Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
flat screen tv

I bought a flat screen TV for my trailer. What kind of antenna set up will work? I have tried 2 and they don't seem to work very well one was a HDTV antenna here are some photos of what I have in and outside the trailer. Really don't want to string a lot of wires and cords inside but wonder if this set up might have worked at one time any ideas would help.
thanks Judy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	61896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	61897  

Name:	IMG_1243_2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	61898  
Old 06-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Wow!

Hi Judy,

What a beautiful trailer! Inside and out!

You don’t need anything special for HDTV, any functioning TV antenna will work. Both of mine have the old Braund Skyliner crank-ups. Works perfectly for HDTV.

I am not familiar with that external antenna, though. Perhaps a member familiar with it can chime in. I just wanted to tell you that there is nothing special required about the antenna. The antenna doesn’t care whether the signal it is getting is analog or digital. It can’t tell the difference.

I remember back in the ’60s, antenna makers were selling people new antennas for color. Same thing here.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The old original antenna on our '65 Caravel works just fine for our HDTV. Any antenna that works for UHF channels will work for digital.

However, you must be in an area where digital is being broadcast. Also, it's not like analog where you can pick up a pretty good but fuzzy signal and watch it. For the most part with digital, you get it or you don't.

We have been enjoying ours for a year and a half now.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Barde View Post
I bought a flat screen TV for my trailer. What kind of antenna set up will work? I have tried 2 and they don't seem to work very well one was a HDTV antenna here are some photos of what I have in and outside the trailer. Really don't want to string a lot of wires and cords inside but wonder if this set up might have worked at one time any ideas would help.
thanks Judy
The flat wires that were commonly used in that era will have to be replaced or "converted" to coax using a balun.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
Flat screen TV

Thanks everyone you always come through. The forums and everyone has been invaluable to me during my 2 years of redoing my trailer. Did it all with hand tools and was going to rearrange it. But thanks to the forums I labeled and put things back the same way they were designed PERFECT. We will be taking our first trip in 2 weeks. The 79.00 antenna goes back.
Judy
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Were you trying to use the antenna you bought inside the trailer? If so, it won't work.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Judy,

Once again, Michelle is exactly on point. Converting to coax will be necessary and is so vastly superior to the flatline, pun intended, that I did it to my Trade Wind back in the ’80s. The Excella was that way when I got it last year, though it converted back to flatline at the wall outlet. Easy to fix, just drilled a whole and used a coax connector from a wall plate. The balun and coax are available at the big hardware stores. I think Wal*Mart has them too. Use the old flatline to pull the new coax through.

Definitely get your money back on that “HDTV antenna”! You can use it on your first trip. Keep us posted. How about more pictures of your beautiful Airstream? Your work looks excellent.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
The antenna on our Caravel has an old style antenna at the top which folds for travel. I don't see that on yours.

Why? Where is your antenna? What does it look like?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1133001640.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	61943  
Old 06-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
The antenna on our Caravel has an old style antenna at the top which folds for travel. I don't see that on yours.

Why? Where is your antenna? What does it look like?
It's there. The older units had the antenna on the curbside front, by the front window. Our '63 had the same antenna as the one pictured.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It's there. The older units had the antenna on the curbside front, by the front window. Our '63 had the same antenna as the one pictured.
I can see the post, just can't see the antenna. Perhaps it's lost in the trees in the background.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
I just captured the photo. Blew it up, and I see no antenna hidden in the trees.

Sorry folks, all I see is just a post to hold the antenna.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
I just captured the photo. Blew it up, and I see no antenna hidden in the trees.

Sorry folks, all I see is just a post to hold the antenna.
Jim, I think you're right. I saw the base, and assumed the rest of the antenna was as it should be. I think we've found the reason why no signals can be picked up by the antenna, all that's there is the stump of the antenna.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Jim, I think you're right. I saw the base, and assumed the rest of the antenna was as it should be. I think we've found the reason why no signals can be picked up by the antenna, all that's there is the stump of the antenna.
I have to agree. At first I thought that the antenna was hidden by the trees, till I looked closer.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
flat screen tv.

You all are right I only have the post for the ant. It looks as if the inside black compas turns the post. I will save the info you all sent and that will be my project when we return. Have a DVD player so that will have to do this trip. first time ever with a trailer so am sure I will learn a lot along the road. I took out the water tank, furnace, and cook stove, but have added to large plastic water bottles I also have NO gray water tank so no full hooks ups the traler becomes a tent. Have propane stove and lots of led lights. My daughter got a late start making resverations so the only place we have full hook ups is taos. From there this will be a MO long adventure. Nothing is perfect the first time. Thanks everyone
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
Thanks I also found the list from Maurice and followed it pretty much. Still haven't purchased the hose thief. This started 2 years ago when I hauled this AS home from GA. to KS. My dream has been to own an AS and my daughter has always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon. I have spent many hours reading the forums and so many great people have answered my quest for HELP. Even though I can't put faces to the people I remember my contacts with them and have a lot of respect and graduate for their responses. I feel that with all the unrest in the world that the individual person is still good,willing to help and very resourceful and giving. I don't know if anyone has heard the song WHEN I'M 65. Well I will sing this song when we start off on our adventure. I am sure there are many that would ask me what did you do to that historic trailer. It is not a restoration it is an up date. It turned out pretty much like my vision. My first degree is art so visual is important and function is a bonus. My 2nd is Nursing so can think on my feet multi task and take on a situation pretty well head on. I am getting anxious about this first trip but thanks to every one I know I will be well prepared and learn a lot Who knows I may run into some of you on this trip. It is a small world. I don't know where to post photos on the forums let me know and I will do so. Thanks everyone. I did update the car it is a Chevy Suburban The Toyota just didn't seem safe. Thanks for the concern. Still looking for full hook ups after the grand canyon and our way back to KS. We do have an internet card and GPS so can reroute anytime along the way if anyone has suggestions let me know we waited to long and things are pretty booked.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
A.S. Photos

I was reading some of my old posts and realized I never posted photos of the finished project. Here are some photos
Judy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	112790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	112791  

Name:	IMG_1516.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	112792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	112793  

Old 10-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Absolutely beautiful!

I like the red and black there both inside and out. Looks good with the Suburban, too. I have enough hours for a Studio Art minor, myself, but when you get a business degree at UALR they don't list minors.

I looked in the first photo but couldn't tell, did you ever find the parts to complete your antenna? That crank mechanism on the front wall is great. Looks like it belongs on a ship.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Fantastic job on the trailer!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
Thanks everyone. I never did anything about the antenia. With CD iPhone and computer plus a lot of camp sites have cable hook up. I may get it going if something comes along that I understand and can do.