Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
69 Caravel
1969 18' Caravel
Bayfield , Colorado
Got speakers?

Does anyone have suggestions for speakers? I want to put them in the original space above the front gaucho on our 69 Caravel.

Thanks, this site has been a lifesaver so far!

KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
if they are the round driver type ( the insdie part) Measure the diameter and buy the best replacement you can. The size will probably be 6" or so, and is easy to match. The other consideration is the stereo you are using to play through the speakers. How many watts does it out out? If its the old Motorola type, any modern speakers of good quality will be fine. If it is a newer cd player, you can check the output on the label on it, or in the manual.
I am adding two new spkrs to my 78, the old ones sound ok but can be improved on. Also new covers will look better.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
Pioneer speakers

Hi Krista;

On my trailer( 27' 1971 overlander intl ), I've replaced the 70's speakers with new ones for better sound. 4 speakers to change ( 2 front & 2 rears ) and my best quality/price choice was the PIONEER TS-G 1349 5,25" ( 13 cm).
the grips are OK in the old speaker box and the depth too; Just the grill is on the tweeter ( it's a 2 ways speaker ) but the four grips allow that.

i advice you to take an old complete speaker when you'll buy new ones to check diameter;

If you want the best, try Focal speakers but the prices ....

My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
My '84 came with a nice collection of Boston speakers. They're all over the place and have great round sound.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Our 2005 Limited came with an upgraded TV/sound system. While I can't tell you the brand of the system or the speakers, what they did was to install round speakers on either side of the couch and a woofer hidden under the front couch. When we sit on the couch and watch a DVD on the flat panel TV, the sound and experience is better than our system at home!

I'd get you more info, but our AS is in storage at the moment.
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

Go online to They are a great source for all things to do with car stereo and have a large selection of quality audio speakers at varying price points.

First, measure your cut-out openings for the speakers and this will put you in the right size section as they are available in many size/shape combinations. I have used speakers from Infinity, Boston Acoustics and Polk Audio in past vehicles. All were far superior to the OEM speakers. Don't forget to add a subwoofer if you want a full, theater-like sound quality.

You can also call them as their phone advisors are very helpful and really know their products.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
69 Caravel
1969 18' Caravel
Bayfield , Colorado
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have Boston outdoor speakers at home and love them so may pursue those. The original were Realistic speakers from Radio Shack, 6"! I'm pretty limited on space in the 18' Caravel so size matters.

Thanks again, Krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
i'm looking too--and listen too several today. focal 6x9 speakers sounded incredible--and they run $245 a pair. but they sound good with plenty of bass without a sub. very nice higher end car-audio speakers. cheers--ted

the544man is offline   Reply With Quote