Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Lubbock , Texas
Home Audio System in 82' Excella

Hi, I would like to install a 5.1 surround sound home audio system (120v) in my 82' Excella RV. I have 2 coach batteries and would like to be able to run the audio system when not connected to 120v power source (EI: generator or plug in). I would like to install something like this:

Panasonic - 500W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System - SC-HT40

Is this possible? What would I need to do this? A power Inverter? What wattage of power inverter would I need? Any help would be appriciated.

J.T.
weevey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well, you're going to need at least 800w plus however much the TV draws. I'd think maybe something like a 2kw inverter would be good. You could maybe scrape by with 2/3 that, but you couldn't run much else.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Lubbock , Texas
no 120v tv

Well, i was thinking of installing a 20 inch 12v flip down monitor instead of a 120v tv and just running a touch screen head unit 12v dvd player to it. Therefore, the only thing needing to be run off the inverter would be the home audio system, which I would run RCAs from the head unit to the reciever. Does this sound rediculous? Would the load on the 2 coach batteries be too much?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Inverter size

Sweet system, but there are 12 volt automotive systems that can knock your socks off. If you use an inverter it should not be too difficult to see what you need. Determine your power by using: Watts=volts * amps.

Look on the power requirements (usually on the back plate). After you determine the minimal needs add a few percentage points. Keep in mind that if/when you are on a generator many ac stereo systems will kick off whenever the generator burps.

When I use my 5600 watt generator the shelf stero that I use for music when doing upgrades and what ever else I can get into, it will kick off once in a while if the generator burps. I tried a different stereo once--same result (it's the generaltor).

The inverter drawing power from the battery should not have that problem but inverters do draw more power than they furnish. Give some thought to a 12 volt system in the trailer and maybe something portable to take out when you have the need.

A friend of mine just gave me a Jenson automotive am fm cassette cd that pushes about 200w. Not huge, but when we tested it there was enough to drive you out of the AS when its only partially cranked up . We did not max anything out and it only does 50 w per channel * 4 cannels. I will be permanently mounting it this summer. I thought about doing something with a compact ac and an inverter. After I studied it awhile a 12 volt system made more sense for me. That is also why I got the surprise of "don't buy one I have one that you can have", when I mentioned it to him. I was looking at some systems on ebay but noticed the prices were about the same as local purchase except I would get to add shipping. Best buys said they would install free, I would have liked to see their faces when I pulled the AS into the parking lot and said "go at it"!

On the flip side if you have your heart set on the set up-go for it. Just get a good sine wave inverter in order to get the most out of it. do not use a cheap inverter. Those are okay for some things but anything that is power touchy will have problems--some stereos, most computers some dvd players etc.

Happy Sounds

It seems that Randy (Best Converters) had some decent ones on his site. I still need to get a good inverter myself--just for general purposes. Check some of Randy's posts, just search wfco, you'll find them.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Why not use a car audio system? There are 5.1 systems for cars. I have one factory installed in my trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Lubbock , Texas
brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Why not use a car audio system? There are 5.1 systems for cars. I have one factory installed in my trailer.
Any idea what the brand and number on that 5.1 system is? Or possibly even where to find one?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hifi.com..........

had a nice selection of audio stuff at great prices. I currently use their Model 12 2.1 system that is dual fuel.....120VAC or 12VDC. The system ROCKS!!!

Check it out...................................www.hifi.com
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
sony xplod series.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote