Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

my problem is that I don't have the required 10" of clearance between the sensar head and my center vent. frustrating thing is that if I had known several years ago, when I installed this thing, that this change was coming, I could have installed the head a few inches further forward. there's nothing in the way. I'm not cutting new holes in the roof, now.
I wonder if I could shorten the masts. If I recall, they're just a couple of hollow square tubes. It probably only needs to come forward a couple of inches.
The Winegard on our '83 Excella was installed in front of, and folds down over the Fantastic Fan cover. They installed a bracked for it to lay in which holds it just above the vent cover rather than laying on the roof. Such a bracket would solve your problem. In order to open the vent more than an inch or so, we must raise the antenna. Oh well, so be it. Works just fine.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I found this in a previous thread. Apparently, a rep. from Winegard addresses the vent clearance issue in post # 12.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...man-48742.html

"You can remove up to the second director if you wish without losing too much signal. We do not recommend taking off the second director or you will really affect the ability of the Wingman to help direct the UHF signal.

Andy Crowner
Winegard Company"

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, I saw the same thing posted on their own website. The situation is very similar to the pics in that thread, although, I think I have even less room. don't think removing just 1 of those thingies would be enough, and even if it was, it would kind of defeat the purpose of the the whole thing, imo.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #18

Burlington , Iowa
Quote:
Why? Same signal will work on new sets or with converter box on old sets. There is a part that can be added to the wing to make it a better uhf antenna, but when signals are available the old antenna works fine.
This is correct. The digital signal can be received by the same antennas that picked up analog signal, they do not care. Many of the stations have moved to UHF (14-51), however 98% of markets have at least one major VHF channel so both are still needed.

The Winegard Wingman will help you receive those UHF channels which are just out of range or have a low signal. If you are receiving signal at 100%, obviously the Wingman won't make a difference.

Quote:
TV is more fussy about signal quality than the older analog signals. So if you get marginal analog reception, figure on getting a new antenna for digital.
The new digital signal works similar to your cellphone signal. If you have enough bars, you can talk clearly and hear clearly. If you do not, you have nothing. The new signal is just like that, instead of fuzz, it's nothing.

Quote:
You can remove up to the second director if you wish without losing too much signal. We do not recommend taking off the second director or you will really affect the ability of the Wingman to help direct the UHF signal.

Quote:
and even if it was, it would kind of defeat the purpose of the the whole thing, imo.
You can remove the front tip of the Wingman without significantly lowering the performance gain on the antenna. If your purpose is to increase the performance of your antenna and receive channels you were unable to before, this is definitely not defeating the purpose.

TV Antenna Selector
Portable Satellite TV Antenna
HDTV Basics Guide
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post
This is correct. The digital signal can be received by the same antennas that picked up analog signal, they do not care. Many of the stations have moved to UHF (14-51), however 98% of markets have at least one major VHF channel so both are still needed.

The Winegard Wingman will help you receive those UHF channels which are just out of range or have a low signal. If you are receiving signal at 100%, obviously the Wingman won't make a difference.

The new digital signal works similar to your cellphone signal. If you have enough bars, you can talk clearly and hear clearly. If you do not, you have nothing. The new signal is just like that, instead of fuzz, it's nothing.

You can remove the front tip of the Wingman without significantly lowering the performance gain on the antenna. If your purpose is to increase the performance of your antenna and receive channels you were unable to before, this is definitely not defeating the purpose.
Thanks Andy,

It is good to hear from an authoritative source. It's hard to believe the amount of confusion the switch to HDTV has generated. Even with numerous posts from members who switched to HD some time ago stating that everything works just fine on existing antennas, confusion remains.

It is good that you are addressing the need to boost the UHF section of your products and offer advice on adapting to special circumstances.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When did Airstream start installing the newer higher gain Winegard antennas?

It is true the digital signals have to be tuned better and disappear quickly if you move too many degrees from the center. If signals are coming from different directions, it's less likely you'll get both. The trade off is clearer pictures, especially in HDTV, if you can get them.

Gene
Old 10-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Thumbs up 22 digital channels without Wingman

As I expected... With line of sight to Sandia Crest transmitters at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta rally I auto found 22 digital channels on the Samsung HDTV. They all came in pretty great. Of course some were not broadcasting in HD.
-Ken