Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Or the loop could be there for strain relief to keep the tension off the connectors to some degree.

As to the ground block, the exterior grade RG-6 was apparently made to be used in conjuction with the ground block in a static installation, like the side of your house. I also got the impression that the ground block had something internal that would shunt an electrical overload to ground if needed and keep it off the dielectric and ground shealth on the house side of th equation. BUT, I need to look into this further.

At some point, a PO completely covered the mount, except for the moving parts, of course, with Vulkem. It looks rough, but hey it's on the roof. And the shaft did leak a couple of times, but I replaced a couple of O-rings during this rebuild. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our PO handed me the original antenna to our '66. It used to mount on the front of the coach near the front window. I 'patched' the 2 mount holes with chrome tape. The antenna is in good condition except for the old flat wire. I have been considering remounting it (it folds up vertically) because it does look vintage. Any opinions or experiences pro or con?

Neil and Lynn

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #17
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
The vintage look is one of the reasons that I restored mine. We wanted to have a TV antenna of some sort. Truth be told, I've only spent about $30 to $40 to on the antenna itself. The wire needed to be replaced either way (buy new or restore old). We decided to keep the exterior as "vintage" as possible, without breaking the bank. The interior we intend to modernize and build to suite us. That's kinda the way we see it anyway.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Our PO handed me the original antenna to our '66. It used to mount on the front of the coach near the front window. I 'patched' the 2 mount holes with chrome tape. The antenna is in good condition except for the old flat wire. I have been considering remounting it (it folds up vertically) because it does look vintage. Any opinions or experiences pro or con?

Neil and Lynn
Hi, Neil. I would put it on just for the looks, [original antenna] even if it doesn't work. And if it does work, that's even better.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I was told you only need to hook up the ground if you are getting interferance. So this is one of those things, if you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers. I would call a cable Co.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

On my Skyliner antenna the loop in the cable is necessary as slack to enable the whole antenna to be rotated through almost 360 degrees via the internal handle. When rotated in one direction, the cable is wrapped around the perimeter of the rather large base.
Nick.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman

Neil and Lynn
THANKS! Your post made me investigate my original antenna pieces. Furthermore, yesterday a fellow forum member (thanks Nvstysly!) showed me how it really opens out and works, how to fix the old parts, and put new wire end terminals on for me. I'm delighted and feel like an idiot all at the same time. Y'all would laugh if you saw the pitiful mess I'd been sending up into the airwaves.

As for using it, yes I do when cable hookups aren't available. Things are much better now that I've been educated. Even though I'm camping in the mountains and a long distance from stations I'm at least getting a picture. It will probably be even better in other locations. My flat wire is in good shape and I'll compromise picture quality because of the vintage look.

My mounting bracket was curbside of the front window also but is missing. Don't ask how I rig my antenna setup, you would laugh at that too. So I'm curious, Neil, what hardware you might use if you plan to mount yours.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
THANKS! Your post made me investigate my original antenna pieces.

My mounting bracket was curbside of the front window also but is missing. Don't ask how I rig my antenna setup, you would laugh at that too. So I'm curious, Neil, what hardware you might use if you plan to mount yours.
Mine was mounted streetside of the front window. There is a shaft and knob that goes into the coach for I guess directional adjustment. I haven't yet unwrapped and deployed the antenna to discover how it works. I appears all the parts are there. I don't know where the antenna wire travels in the walls but the plug to the Tv is on othe shelf above the refrigerator which isn't large enough for a decent size Tv. If you want me to photograph the antenna for your reference let me know. It may be awhile before I remount it to the coach.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I appreciate the photo offer. I'm mostly interested in finding a source for the bracket or how to construct one, I'd like to rivet a similar bracket into the same holes as the original. It sounds like the 1966 technology was a little more advanced than my 1960. There is nothing inside my coach for deploying or adjusting. Mine is deployed by adjusting a thumbscrew on the pole and raising the antenna by hand outside. Adjustment is done the old fashioned way ~ going outside and manipulating the thing in all manner of weather while looking in the front window to see what the picture is doing.

The flat wire in mine routes from the antenna at the tongue into or under the belly pan, and comes up through the floor under the fridge. It then runs through the heat vent behind the fridge up to the TV shelf. If any of my photos may help you, let me know.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Buggy whips and twin lead ...

If you want to produce a scrunched-up puzzled look on a young clerk's face at most electronics stores, ask for a roll of "twin lead". That's the name for the old flat two lead outdoor antenna wire. You'll likely be directed to the manager, who may remember it and can explain it to those born in the cable or digital wireless age. My closest Radio Shack no longer carries twin lead, but I did buy a connector for mounting on the Braund antenna that joins twin lead to coax.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I read somewhere that, with a digital signal, over the air, that you either get a picture or you don't and, if you do get a picture, the old rabbit ears will work just as well as Rube's super-dooper, high-priced, mars-capable antenna. My question, with respect to the built-in amplifier in my Excella, is whether or not the built-in amplifier enhances or degrades an "over-the-air" HDTV signal?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet “HDTV Antennas”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I read somewhere that, with a digital signal, over the air, that you either get a picture or you don't and, if you do get a picture, the old rabbit ears will work just as well as Rube's super-dooper, high-priced, mars-capable antenna. My question, with respect to the built-in amplifier in my Excella, is whether or not the built-in amplifier enhances or degrades an "over-the-air" HDTV signal?
Correct about the signal. I can’t help about the old booster(s), my Excella had two hooked together. I scrapped them and bought a new, higher amplification one from Wal-Mart for about $30. You could always try it both with and without.

Vaughan
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Chuck is right about the "drip loop". It is keep water from flowing into the cable entrance to the building.

Most if not all television stations are broadcasting in analog and digital. Our local channel 20 (WCJB) analog is simulcast on channel 16 in digital. They have 2 program streams, labled 20-1 and 20-2 in my DirecTV program guide. 20-1 is ABC network and 20-2 is The CW network. Programs may or may not be in HD, depending on whether the program was shot or broadcast in HD. My DirecTV receiver has an ATSC tuner built in to it. It automatically searches for digital stations and places them in the receivers program guide. You need a regular TV antenna as well as a sat antenna to get the digital off air to work on the DirecTV sat receiver.

HD ready TV antennas are very similar to "fat free" regular gasoline.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, so the loop is not for lightning, which is good, because it didn't work when our house got zapped. The shedding of water, and strain relief, are much more sensible answers. Even though it means the cable guy that told me this is an idiot...