Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Got speakers?

Does anyone have suggestions for speakers? I want to put them in the original space above the front gaucho on our 69 Caravel.

Thanks, this site has been a lifesaver so far!
Krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
if they are the round driver type ( the insdie part) Measure the diameter and buy the best replacement you can. The size will probably be 6" or so, and is easy to match. The other consideration is the stereo you are using to play through the speakers. How many watts does it out out? If its the old Motorola type, any modern speakers of good quality will be fine. If it is a newer cd player, you can check the output on the label on it, or in the manual.
I am adding two new spkrs to my 78, the old ones sound ok but can be improved on. Also new covers will look better.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Pioneer speakers

Hi Krista;

On my trailer( 27' 1971 overlander intl ), I've replaced the 70's speakers with new ones for better sound. 4 speakers to change ( 2 front & 2 rears ) and my best quality/price choice was the PIONEER TS-G 1349 5,25" ( 13 cm).
the grips are OK in the old speaker box and the depth too; Just the grill is on the tweeter ( it's a 2 ways speaker ) but the four grips allow that.

i advice you to take an old complete speaker when you'll buy new ones to check diameter;

If you want the best, try Focal speakers but the prices ....

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
My '84 came with a nice collection of Boston speakers. They're all over the place and have great round sound.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Our 2005 Limited came with an upgraded TV/sound system. While I can't tell you the brand of the system or the speakers, what they did was to install round speakers on either side of the couch and a woofer hidden under the front couch. When we sit on the couch and watch a DVD on the flat panel TV, the sound and experience is better than our system at home!

I'd get you more info, but our AS is in storage at the moment.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Crutchfield.com

KHarris,

Go online to www.crutchfield.com. They are a great source for all things to do with car stereo and have a large selection of quality audio speakers at varying price points.

First, measure your cut-out openings for the speakers and this will put you in the right size section as they are available in many size/shape combinations. I have used speakers from Infinity, Boston Acoustics and Polk Audio in past vehicles. All were far superior to the OEM speakers. Don't forget to add a subwoofer if you want a full, theater-like sound quality.

You can also call them as their phone advisors are very helpful and really know their products.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have Boston outdoor speakers at home and love them so may pursue those. The original were Realistic speakers from Radio Shack, 6"! I'm pretty limited on space in the 18' Caravel so size matters.

Thanks again, Krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
i'm looking too--and listen too several today. focal 6x9 speakers sounded incredible--and they run $245 a pair. but they sound good with plenty of bass without a sub. very nice higher end car-audio speakers. cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #9

1969 27' Overlander
Temescal Valley , California
'just curious ... ('have other projects before sound system ahead.)
I recently spent all of $35 on Amazon for the bluetooth-to-wired speakers unit.
10000% happy with this. I opened the grills to see what I had in last-year-purchased 1969 International Overlander.
Speakers looked good, mounting looked substantial in the plywood....
wondering if those were the originals?
They sound 100.00% marvelous
('was in broadcasting for 10-20 years--BUT--not smart enough to be an engineer--did everything else; but after working at major market station with a full time engineer ready to tune up everything from headphones to in-studio monitor speakers...these 2 front speakers sound great. 'wonderin' what I have? Maybe Stradivarious speakers worth what it'd take to own a new AS?
THANKS for all your posts and comments !!--great forum!!
offgrid69int is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
We got some speakers off Amazon. They were best in class based on 3rd party reviews

It seems the ones I got were fake . I contacted Amazon, git my money back, a $50 credit for finding a scam on their site, shut down the fake seller. When I replaced the speakers Amazon asked me to confurm they work

They are Polk audio DB5242 brand with white covers.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote