Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
Hard To Replace Sony In '06 Bambi?

I'd like to replace the Factory? Sony am/fm/cd unit in our '06 Bambi Int'l CCD. Can anyone tell me how to access the innards to replace the mounting bracket so I can install a new unit...

Thanks,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I don't know if you want another Sony or not.

But on mine, the CD player went belly up after a year or two. I bought another Sony at the time and it just slid into the existing bracket. The new one had a front aux input which is nice.

Don't know if the 2011s still use the same bracket. I replaced mine in '07ish.

Don't know the specifics of your trailer but on mine there is an access panel in the cabinet I can remove to get to the back of the Sony car stereo. But I didn't need to by using existing bracket.

Edit mine takes the tool also mentioned in the post below.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Ours came with special tool to remove unit from bracket. Looks like a special gizmo wrench. Do you have the tool? If not I bet the guys a Best Buy or such can advise you..
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yup, slide the tools (there should be a pair) into slots/holes on each side of the radio, push them in, and slide the old radio out.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #5

Olathe , Kansas
I went with a Kenwood with Bluetooth. I love it! It also had audio hook ups for surround sound. I took off the side panel in the over head cabinet (3 screws and a good suction cup) to access the wires and drilled a hole for iPhone connection for charging.

While I had the panel off I covered the green with white shelf paper. I hated the green glow. The lower sections are covered with a red mat. I'll see if I have better pictures somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3413683861.png
Views:	133
Size:	1,004.2 KB
ID:	126167   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4095754450.png
Views:	163
Size:	946.0 KB
ID:	126168  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I went with a Kenwood with Bluetooth. I love it! It also had audio hook ups for surround sound. I took off the side panel in the over head cabinet (3 screws and a good suction cup) to access the wires and drilled a hole for iPhone connection for charging.
Did you get one that is also a DVD player? They don't cost much more than a regular CD player these days, and give the option of playing movies with one less peice of equipment than was needed with just the CD player alone.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #7

Olathe , Kansas
I have a 19' Bambi Our new HDTV had a DVD (won it in a raffle) player in it and we didn't have the av upgrade so we fished for the av cables (above the outlets by the bed) and followed them to behind the tv area and hold your breath, cut a hole and installed an outlet in the bookcase behind the tv. Now we have surround sound!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #8

Olathe , Kansas
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2127958713.png
Views:	172
Size:	775.1 KB
ID:	126169   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-567851583.png
Views:	162
Size:	842.6 KB
ID:	126170  

Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Amelia , Ohio
Hey, thanks for all the replies. I can't find the release tools, so I'll have to consult the mobile audio engineers at Best Buy

If I access the unit from the storage compartment, would I be able to remove the whole unit, mounting bracket and all, without having the release tools? I figure if I'm gonna replace the whole thing anyway, why worry about removing the unit from the mounting bracket...

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The two release tools are stamped sheet metal -- looks kinda like a car door jimmy. Light gray IIRC. About 3/8" x 6" working just from memory.

I've been looking for a reason to replace mine. It's got a terrible interface with non-Sony products; eg iPods. Does Sony even make an mp3 player? Fail... Putting the morning toast into the CD slot isn't destroying it yet. Will have to try finishing nails. Looks like I'll have to follow up with blmitch5.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
OP you could use a car stereo install tool kit. Its a bunch of plastic paddles and a couple of stamped metal tools. They cost $5-20 and are great for automotive interior repairs as well (helps in taking the panels apart, replacing interior lights, etc). I used one of the plastic tools to help me open the halogen puck lights on the 'stream...

Quote:
...While I had the panel off I covered the green with white shelf paper. I hated the green glow. The lower sections are covered with a red mat. I'll see if I have better pictures somewhere.
Hated the orange glow in ours. Yours look great! I took them apart and covered them in aluminum wrap. It looks really slick. I have access to waterjets and plasma cutters and am considering custom cutting aluminum to fit. /off topic
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
iPod

CanoeStream,

I have only had my trailer for a year and a half and one of the first things I wanted to do was to replace the Sony. I took it in to a local stereo shop and the guy there told me it was fine. He even showed me how to use the remote which, by the way, was very confusing. I tried reading the literature but that is another story.

We do not listen to much music when we camp but do when on longer trips. I picked up a cord at Target ($5.99) that plugs into the iPod and has two leads, one white, the other red, that plug into the jacks on the side in the cabinet.

The sound is great but you need to use the iPod to control things and it does not charge while plugged in. For us, it is fine. I read about the connector here on the forum some time ago.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Most newer Airstreams have tge 12v lighter Plug near tge stereo, you can plu in the charger for an iPod there. I have to run to Best Buy in the next day or so to buy a replacement for a stolen radio, I'll look over the selection and see if I can take some pics of their offerings, as well as the stereo removal tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
CanoeStream,

I have only had my trailer for a year and a half and one of the first things I wanted to do was to replace the Sony. I took it in to a local stereo shop and the guy there told me it was fine. He even showed me how to use the remote which, by the way, was very confusing. I tried reading the literature but that is another story.

We do not listen to much music when we camp but do when on longer trips. I picked up a cord at Target ($5.99) that plugs into the iPod and has two leads, one white, the other red, that plug into the jacks on the side in the cabinet.

The sound is great but you need to use the iPod to control things and it does not charge while plugged in. For us, it is fine. I read about the connector here on the forum some time ago.

Dick
Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Most newer Airstreams have the 12v lighter Plug near the stereo, you can plug in the charger for an iPod there. I have to run to Best Buy in the next day or so to buy a replacement for a stolen radio, I'll look over the selection and see if I can take some pics of their offerings, as well as the stereo removal tools.
Terry, have you observed how a number of 12v plugs in Airstreams are so very tight when trying to insert any 12v male plug? Suggestions?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
What your are looking for is DIN removal tools. Crutchfields is a reliable place to purchase tools, radios and get advice. Bear in mind that these tools can be tricky to use at times and that you can also foul-up the release mechanisms on the radio mount if you aren't careful. Once out, measure the opening of the mount and then you can key on what size radio you need.

Crutchfields car stereo installation guide

Crutchfields can also likely help you get the proper connectors so that you can mate up with the existing harness. Might be a bit tricky as it is an Airstream and not a car. Having the correct connectors will make installing and removing (if necessary) the radio much easier than if you directly connect the wires. Just sayin' as I have been there, done that many times for many years.

This tread is a motivation for me to finally get rid of that Audiovox in mine and replace it with a decent (likely) Kenwood or Alpine. As mine is not a standard mount, I need to install a DIN mount in a wood "face" that I can swap out for the existing wood mount. The hard part will be trying to get the wood to match. It is possible I will go with a "double DIN" mount since I have the room. That allows a larger control face for the radio. I'll have to see what is out there.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I think I miss-stated above about the connectors. The new radio would come with a connector that would then be wired into your existing wiring. That in turn would allow you to dis-connect the radio from the wiring harness if need be.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I replaced my AM/FM/Cassette Sony radio in my 2003 CCD right after we got it (Cassette player in 2003 - REALLY???). I think your setup would be the same - the side panel in the overhead storage in mine had velcro holding it in - it just pulled off - later models I know had screws - in any case it was easy to access the radio from behind. The mount box must be removed with the radio out - the tabs that hold it in will not depress into the box with the radio inside (security measure?). Once I removed the radio I pushed the tabs down one at a time and pulled the box out. The new radio came with its own mount box that slid into the opening without issue (one of the few standard industry sized items in the camper). The wiring was labeled with brown packing tape - but atleast it was labeled - the new radio came with an adaptor harness for retrofit to the trailer - standard Sony AM/FM/CD/MP3 player from the electronics box store of your choice. Installation was about 30 minutes.

One side note - the wire harness for the prewired solar was in the same space for my trailer.

If you go to a store that installs I am sure they will do it like a car and ahve all the tools on hand. Some comfort in knowing there are people who do this for a living (mostly 17-21 year olds but hey they do great work... and have all the stuff on hand to do it right with a warranty)
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
I have a 19' Bambi Our new HDTV had a DVD (won it in a raffle) player in it and we didn't have the av upgrade so we fished for the av cables (above the outlets by the bed) and followed them to behind the tv area and hold your breath, cut a hole and installed an outlet in the bookcase behind the tv. Now we have surround sound!
This is perfect, I have actually been asking around for just this information. I too have a 2006 19' CCD. So what I am reading is that there ARE av cables run. One end is in the wall above the outlets by the bed, and I assume the other end is either plugged into the factory Sony or are at least spooled up behind it?

-Smitty
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #19

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman1969

This is perfect, I have actually been asking around for just this information. I too have a 2006 19' CCD. So what I am reading is that there ARE av cables run. One end is in the wall above the outlets by the bed, and I assume the other end is either plugged into the factory Sony or are at least spooled up behind it?

-Smitty
The panel by the stereo comes of pretty easy, 3 screws and then use a suction cup to pull it off and the wires are back thereWe fished for the wires above the top outlet by the bed and found them but they were stuck behind a rib so we bought a wireless fiber optic camera from harbor freight found the wires and figured out where they went. This part was scary but we cut a hole behind the magazine rack pulled the wires through splice them and bought audio connecters and tada we were done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1067162832.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	166631   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1847573653.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	483.8 KB
ID:	166632  

Name:	image-1098574402.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	166633  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Virginia
Thanks blmitch5..... I know what I will be doing this weekend.
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote