Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Hooking up Direct-TV

I have a 2013 AS FC 25FB. I can't figure an easy way to hookup the Winegard antenna to the receiver and ultimately to the TV(s). Running everything through the door is not a solution.
I don't see a common output location to attach the DirectTV receiver. The only output locations for coax is at each TV. In either location, there is no place to put the receiver. The dealer is telling me to remove the screws holding in Blue ray player, drill holes through the box, add wiring to install a switch box. I can't believe this is an Airstream solution to add a satellite receiver especially since they have a satellite coax location adjacent to the cable coax location.
Any input?

John T.
clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
go to page G10 in your manual I found it on the Airstream site for the 2012 models. Hopefully it is the same for yours.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
go to page G10 in your manual I found it on the Airstream site for the 2012 models. Hopefully it is the same for yours.
Thanks for the info...I go to G-10 "The interior pre-wire consisting of a 2-pin power / ground connector and a coax cable pigtail is located in the front roof linker under the Blue-Ray player."

Guess this means I have to unscrew 8 screws on the front panel to the Blue-Ray player. This seems like its a "not so easy solution."

John T
Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
"Units have a faceplate with two coax cable hook-ups. It is located in the TV credenza on all models. The faceplate has a small coax cable jumper running between the hook-ups to complete the cable TV circuit when in use. To install a satellite system use the following procedure:
1. Remove the jumper wire from the coax faceplate.
2. Hook a portable dish into the Cable TV receptacle in the roadside rear underbelly compartment. This feeds the dish signal to the input side of the faceplate.
3. Install the satellite receiver input and output into the dual coax faceplate."
AIR #30685
Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Manasquan , New Jersey
Remove the pigtail and one side gets wired to the reciever and the other goes to the output from the reciever. I actually replaced the pigtail with two long jumpers and when I am NOT using the receiver I put one of those female to female adapters between the two cables.
CountryBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, you have the same rear bed trailer model we have, where exactly is the pigtail?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker187 View Post
I have a 2013 AS FC 25FB. I can't figure an easy way to hookup the Winegard antenna to the receiver and ultimately to the TV(s). Running everything through the door is not a solution.
I don't see a common output location to attach the DirectTV receiver. The only output locations for coax is at each TV. In either location, there is no place to put the receiver. The dealer is telling me to remove the screws holding in Blue ray player, drill holes through the box, add wiring to install a switch box. I can't believe this is an Airstream solution to add a satellite receiver especially since they have a satellite coax location adjacent to the cable coax location.
Any input?

John T.
It's not for everyone but on my 2012 27FB International I had a Winegard Travel'r antenna permanently installed on the roof. The installation included all the wiring for placing the receiver on the upper shelf of the closet and allows me to carry my DirecTV DVR with us. Gives us full HD and all the DVR functions we have at home.

Cost of the entire project was about $2,000. The antenna folds in on itself and lays flat on the roof when moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	175205  

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Manasquan , New Jersey
Doug,Mine is right under the dining table. I then leave the replacement jumpers just hanging behind the table so I can put the receiver on the table.
Bob
CountryBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
"Units have a faceplate with two coax cable hook-ups. It is located in the TV credenza on all models. The faceplate has a small coax cable jumper running between the hook-ups to complete the cable TV circuit when in use. To install a satellite system use the following procedure:
1. Remove the jumper wire from the coax faceplate.
2. Hook a portable dish into the Cable TV receptacle in the roadside rear underbelly compartment. This feeds the dish signal to the input side of the faceplate.
3. Install the satellite receiver input and output into the dual coax faceplate."
You mention the "Units have a faceplate with two coax cable hook-ups. It is located in the TV credenza on all models... What is the TY credenza? Could that be the blue ray player box in the upper left cabinet by the dinette? If it is, the only access is 8 screws on the panel and would require drilling a hole in the top of the box.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Seems that all/most models / years are different configurations. Guess ill have to open the box to locate the cable TV hookup point.
John T
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Seems that all/most models / years are different configurations. Guess ill have to open the box to locate the cable TV hookup point.
John T
John, look for a faceplate on the wall that has a short coax cable looped from one to the other cable connection. It may be under the dinning table or if you have a cabinet for the tv to sit on, it could be in there at the back wall. I do not think you have to do any drilling for it. I have a 2004 so mine is not the same, but it is inside the credenza (cabinet) at the back of it on the wall.
AIR #30685
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That faceplate and loop is located all over the place on different trailers. On our Safari 20' is was up on the wall behind the tv, on this FC 25' under the dinette near the floor.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I know that on the new 28's and 27FB's it's under the dinette. I suspect it's in the same place on the 25FB.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Finely added wiring setup for Direct TV on our AS FC 25 FB. The wiring is inside of the BlueRay player cabinet. Eight screws must be removed from the front panel and two on the right side of the box. This allows access to the Satellite coax and the splitter for the hdmi cable to the BlueRay player. A Monoprice HDMI Switcher/Splitter was added. That way I can switch between the BlueRay player and the DirectTV receiver. I added additional HDMI Cable and coax cable. Also added a power strip to run the Monoprice.
Now I need to get the Direct TV antenna to work. I have tried Winegard Carryout antennas without any luck. I'm going back to the larger totally manual satellite. I hear many people have no luck with the Carryout units.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
John, happy to hear you got it straightened out I am surprised Airstream has you go through so much to hook up an outside dish. Wish I could of been more help.

Bob
AIR #30685
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
Done...everything works. The Winegard Ansner is working, my wiring works, Direct TV works. All is good. I did have to call Direct TV to reactivate the receiver.
If you try to do this...plan to spend some time.
Thanks for everyone's assistance.
John T.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Finely added wiring setup for Direct TV on our AS FC 25 FB. The wiring is inside of the BlueRay player cabinet. Eight screws must be removed from the front panel and two on the right side of the box. This allows access to the Satellite coax and the splitter for the hdmi cable to the BlueRay player. A Monoprice HDMI Switcher/Splitter was added. That way I can switch between the BlueRay player and the DirectTV receiver. I added additional HDMI Cable and coax cable. Also added a power strip to run the Monoprice.
Now I need to get the Direct TV antenna to work. I have tried Winegard Carryout antennas without any luck. I'm going back to the larger totally manual satellite. I hear many people have no luck with the Carryout units.
Do you have any photos when you were taking the panel apart?

Thanks,

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote