Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
Question Help Mounting LCD to Wall

Hey guys, I am looking to purchase this Samsung 26" lcd to go in my family's 2005 28' safari. I was thinking we could mount it on the perpindicular wall over the dining table, which is between the table seat and the bathroom. The wall feels solid but it looks like it will have a few screws sticking out into the bathroom, which may not look too pretty.

Basically, I am wondering if the wall can even support a 20 lb. tv, and if it will require any additional bracing, say on the bathroom side of the wall. Lastly, how safe is it to drill through that wall, is it completely solid?

The mounts I was looking at are here and here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and the more pictures the better.
Italiano86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'd be interested in the answers here, but can't add any. However I do see that the TV actually weighs 23 lbs and the mount another 7.5. so you are really looking at 30.5 lbs.

In your search, did you come across any TVs that run off 12 volts?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
I honestly haven't been looking for any tv's than run off 12v. I think my dad has a mini honda generator in case we needed 12v power, but more than likely we would stay in a place which has a power outlet. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want a tv bigger than about 10-14" because any higher, even if it is a 12v, would have a horrible drain on the batteries if you don't use a hookup.

Hope someone can tell me about attaching the mount to the wall.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I am not familiar with your particular Safari, but I think you should be able to mount the TV on that wall, particularly if you can get at least one or two screws fairly close to the outside edge of the wall. Most Airstream walls are hollow and made of pretty sturdy plywood. The reason to have some of the screws close to the outside edge is that the edge is capped and keeps the two sides of the wall from being squeezed together by through-going bolts. The key to having the back (bathroom) side look good is to use large flat-head or oval-head screws (bolts) inserted from the bathroom side and have locking hexnuts on the TV mount side. Use large snapcaps (West Marine has them) on the bathroom side to cover the screwheads. You will probably need to cut the bolts to the correct length. After drilling just large-enough holes in the wall and testing that the TV mount is precisely where you want it, remove the mount from the wall and apply abundant double-sided foam tape to the back and screw it in place. Make sure you do not squeeze the hollow part of the wall too much when tightening up the screws. The screws will take the shear stresses from the weight of the TV and mount, but the tape will keep everything from moving and make it so you do not need to overtighten the screws.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
I don't like the sound of that wall being hollow like that, is it only hollow in some sections, or are there basically two sheets of plywood, seperated with a thin gap inbetween? I have read alot about people saying to only buy the airstream wall mount, what did you think of the ones on bestbuy's website? Lastly, would some sort of backplate be necesary, or can that plywood wall really hold a 20lb tv and a 7lb mount while moving and bouncing around? Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
I mounted mine on my 1972 Overlander, it's an older unit sure, the wall was pretty thin so I did put some 1/2" plywood behind the wall and screwed it to the wall first. Then screwed the mounting plate that hold the tv. The piece of plywood has to be bigger. Longer for sure to distribute the weight.
But again I don't know how your wall is.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
I would guess the wall is at least an inch think, and feels very soid, but it also seems like it's a tad hollow. I am wondering how I can find out for sure. Putting another piece of wood onto the bathroom wall is probably out of the question, my parents would not like that at all, lol. Using bolts with endcaps which match the color of the wall could probably work, but I'm not sure how the washers would fit under the caps. Please post some picture if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would like to see how you did yours. Thanks again for the help so far.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
I should have said that I mounted mine on a "blind" wall. I mean the wall on the side of the fridge so doesn't mater what's behind.
Also in the bedroom, it's a comon wall with a closet so again no view on the plywood.
You may try flat head bolts, and paint them. If your ply is 1" it's more than enough. My wall is 1/8" plus 1/2"ply.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
Ah, now I understand. The wall between the dining area and the bathroom must be at least an inch thick, don't you suppose? I push in on the wall and it doesn't go anywhere, and I wouldn't imagine they would put two pieces of plywood together and have a gap inbetween. I'm still debating whether or not we should use a backing plate, or just use enough screws. My mom says she will probably put a towel rack over where the bolts come through, so it won't matter how it looks, haha. I just wish I could get a blue print of the trailer somehow to see how the wall is made.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
You can try thru bolting it, when you drill the first hole you'll see haw it's made.

Then use acorn nuts on the other side of the wall it will look better than factory.

If you need support it may look better with a 1/4" piece of aluminum rather than wood.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Lyle V

2005 28' Safari
Tullahoma , Tennessee
Been there...Done that!
I have mounted a 20 in. HDTV to that spot...Here's what I learned.
First do not believe the factory! They told me that wall was over an inch thick...Wrong! When I drilled the first hole, it punched through really fast. I went into the restroom & looked...the wall was 1/4 in. thick (or thin!). Obviously not enuff to support LCD TV & wall mount. After checking with my soon to be Ex we decided a handtowel holder was needed at that location.
I went to Lowes & purchased a preshaped piece of oak & a circular towel-holder, 2 bolts & a couple of brass colored acorn nuts. The whole works went together slick & the television is still on the wall....8000 miles later. I check the nuts before every trip. I bought a piece of nylon belt w/velcro to hold the television close to the wall during travel, as mount allows it to pull out from the wall for viewing. I'm not sure of the weight, but it is less than 30lbs.
Lyle
Lyle V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
Wow, it's hard to believe that wall is only 1/4" thick, I can push on it and it won't budge one tiny bit, it feels very solid. Would you mind showing me a few pictures of your setup, I would really like to see how the towel holder turned out and how the mount is on the wall. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you can get to the back side the thru bolt it! Use large washers on the back side to spread out the weight. see one of the many thread on this subject.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...m-31558-2.html

are pictures of how I mounted mine in the bedroom.

If you do not wantto thru bolt it then make or buy a mounting plate and bolt the mounting arm to that and then put many screws into the plate.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
Lyle V

2005 28' Safari
Tullahoma , Tennessee
Photos 2005 28' Safari

Sorry to take so long, I had to take pictures & feel my way around loading them in, so here goes.....[IMG]DSCN0035[/IMG][IMG]DSCN0030[/IMG][IMG]DSCN0032[/IMG]
The board does not flex at all & seems really solid, but drill thru it & see!
Hopefully these photos uploaded & I hope file sizes are reasonable as camera is 10 MP.
Lyle V
Old 05-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
Lyle V

2005 28' Safari
Tullahoma , Tennessee
Well back to the Drawing board on the Photos!
Old 05-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
Haha, no problem, take your time. I am pretty much ready to get the tv and mount, but my parents are being hesistant, lol. I'll probably end up thru-bolting the mount, with some good size washers, then thru-bolting a good size towel rack through the mount side of the wall, this way the tv will cover the towel bolts, and vice-versa.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
After some more research I think the best way to put a tv mount on the wall would be to use 2 sheets of lexan plastic, one on the dinet side of the wall, and the other on the bathroom side. Thru bolt each piece to the other using 4 bolts, capped off with something fancy. Then, bolt the tv mount up and the towel rack up, hopefully sharing 2 bolts to hide them while coming through. The lexan should distribute most of the weight through the plywood since it's so thin, and it's clear so you can still see the wallpaper.

Here's a diagram I made up. School is out for the summer so I have too much free time, go figure. Please comment on my idea and let me know what you think.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Lexan?

Can't see that structurally supporting the TV at all????

Old 05-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
You mean the lexan may be overkill? I could just go with regular plastic sheeting at the hardware store, I don't know yet, just throwing ideas around. I'm not gonna mess around with the quarter inch plywood though, because 30 lbs on that wall while the trailer is moving is bound to stress it. Please tell me any more ideas you migh thave, thanks again.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #20
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
No, I don't think will do anything as in a waste of time.

Use plywood or a nicely finished alum plate on the back side.