Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
"Have dish, will travel"? Need your input on a simple mounting for satellite antenna

We're getting Henri all dressed up for his run to the sun in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering how you folks mount your satellite dish on your TT.

We had a spare dish on a pole in concrete buried in the ground at our camp this summer, and I got used to being able to catch up on the news and so on. I know the dish (Bell TV) will receive as far south as Mexico, but I clearly remember that aiming it was NOT a walk on the beach.

Short of spending over a thousand dollars on one of those six (or was it eight)-sided boxes that automate the task how have you done this?

TIA,

Aage
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Portable dish is the best, you know on a tripod. There will be times when your trailer isn't located in just the right spot to get a clear shot at the satallite.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We got one of those low-to-the-ground dish mounts for our dish. It's about 18" tall, and easy to store and move. No matter what you get, you'll need a compass and a level, unless you're really good at knowing your directions, and if the ground is level.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
A tripod mounted dish is most likely the best deal for the money and as mentioned, the most portable for locating with an unobstructed view of the southern sky.

We do like the automatic dish from Motosat.com and are considering having this unit mounted on the roof of our trailer after seeing the success others have had with this unit (even through trees if you can believe it).

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We got one of those low-to-the-ground dish mounts for our dish. It's about 18" tall, and easy to store and move. No matter what you get, you'll need a compass and a level, unless you're really good at knowing your directions, and if the ground is level.
Hi,
Do you have any more info on this. It sounds like what I am looking for, but haven't found yet.
Thanks,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

SideKick

I Just found this on the Internet. It look pretty versatile.
Welcome SideKick rv dish mount
I am seriously considering getting one.
Regards,
Ken
Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I use one of these from Winegard. The portability of a tripod (in the event you are on a heavily shaded site), folding legs, and built-in level and compass is a real plus, but the build quality is seriously lacking. The best tripod I've used was a video camera tripod which I modified. It was far sturdier, but took up more space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	312GSJMVGRL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	89938  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When you head out, don't tell your satellite provider that you are taking your receiver/antenna with you. Some providers want extra $$$ for "RV" service and some (primarily Canadian) will have a stroke, tell you that you can't legally use the system south of the border and shut you down. What they don't know...

With Directv, I lose my local stations when I head north (they are spot beams) but everything else works fine, including north of the border.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
tucson , Arizona
Dish TV

I use Dish net when traveling. They have no problem with changing my locals. You just need to give them a new address in the correct area. Originally they tried to send me to another company that specializes in RV use but I insisted in using Dish net proper.

You really need to have some kind of meter to locate the satellites. There are some very simple meters around $10 on Ebay and they help a lot. After a number of years of fighting the antenna setup I finally bought a digital meter for $100 and now life is really simple.

Don't forget to bring an extra 100 feet of coax cable. Many times your antenna has to be moved quite a distance to "see" through obstacles.

The "foot print" for Dish net is really sharp. Low gain antennas like those located in the enclosed domes will loose signal around 100 miles south of the border. Larger dishes are necessary as you go further south. The normal small dish will receive around 200-250 miles south of the border.
pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Hi,
Do you have any more info on this. It sounds like what I am looking for, but haven't found yet.
Thanks,
Ken
Winegard Portable Digital Satellite Antenna - Item - Camping World

It's gone up in price since we bought ours-- a lot. Two years ago, it was $89.99 for the stand and dish.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Portable Satellite Antenna - Item - Camping World
have been using dish net for the past 20 years and in my rv for the last 10. Have had three different tripods and finally went for the on the ground model. It doesn't blow over in high winds and I am keeping it in the packaging that came with it. The others have been damaged both in travel and by blowing over even when staked down.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Do it yourself

I found this link. I am thinking of some sort of variation of this. Maybe with the antenna right side up.
sat
regards,
Ken
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
its a good looking rig that should work well and be easy to carry, a cute little circular bubble level would be a handy addition.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wowsa, what a great bunch you are!

Well, thanks to you all for the many ideas plus the tips on getting the most out of it.

Of the "store bought" versions I see, the Sidekick has the most appeal for me, but what I think I'll try first is the "home brew" one made of white PVC. I'm already thinking that filling a couple of the feet sections with shot or even sand might give it better wind resistance.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Tags
anttenna