Old 09-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
How do we get TV?

We love our 25-foot 2004 Safari, but it doesnít have a TV. (We donít want to watch a lot, but we want the option to watch.) Right now the unit has a Winegard RV antenna and exterior and interior jacks which I believe are TV related (attached pics). When I picked the unit up, in the flurry of instructions there was something about me getting a ďdigital convertor for TV.Ē I ass-ume that that has to do with the conversion from analog to digital (yes?) a few years ago. Thatís about all I know. What else would I have to do to get us some video?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Interior Jack.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	270746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Exterior Jack.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	270747  

Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Preliminary questions:
  • Is there a TV (television) in your Airstream?

• Does it have a built-in DIGITAL tuner, or is it an older ANALOG TV?

• If it's an ANALOG TV, does it have an ANALOG-TO-DIGITAL converter box?

• If you are using a converter box, the VIDEO-OUT connector on the converter box must be connected to the VIDEO-IN on the back of the TV.

• If you are using a converter box, the VIDEO-IN on the converter box must be connected to the TV coax connector on the wall (next to the green LED in your first photo).

• If you have a digital TV, the VIDEO-IN on the back of the TV must be connected to the TV coax connector on the wall (next to the green LED in your first photo).

• Is the original Winegard antenna still on the roof? If not, you may wish to replace it.

The green LED should be ON (push little button next to LED, if necessary, to turn ON/OFF). If LED is ON, this coax plug is connected to the external TV antenna on the roof. If LED is OFF, this coax plug is connected to the coax connector on the outside of your Airstream (as shown in your second photo).

If you use the TV signal provided by the campground, you need to run a TV coax cable from the coax connector on the outside of your Airstream to the coax connector near the campground shore power box. AND, the green LED should be OFF on the wall connector on the inside of your Airstream.

If your TV still doesn't work, please answer the above questions in your next post; and include the brand and model number of your TV.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It used to have a TV I'm guessing and because we were changing to HD programming back then, converters were necessary. That has nothing to do with the present. The antenna and wiring is the same. If there is a TV mount on the wall, so much the better. If there isn't, you'll have to get one.

In the left photo, the short wire on the right side is for a satellite TV setup. I've never bothered with that. On the left side, the lower receptacle is for 12 v. with a cigarette lighter type plug. Above that is the place to connect the coaxial cable for the TV. The little light and button next to it are an antenna booster. Use it when watching on the air channel, turn it off when watching cable (or cable won't work). It appears that the Tv goes close to these connections.

The photo on the right looks like another coaxial cable connection, but I don't know where it is.

Phoenix missed that you said the trailer did not have a TV. He must be distracted because he usually doesn't miss things like that.

We won't tell anyone you sometimes watch TV even though it rots your mind. I have watched TV since 1947 and I'm fine (at least I think so).

Do you have an owner's manual for the trailer? If not, some are reproduced on the Airstream website. That may help you with these and other questions.

Gene
Old 09-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Don't bother with an digital to analog converter. You can buy a digital TV for not much more than $120 at Wal Mart. There will be those that say you must have something designed for an RV. IMHO. You don't need anything special. The $139.00 TV we bought at Wal Mart has more than 20,000 miles of travel on it and it still works just fine.
We even use the TV when bad weather hits and we are boondocking. I installed an inverter to power the small vacuum cleaner and other 120 volt AC devices. We only have 1 Grouo 24 battery. Never had an issue with the TV draining the battery.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
I've read the other posts and there is some useful information there. I'll take a stab at telling you how I think the system works and you can decide how to proceed.

Ignore the u-shaped jumper shown on the right in the first picture. Just leave it alone.

On the left in the first picture is the interior coax connection. This is what you need to connect to the "antenna" connection on the back of the TV you're going to buy.

Also notice the small push-button switch on the first picture. When the switch is pushed in the green light comes on. This means you're in antenna mode and the signal is received from the rooftop Winegard antenna.

When the push button switch is "out" and the green light is off then you're in "cable" mode and the signal enters the trailer from the exterior coax connection shown in the second picture.

So go out and buy an inexpensive digital TV (almost every TV now on a retailer shelf is going to be digital).

Connect the TV to the interior coax connector. Turn on the coax box (push the button so the green light comes on).

Raise the antenna on the roof. Perform a channel scan on the TV. The TV will need to be in "air" mode meaning it's looking for broadcast signals.

You may need to rotate the antenna to point it toward the TV signal. Digital TV signals are very sensitive to antenna orientation. You'll learn more about this as you go.

If you want to use the cable TV setting when you stay at a fancy campground you use a very similar scenario. In this case the interior coax is turned off (no green light). You connect the exterior coax connector to the campground coax jack. Now you set the TV to "cable" mode and perform a channel scan.

You will need to perform a channel scan (either "air" or "cable") at every new locale.

I've glossed over several points but I hope you get the idea.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Also, we use this link to locate stations and point antenna: www.AntennaWeb.org
Old 09-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
You've all given me some good information. Let me digest it and I'll let you know what I decide to do.
Thanks very much!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Hopefully someone else can confirm but if the winegard antenna is original it's not likely set up to pick up digital signals. Winegard makes a new digital head you could swap out or king jack makes a head you can swap right onto the winegard post that gets good reviews.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Hopefully someone else can confirm but if the winegard antenna is original it's not likely set up to pick up digital signals. Winegard makes a new digital head you could swap out or king jack makes a head you can swap right onto the winegard post that gets good reviews.
I am certainly not an electronics expert buy my old Winegard antenna picks up digital signals just fine. My 2006 came to me with an old out of date television. I got a nicer set for my home so I just moved my small (digital) television to the trailer. Works just fine. When you are using the antenna make sure you turn on the power to the antenna by using that small button on the wall. When you are using cable, make sure you turn it off. My Samsung requires that I set the television up for antenna or for cable. I had to read about that. Like I said, I am no expert. My 11 year old grandson isn't always around to help out.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How do we get TV?

The antenna does not care if the signal is analog or digital or purple.

It has no 'brains' in it. I are an enjineer and can actually prove it in several disciplines, as well as being a Ham Radio wonk.

It's mostly marketing hype and BS.

The real question is if you have enough signal to run the tv coming from the antenna. The old "batwing" antenna on my rig works just fine.

I'm replacing it to eventually add more solar panels to the roof. If I get it out intact it will be in the classifieds.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I am certainly not an electronics expert buy my old Winegard antenna picks up digital signals just fine. .
If you have a newer digital TV the old original Winegard Antenna will indeed pick up digital signals over the air, assuming your in a location that is not overly far from broadcast stations and not blocked by mountains etc.

When camped near an urban area I can frequently pick up at least a dozen, often more digital stations with the old Winegard antenna. Winegard sells an attachment for the old antenna's called a Winegard Wingman for about $30 that is easy to attach to the older Winegard Antenna's (take about 5 min) that will help to increase the number of digital channels the original antenna picks-up. I installed one and it did increase the channels but again how many you pick up will depend greatly on your location. As other mentioned you can also purchase a whole new head for the old antenna.

There are a number of threads here in regards to 12V TV's available with built in DVD players that help to keep the system set up easy. Simple a matter of connecting the TV into the 12V system and plugging in the TV's cable line into the wall socket & pushing the little button beside it - you will be able to watch over the air digital TV &/or a movie.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
A few TV's will operate from 12V. We bought Insignia brand from Best Buy in 19" and 24" versions. When purchasing a TV, look for one that has a separate power supply and then read the label to find out if it is 12 volts. You can then cut the power cord to the TV off of the power supply, connect it to a cigarette lighter plug and plug it in to the receptacle in your first picture. This way you will have TV even when boondocking without shore power.

Regarding the antenna, it is true that the antenna doesn't know the difference between digital and analog signals, but it does know the difference between VHF and UHF channels. If your Winegard Sensar antenna does not have the short UHF elements on the front as shown in the link below, you can buy "The Wingman" adapter for around $25 which will improve its performance in the UHF range where most of the channels are these days.

http://www.winegard.com/sensar/sensar-tech-specs

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The antenna does not care if the signal is analog or digital or purple.

It has no 'brains' in it. I are an enjineer and can actually prove it in several disciplines, as well as being a Ham Radio wonk.

It's mostly marketing hype and BS.

The real question is if you have enough signal to run the tv coming from the antenna. The old "batwing" antenna on my rig works just fine.

I'm replacing it to eventually add more solar panels to the roof. If I get it out intact it will be in the classifieds.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
."Last year I couldn't spell 'ENGG-IN-…AR" , now I are one"!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
My 2005 international has the original Sharp Aquos Television and Wineguard antenna. I have not used it since the analog / digital switch except for watching DVDs. I have been unable to determine , even tho I have the original manuals and searched the internet, whether it is a digital tv or not... I have not been where there was tv cable to connect to. I had intended to just switch out with a new tv, but mine appears to be directly wired into the wall connecting to the orig sound system . being lazy and electronically challenged I have just put off this upgrade.
am closely following this thread so as to get new current info to get motivated to fix and find out what is easiest route to remedy like OP.
( the Aquos I think was labelled as Enhanced Definition, EDTV)