Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Flat Screen TV wall mounting bracket

What is the size/ weight of your TV?

What do you use for a mounting bracket?

What steps do you take to secure the TV for travel?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
TV Size

Well the TV is a 19" combo DVD player. I bought a TV bracket from Walmart for about $25.00 and it swings out about 18" for viewing. I secure it to the bracket for travel with a velcro strap. Works great.
Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
What you need to consider is where is the tv going. If in the back behind the wheels, you need a tv that weighs very little. If towards the front, a heavier one is ok. I have a 12 volt one in the back that weighs about 10 lbs. that is both a tv and dvd. It is a 22" one. The front one is a 23" one that weighs about 25 lbs. and is also a tv and dvd. Both wall brackets are the same with good size screws and washers that go thru the wall for securing it. The front one I also use a strap to secure it when traveling. The back one is so light that it stays secure with no holding strap. The hinge part on the back tv I tightened up so there is no movement.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
What is the size/ weight of your TV?

What do you use for a mounting bracket?

What steps do you take to secure the TV for travel?

Inquiring minds want to know
I have the factory one which is maybe 18" or so. I don't know how much it weighs, average I guess.

I have remounted it with a low-profile fixed mount which is much more secure than the articulating arm mount that Airstream used. Because it's fixed, I don't have to do anything to secure the TV for travel.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
FYI, I replaced the BR Samsung that I'd ordered in my new Intl. I hated it. If you used the remote control for the front TV it usually activated the rear tv as well. And, they have this "special" link-up so if you put in a DVD it automatically works on the BR TV, and some remote control functions work, but not all. A total PITA. I bought a $149 Vizio at Costco in Phoenix yesterday and installed it. Fits the bracket perfectly. It's a 1080P also, and does not conflict with the front set.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I bought a $149 Vizio... and installed it. Fits the bracket perfectly.
Great choice - I did practically the same thing, same price, just today! The factory-supplied 15 inch Toshiba 15DVL77B (with built-in DVD player) was the old square 4:3 screen format, making the letterboxed picture size even tinier than normal when showing 16:9 HD programs. Plus, it was significantly heavier, used more power, and wasn't fully compliant with the newest digital over-the-air standards. And we almost never played a DVD with it, hooking it up to a laptop instead.

Flatscreens have gotten larger, more power efficient, and cheaper in just five years. The new 19 inch Insignia (Best Buy brand) NS-19E310A13 bolted right in to the existing swivel mount, weighs two pounds less, and has much better picture quality. Plus it has two HDMI ports, so we can easily connect more than one video device/computer. Plus it already runs on 12V, connecting to shore power with the included 120V power brick.

A worthwhile upgrade.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Just upgraded my TV in my 2005 Safari SE to a 29" Samsung UN29F4000 using a Mor/Ryde TV1-021 mount. The mount is fastened to the wall between the fridge and dinette using 8 1/4" lag screws. The OEM mount was screwed to the same wall with #8 screws. The new TV is lighter than the original but the mount is much more robust and weighs a few pounds more.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #8

KNOXVILLE , Tennessee
Have a 2008 safari se. want to mount a small tv in bedroom wall next to shower.
wonder what length screws is needed as do not want to get in the shower wall.
any idea's on this. The tv will be probably a 19 inch.
tuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate's rear television is a Visio 22" TV/DVD Combo on a swivel arm wall-mounted to the side of a cabinet (unknown make/model for the base). But the TV is only 480i. I'm preparing to replace it with a Sansui Accu SLED226 high-def TV/DVD Combo in glorious 1080p.

Total shipping weight of the TV is only 16 pounds, and that includes the packaging and the pedestal base that I won't be needing, so I'd estimate the weight of the screen itself somewhere between 10~12 pounds. About the same weight as the one I've got, so I'll be reusing the same swivel arm to mount it.

Only thing is, because the existing television's weight distribution is asymmetrical, the screen seems to always tilt down toward the side with the DVD player. I'll probably stick a small weight to the back of the new TV with Velcro to rebalance it so the screen remains level, which should bump up the total weight by maybe ½ pound (or less).

I'll also be looking for a good-quality external Blu-Ray drive that I can use with either the new television or my laptop (which also only has a built-in DVD drive, not Blu-Ray).
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Other options?

Has anyone mounted a flat screen in an unconventional place, i.e., not on the dinette/bedroom/shower/bath wall? Is there an exterior wall option? My imagination is not working today...

Thanks,

Philip
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
Has anyone mounted a flat screen in an unconventional place, i.e., not on the dinette/bedroom/shower/bath wall? Is there an exterior wall option? My imagination is not working today...
Here's an idea you might play with… I haven't seen it in a trailer, but I have seen it in a Nordic Tugs 39-foot motor yacht. A ceiling mount, where the flat-screen television folds up flat against the ceiling when not in use, and swings down when you want to watch. Basically, build a box to hold the TV, and mount the box to the ceiling (most likely to the trailer ribs). Here's a photo…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nt39_salon1_img.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	190637  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
No flat ceiling space where I would mount it...

[… I haven't seen it in a trailer, but I have seen it in a Nordic Tugs 39-foot motor yacht.[/QUOTE]

Interesting concept. I'll have to do some doodling. Biggest problem that I can see is there is no flat ceiling space in my 34'. Thanks for the idea, anyway!

Philip
Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
[… I haven't seen it in a trailer, but I have seen it in a Nordic Tugs 39-foot motor yacht.
Interesting concept. I'll have to do some doodling. Biggest problem that I can see is there is no flat ceiling space in my 34'. Thanks for the idea, anyway!

Philip[/QUOTE]

Make the box with sides and a hinged bottom, and either no top or a thin plywood top that will bend to fit the curve. And shape the upper edges of the sides to match the trailer's curve; the only edges that have to be straight ahd level are on bottom, where the hinged bottom closes up.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Bought a 32 Inch Vizio with builtin WIFi and bluetooth.Kept the foam corners from the shipping box when in route I have them installed along with two straps to keep it tight against the wall.When I stop I remove the foam corners and store in my dinette cubbies.Works great.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote