Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #29
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
BA -

This does look good. I opted for a residential integrated amp, a Classe' CAP101, solid state, that gives me very clean 100 watts a channel sound. I have been very pleased with the sound quality. I have been using an old CD player from home, but still plan to upgrade. I am off on a 3 week trip next Monday, and will try using my 80 gB iPod as my only music source (instead of CDs). Convenience is the biggest plus, but compromised sound quality is the trade off - it seems to be a minor trade off so far.

Any good sound system will be a pleasure in an Airstream - the soundstage is just waiting for electronics to enliven it. "Tunes in the Tube" add to the overall experience.

Mark

Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #30

1975 31' Sovereign
Bon Air , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis
BA -

This does look good. I opted for a residential integrated amp, a Classe' CAP101, solid state, that gives me very clean 100 watts a channel sound. I have been very pleased with the sound quality. I have been using an old CD player from home, but still plan to upgrade. I am off on a 3 week trip next Monday, and will try using my 80 gB iPod as my only music source (instead of CDs). Convenience is the biggest plus, but compromised sound quality is the trade off - it seems to be a minor trade off so far.

Any good sound system will be a pleasure in an Airstream - the soundstage is just waiting for electronics to enliven it. "Tunes in the Tube" add to the overall experience.

Mark
That's great Mark. Classe' makes a solid unit and should fill your trailer with smooth stressfree music. I am a bit envious. Take care. Mark

Old 06-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #31
You may know my brother..

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Hi everyone, nice site!

I have an older (1970) Sansui AU-717 integrated amp that is pretty rock solid and sounds great. I would recommend a smaller version of this (317 or 517) that would be (relatively) lightweight and take up less space. You can also get one with rack handles to mount in your trailer.

I bought mine anticipating some recapping and testing and have been very happy with my decision. I would recomend audiokarma.org for more info on vintage gear.

There are a few older mcIntosh receivers that sound great (models 1700 & 1900) but they are a bit pricey.

I would think you could get a smaller Sansui (317) for $100-$150 or so, and plan on spending $120 or so to have it brought back to spec via tech. These units were horribly overbuilt and are very sturdy. Their power specs are real specs and conservative at that. The 717 is rated at 85 wpc but mine was tested at around 100 wpc with minimal THD. I haven't turned it up to 11 yet...

Try AK and mention the Eros... not familiar with those speaks... Curious what you end up with.

JG
Old 12-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
My previous house didn't have wheels, now I'm trying to figure out how to stuff some Martin-Logans and Krell amps in a a 25 footer.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Gaylord , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Rollerboy
also check out some old carver gear or his new sunfire line..... really impressive specs !
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #34
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
A year later, how do you rate this Uwe? And I am correct in understanding this is a 12V system? (I know less than nothing about audio systems).
Rodney,
I just found your question, by accident, when this thread popped up.
So far, the Bose/Denon amp/i-pod syste, works very well, and has earned many positive comments from fellow campers. I added a wireless remote to the i-pod, one I used when listening to the ipod on my motorcycle. I since got a tiny ipod shuffle for the bicycle and motorcycle.
Anyways, the system has been performing very well. It plays my music good and loud if I want it to be, or whisper quiet with full and rich sound. It hits pretty hard when turned up high....fun. The lack of tone controls is not a bad thing for me, my home amp doesn't have any either, and if the system is configured properly, you won't need them.

Of course there are limitations with such small speakers, but overall, the sound is acceptable, and the system travels very well, seemingly impervious to road shock and vibrations, as well as high humidity or desert heat.

I started setting up a mac mini for my entertainment/computing needs, but have not yet followed through with the installation inside the trailer. A part of me enjoys the simplicity and entertainment value of just reading a book and listening to music by choice.
On my last business trip with the Overlander, I brought my lap top for computing, and watching DVD's. I's clumsy, a built in system would be nicer, in my opinion. The front row feature of the mac mini makes it ideal for a small, but potent entertainment/computing control center.

Bringing vintage and potentially precious HiFi audio gear to a travelling trailer doesn't sound like such a good idea to me, with all the shaking and rattling going on while travelling. It would be great for a permanent installation, of course.