Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
Front Projection Video

Hi folks, I spend alot of time in my 28SO, and I'm thinking about changing out my little Sony LCD into something bigger. I know it sounds nuts, but I'm thinking about a front-projection unit, with a simple pulldown window shade as a start for the screen. There are units out there that even have an integrated DVD player, and I thought it might be cool to occasionally bring outside for "drive-in movie night".

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm especially concerned about image size vs distance from the screen (probably 8' of distance but no more than 30" of horizontal width).

Thanks!
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Absolutly a great idea.
Toying with simular setup hanging from ceiling.
We tryed an old 8mm screen and were shocked at how bright it was.
This is outside with the projector sitting on top a cooler.
Thinking if projector left inside, could shoot thru window onto backside of sheet by reversing image.
Then less cable issues...just swing back for inside viewing.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We are in the process of purchasing a good projector for sharing Rally photos and movie nights at our rallies but once inside our AS we like it cozy. We do use or 17" LCD for news when available or maybe a movie when alone in bad weather. But I think that is far as we will take it. If we wanted to be blown away while watching a movie we could just stay home. Camping is still camping for us even with the AS. Happy Holidays!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

For small groups the rear projection on the front window's perfect. if your using a letterbox dvd the width to height is perfect. we use a sharp projector and reverse the image setting. a set of computer speakers with bass unit give great audio. it's all driven from a Mac laptop.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
Thanks for the Input! Now of course I have to figure out how to do it.

In the 28SO I have some overhead cabinets along the "bow", so I was thinking about putting the projector inside the cabinet and just opening it when I'm using it.

Then I'd get a pull shade and somehow mount it from the ceiling a ways back - though I'm not sure if there's much in the ceiling to mount something to.

I still have to work out how to keep the image size from getting too big (8' of distance creates like a 50" image) and I'll probably have to keep the bottom of the shade stabilized so that my hurricane (sound and wind) of an air conditioner doesn't blow it all over the place. I know that you can get a "zoom" lens for some projectors - usually used to put the projector at the back of a conference room instead of having it in your face in the middle of a conference table.

What's the ceiling like? Is there something up there to mount a pullshade to?
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Twentynine Palms , California
"What's the ceiling like? Is there something up there to mount a pullshade to?[/QUOTE]

I know this was posted years ago but I am wondering if you ever figured how to mount the screen to the ceiling>
deserthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
sunnyvale , California
I'm running around with the EXACT SAME IDEA in my head. I want to have a projector in the bow cabinet that projects back to the galley area of my 31'. Then take it outside for the kiddos to watch there at night by a fire (let's leave the practical issue of fire, lumens and movie watching reality aside for the moment).

There's these micro projectors available, but they struggle with lumens and don't have adjustable screen size so getting the distance ratios down is kinda important if you go that route. Some like the ZTE and miroir are integrated with Android so built in linking to YouTube, etc. and that's kinda nice.

Micro (Pico)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zte-spro...?skuId=4569600

Standard
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-ho...?skuId=4336102

Both offer wireless linking to your phone or tablet, but i'm trying to figure out what to do with the audio portion. I can go full wireless speaker unit, but just don't understand how to link the content source (phone, macmini, etc) to both the projector and receiver while managing size. I can do the portability.
lesnlearned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I have been doing outdoor video since about 2001. I started out with Sony CRT projectors and finally graduated to DLP with about 1200 lumins. Today you can do much better, but I am sticking to my 10 year old Mitsubishi HD1000 unit because I ruggedized it to use outdoors.
I have had various configurations involving front and rear screens, using the projector hanging from a 18x20 carport canopy for stage performances and on the ground for smaller gatherings.
I have tried projecting from inside the motorhome, but reflections off windows and angles were always a problem. The throw of my projector was not very good for a decent sized image with a screen at the end of the awning.

I have simplified my setup using a 10x10 popup canopy with a stretchy screen tied to one side with bungees that works for front and rear projection at the same time. Unless there is text, nobody notices.

I put the projector on a milk crate under a table under my awning to keep it out of the weather. The HDMI cable runs through the window to a video splitter from the Oykyo AV receiver and inside TV.
I have stereo outdoor speakers wired from the AV system on long enough extensions to reach the sides of the screen.

What I dont have is a good photo of my setup, but this one from FB shows the 10x10 popup at the rear of the MH, the screen is swung up for daytime use of the popup. The projector is under the pile of tarps to the rear of the entry door. The speakers have been moved to the arms of my awning.

When I go all out I bring a 10' diagonal outdoor screen and pro speakers with over 1000 watts of power.
My fans like my Pink Floyd Darkside of the Moon and Wizard Of Oz mix out in the middle of the woods.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I finally found one photo of my screen on the popup canopy. It is a picture our little guy Sam took with his Kindle Fire of the local dog Zappy, the screen is in the background. Next time I set it up, I will get some proper photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenOnPopup.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	280851  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
sunnyvale , California
Thanks for your breakdown and the images Wayne! This gives me great ideas. By doing the rear screen projection, I limit the run on wires, nothing is in the way for the kiddos and protect the projector from any weather or tripping accidents, etc.

What is the screen material? And I didn't quite get the issue with it when words were in the video?
lesnlearned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnlearned View Post
What is the screen material? And I didn't quite get the issue with it when words were in the video?
I had that screen custom made years ago, you can find them online if you look up "DJ SCREEN, FRONT/REAR PROJECTOR SCREEN" you will find something suitable.
Try and get one with enough grommets around the edges for your setup.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Ah the joys of a painted Argosy. We just project right to side of the trailer. We get about a 50" screen size above the belt line and to just the start of the roof curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1488741222223.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	280872  
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote