Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
How do you play Sirius XM in your Airstream?

Hi everyone,
We just picked up our new rig.

It is a 2017 Flying Cloud 25, and the radio is Sirius XM ready.

We already subscribe to Sirius XM iPhone app, which at home lets us play Sirius on a phone or iPad.

We were wondering how to best go about playing Sirius inside the Airstream through the actual radio.

It seems that to do this we need to get a special Sirius tuner and attach it to the radio. Is this correct? Anyone do anything else? Bluetooth or hard wire? Any good Youtube videos on all of this?

Thanks in advance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Yes to the tuner needed for your specific radio. Then, as far as I know, you need a new subscription to go with that tuner.

I hard wired a Sirius radio into my AS. It has a subscription and I'm able to move the radio to my home and another RV I have on a permanent site. Just need to buy the extra cables, mount, antenna, etc. I'll send you some info.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Read this thread as all my info is contained in it....plus other ideas.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-165964.html
Old 06-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Just connect your iPhone to the stereo and play off your phone. That will save you an extra Sirius radio on your account.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Lil'Big, thanks for the info. We will check all of that out.

We are thinking ahead to our next trip, which is to Yellowstone. From our experience last year, cell phones don't work but satellite radio does work.

If anyone camps a lot under those conditions, what has your experience been using Sirius?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
We've not hooked up Sirius in our camper, but the one in my truck works in most remote areas.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
I did something slightly different than mentioned in this post and the referenced thread. I have a 2017 27fb, so my setup might be different. I pulled the clarion m303 out and back fed the rca connection to where the blue ray player is. Then I put in an old school rca switch box. Plugged the tv into one input, the dockmounted xm radio into the other. The dock sits on top of the blu ray box and I move the antennae from one side of the overhead locker to to the other depending on which side faces south. Nothing permanently mounted. All of it plays through aux. I also have a iPhone audio out attached to the rca switch to plug in my iPhone/iPad/computer.
Tomhenritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I went with a "portable" unit that plugs into a base (Stratus 6). Normally, I've got it plugged into a base in my house. When I go out on a road trip, I'll plug the unit into a base that I have wired into the trailer stereo. This feeds into the AUX IN on the front of the receiver. I can also swap the cable into a FiiO X1 portable music player that has a copy of my entire (100 gb+) collection of music. The unit will also go into a boombox that I can take outside, when I want to annoy my camping neighbors.

I've got 2 SiriusXM subscriptions, plus the internet, so I can't see paying for a additional one for the Airstream. If you decide to go this route, be aware that newer units don't really sound any better than the older models, they just have fancier features. You can get used or NOS ones on eBay for cheap. You still have to get the subscription for each one, that's where it starts getting pricey.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Saint Louis , MO
Update on the Sirius Platform

Just because no-one's posted here in a while, thought I'd throw a time stamp on 2020 and let you all know that the policy is still, a separate subscription is needed for the AS vs. TV. Nothing like paying twice for what should be one subscription.
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
Just because no-one's posted here in a while, thought I'd throw a time stamp on 2020 and let you all know that the policy is still, a separate subscription is needed for the AS vs. TV. Nothing like paying twice for what should be one subscription.

Just use the app on your smart phone and Bluetooth to the radio in the airstream. App access is generally included with your subscription. Only catch is you do use data on the phone.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you use the phone app, be sure you have unlimited data, since you'll be streaming the app.
I also use the "I Radio" app. Rather than try to find my favorite stations, I stream the one's from home, then bluetooth to the truck or speaker.
Same with podcasts.
If you're a Nascar fan, both MRN and PRN have apps that stream live audio.
You can tell I don't pay a lot of music driving.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Or get one “onyx plus” reciever with 2 docking stations.

I have never had a issue with reception.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Just use the app on your smart phone and Bluetooth to the radio in the airstream. App access is generally included with your subscription. Only catch is you do use data on the phone.

Where I’m camping, we’re not streaming. [emoji41]

Jeff Radford
2019 Classic 30RB
2023 F350 Platinum
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote