 4" box), so when I got the batwing, I opted for the non-amplified head unit. It worked fine.
From the info I've seen, it seems that all of the current units have an amplifier built-in, and I'm wondering if that will work with my existing amplifier, or if I will need something else? Also, this "adapter" they have to power them requires 110v, and I assume converts back to 12v. fine unless you're boon-docking.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The absolutely best thing about running 'smurf tube' in a fairly large size is that you can fairly easily replace or add additional wires to the ones in the tube.

Many times on the forums, folks interested in upgrading a circuit have trouble doing so because the wiring is either tied inside the walls, or otherwise untraceable.

Smurf tube is a handy way to run easily maintained wiring, it also protects the wires from rubbing on edges of ribs, etc. A good thing to consider when the interior walls are open.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
When installing the Smurf tube, remember to run pull strings at the same time. The pull strings will come in handy when you need to pull new cable.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
We have one RG-6 cable run for an outside NOAA Weather radio antenna. With that we get at least 2X to 4X better reception and we don't have to go outside to get a good signal.

We have another RG-6 cable run for an outside cellular directional antenna. This is connected to our internal cellular hotspot (others have connected it to a cellular booster).

Both cables terminate in a water resistant outlet on the side of the Airstream. Both antennas go onto a removable/expandable antenna mast.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Run an exterior antenna for the radio if you think you'll listen to it a lot. Also consider some rca cable from the tv to radio if that applies in case you want to listen to tv through radio speakers. The air con easily drowns out small tv speakers.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thanks - I had not thought about using speakers for the tv - will be easy to do now.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How do you watch television?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
When installing the Smurf tube, remember to run pull strings at the same time. The pull strings will come in handy when you need to pull new cable.

John

Even better, run one at least double the length of the installed tube with a tied loop in the middle. Makes it easy to run wires in either direction.

Note: it is wise to tie the ends to a solid anchor at each end. Don't ask how I figured that out, but gravity had a hand in the lesson plan...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I would certainly wire it for cable using RG6. I would also think about running wires for any speakers that you want for both audio and the TV. Most flat screens have crappy speakers. Depending on the size (if it's a bit larger) a sound bar is a nice option if you don't want to get too fancy. I find our standard 1999 Wineguard actually does a decent job with digital TV. I would think there may be better alternatives now. As for Netflix, we camp mostly in state and national parks which (at least where we go) don't have wifi. Even if they had it, I would think it would be quite often overused with the resultant fairly low bandwidth for movie streaming. I think they recommend at least 5mbps.

Our story: for years we didn't have a TV, but now that our daughter is in college, we decided we would enjoy watching a movie etc. once in a while. Therefore in July we installed a nice Samsung 24" (+/-) on the side of the pantry/microwave cabinet along with a fairly compact Sony blu ray player. Both purchased at Costco BTW. We have a Verizon XXL data plan on our iphones, so we can stream movies, TV, Youtube etc. Most places we go we get a decent, fast LTE signal. We get local TV when available via the antenna, but we are cable cutters at home so we really don't watch network TV anyway. I actually have been enjoying having the option of watching a movie from time to time. I think it will really be handy in off/late/early season camping when it's colder (even though I enjoy my "fire" time in that weather!). I'm still sorting out the wires and the location for the blu ray player. Right now I just store it in it's box and unpack and repack it. Only takes a second. I run wires from the TV to my audio system mounted in the cabinet over the couch (Alpine head unit, JL speakers with a Bazooka subwoofer under the couch), that gives us very nice sound. I want to route them in a more permanent fashion once we get out of the relentless 90's and into to better "working in the trailer" weather LOL.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post

John
That'd be too easy then
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #30
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Why do you need the "smurf tube" if the walls are open?
Ponder on that question a bit, and you'll get it
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote