Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Hey Zep, I forgot to post this for you. Here's that little Braund Amp I mentioned before. I've got a few more pic's someplace if you need 'em.
Thanks for the research. I am now totally confused. Either I didn't look very closely or mine is "different", but I don't see the 12V going to the "amp." On mine it looks like the cigarette lighter wires are completely separate from what I think is merely a balun matching transformer.

I'd be pretty amazed if there were any active components on that board. I'm thinking mid-1970s, a world where UHF channels were starting to be common but many TVs still had to use a set-top converter. I guess those little boxes were solid-state, even though only a few years before you could't do even 144 mHz with a transistor, you had to use a tiny tube called a Nuvistor, which required B+, grid bias voltage, and filament supply. As you can surmise, I'm still skeptical.

Do you actually see transistors and resistors on your amplifier? And maybe a capacitor or two? Without these components, it can't be an active device.

Zep
Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #42
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
There are definately transistors on the circuit board. I've got a picture on the other computer of how it was originally wired. I'll try to post it tonight.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My antenna seems to be in decent shape, but a couple of the cross bars are loose. Also the cable is cut just before it goes into the trailer. So whaddayathink? Repair it all? Rivet the arms back on it?
I have been using a small rabbit ear type set outside the trailer, which works well..and I have a direct tv set up although I have not yet used it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Television Signal Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Thanks for the research. I am now totally confused. Either I didn't look very closely or mine is "different", but I don't see the 12V going to the "amp." On mine it looks like the cigarette lighter wires are completely separate from what I think is merely a balun matching transformer.
Hi Zep,

I agree that it is a balun. I have attached a photo of the powered amplifier in my Excella that I replaced the 2 in series that were in it. Note the 120-volt cord coming out the bottom. The old units combined had less signal boost than this one alone. They were in plastic cases that looked like the early 60s. I think one or both were Radio Shack. One had ins and outs for both 75 and 300 ohms.

I have an almost identical, lower powered, GE unit in the ’67 Trade Wind, but it is in a chrome box. I put it in back in the late 80s when I got the AS, and it still works well. These amps work very will and do not degrade the original signal when not powered. I got both the old and new ones at Wal-Mart.

Vaughan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Amp.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	43259  
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
A couple of photos of how I mounted my TV. E-cheapo walmart wall mount and a home-made extender bracket so the TV will swing around for viewing from the bedroom. This also allowed me to put the mounting screws into the refrig bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	43365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	43366  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #46
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
got any bigger pics than that? what part is home-made??
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
got any bigger pics than that? what part is home-made??
Oh man, questions. I'll have to wait 'till we finish our big road trip to do a take down for photos but here is a verbal. The default bracket that bolts to the back of the TV set is "X" shaped and the swivel assembly hooks to the middle of the X. I replaced the X with an Aluminum (of course) plate painted black the offsets the swivel assembly over 4". This puts the wall mount at the very edge of the TV. The bungee cord in the photo keeps the TV strapped against the wall for traveling.

More photos in a few days.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote