Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
HDMI Problem 2014 25FB Flying Cloud

Greetings all.

I purchased my trailer last year, right around this time of year. We got to take one camping trip out, then winterized the trailer. Now, we are not really all that big into watching movies while we camp. We did not watch any movies before I winterized the trailer last fall.

This spring, we took it out. We have literally been gone every weekend since June. This summer in Alaska was fantastic and we had a blast. Not every weekend was without some inclement weather, so we fired up the Blue-Ray player. To my son's disappointment, the TV in the living room would randomly go blank, or choose not to play at all...only on HDMI. The receiver worked just fine, but there are no TV stations around some of the places we stay. What was even more strange was the fact that the TV in the bedroom worked just fine.

I did some troubleshooting and eliminated the HDMI splitter and narrowed it down to the cable. Only the cable to the living room TV. I can't just drop the trailer off at the dealer for troubleshooting or repairs, and I didn't get much of a response from the dealer on what to do.

Today, I took some more time to explore the problem at hand. Why is this cable bad? It worked when I first brought it home. It worked randomly while camping...

The following is what I discovered:

I took down the window shade hoping to expose the route the cable takes to get to the TV:

That was all it took...I found the problem:

Here is what caused it:

The screws from the bottom of the window shade.

As soon as I removed the cable which was stuck in the screws, the TV started working again. I am going to leave it alone to see if the cable will now continue to malfunction or if I am going to need to figure out how to re-run a new cable to the TV, because I want a 100% working trailer even if I don't use that feature that often.

I have contacted Airstream and will keep you posted as to what they say about this issue.

Meanwhile, if you have a newer Airstream and have a problem with the HDMI devices not working properly you now have a place to start!

Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Great troubleshooting! Well done.

And thanks so much for sharing.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Late to this, but thanks for the post. You don't have to run a new cable. You can cut the cable and put a female connector on one end and a male on the other and join them up. I've had to do it in another brand when all this first came out years ago and it worked until we sold it years later.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I cannot even imaging slicing a HDMI cable and adding connectors!
Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowbaording habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I had to put a new connection on the end of our 12 Classic. If someone can do this well troubleshooting (my hats off to you) splicing or putting new ends on will just take some time and patience. Congratulations on a great troubleshooting job.

Tater is offline   Reply With Quote