Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have read all of the posts in this thread. It's amazing how much has changed in 2 years. Just in the past few months the changes are dramatic especially with analog going bye bye soon. So the time is 'now' for Lynn and I. We wish to get an LCD HDTV for our coach that will also be useable in our home bedroom. 22" set will work in both places, however, we have to consider the 12 volt needs in the coach. Our old (22 yr old) set which burned up at our last Rally (fortunately Lynn needed to retrieve a pot luck item and discovered the TV smoking) was handy as it could be used in a 12v boondocking RV or with 110 power source. Before I quiz a Best Buy/Circuit City geek I would like to ask the experts or experienced Airstream Forum members. What works for you in power hook-ups and boondocking. I need curent solutions....like as now when you read this.

Thanks,
Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ikea and Audiovox make portable flat panel TV/ DVD that work on 110 or 12v.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #73
Rivet Master

I've long been searching for a flat screen LCD TV with a built-in DVD player on the left side, so that it will fit onto the wall by the refrigerator in our Excella. I've just fitted an Emerson LD200EM8 20" Digital/Analogue LCD TV which satisfies this requirement. Wal-Mart for $388. It sits on its stand on the credenza, and is also bolted to the wall using a basic $20 fixed flat bracket. I had to pull the refrigerator forward to attach the penny washers and locknuts to the bolts. We do not need it to swivel. There is no need for any strap while travelling. If I wanted to boondock and view the TV I would use an inverter. We are very pleased with this system.
Nick.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
I've long been searching for a flat screen LCD TV with a built-in DVD player on the left side, so that it will fit onto the wall by the refrigerator in our Excella. I've just fitted an Emerson LD200EM8 20" Digital/Analogue LCD TV which satisfies this requirement. Wal-Mart for $388. It sits on its stand on the credenza, and is also bolted to the wall using a basic $20 fixed flat bracket. I had to pull the refrigerator forward to attach the penny washers and locknuts to the bolts. We do not need it to swivel. There is no need for any strap while travelling. If I wanted to boondock and view the TV I would use an inverter. We are very pleased with this system.
Nick.
Thank you Nick. We will check out the Emerson. I had forgotten about our need (want [wife and grandsons]) for a DVD player. Good suggestion.

Summer's in England! Nice! Lovely country.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
I put a 26" Sharp wide screen flat panel lcd/dvd combo (manuf #LC-26DV24U) in my 2004 28ft international CCD. I modified the pull down tray in the wall of the bedroom to accomodate a reinforced bracket I bought from Home Depot. I made a retaining bracket with an insert pin to stow it flat against the wall when in transport. It's been on the move with me for at least 8 months without incident. The bracket has shown some signs of a little torque/fatigue. I may have to modify it again at some point. I thought I had a pic of it. I'll look for it again later and try to post it. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
I need curent solutions....like as now when you read this.

Thanks,
Neil
Google JE1908. Runs off 110 AC or 12 Volt DC. Will display at 1080P, 720P, or 480P and has an HD TV tuner built in . ..
Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Sony 19" LCD

I'm also upgrading the tube TV we have in our 34'. We each have own Apple laptops if we need to watch a DVD movie and have considered the Elgato TV tuner option.

But I believe we will buy the newest Sony 19" LCD. I just think Sony makes the best TVs and will not settle for anything else.

19" BRAVIAŽ M Series LCD Flat Panel HDTV - Silver

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #78
_

. , .
hi duane

hey there is that picture!

i knew it was here somewhere...

agree on going sony, i've like the 'look' of their monitors for 30 years (especially the xbr line)

that price is 1/2 what i paid 2 years ago...

on nice thing about 19s is power consumption.

about 85-95 watts and only 65 w or so, with the 'power saver' engaged.

i use it boondocking with a simple 140 watt inverter and can view several hours without much battery drain...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Btw, another reason I'm considering Sony is that you can order from Sony's website and get 18 months interest free. Of course I have the money now but hey if I can use OPM for free why not.

Best Buy is also offering the same financing but they don't have the new Sony models in stock yet. Sony says the new models started shipping this week if you ordered online.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #80
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
The only real problem with the smaller Sony's is that they are only 720P.........makes a real difference and not getting what you are paying for.......look for at least 1024P.............Just my 2cents.........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
1080p versus 720p in a trailer is a worthless argument. You'll never see the difference. 720p units can be more cost effective, but go with the unit with the best cost for the size you want.

FWIW, my new Samsung 23' has an energy savings mode. When enabled, it takes the wattage of the unit down from about 90 watts to 43 watts which is perfect for some boondocking TV watching. The PQ is great in SD or HD and I think it looks better than the Sony Bravia.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #82
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Surely not to argue Westfalia; but it would seem the more lines of resolution that are viewable at a closer field of view as in a trailer would give a better viewing experience........

I suppose it is up to the viewer and most importantly the consumer. Just a few years ago many folks could not tell when a VHS tape had been copied and the generation effect that was totally visible to many. On the other hand, many foks can tell the difference between 720 and 1080.
Lean forward as you read this really focus on the tiny dots that make up the picture. Yes, they are tiny, and the more of them one has by being even more concentrated per viewing inch, the sharper the picture. This is especially evident when viewed from a closer distance as in 6 to 10 feet away or closer. Lines, color contrasts, and even focus are clearly obvious.

Right now, I am still waiting for as long as possible before replacing my 27' LCD that we are currently using in the mobil studio/home. We use this for our "location" and client monitor for video production on location. It's light and portable and fits in many locations. Yes, it is 1080, has many types of inputs, and in fact is actually a monitor for HD editing, the computer or as stated above client previews. Yes, it still does the job; but the newer stuff is even better. For "production work" that is what matters.

In the bedroom we use the good ol box that is several years old. In the coming months and especially into next year the even newer technology will continue to blossom as the prices continue to spiral downward.
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Issue is, without an inverter or some other 110 power source, the Sony's not boondocking material.

I for one don't want to have the sound portion of the multimedia experience messed up with the noise of a generator running in the background. And I'm not willing to go to the expense of buying and installing an inverter just so I can have "Sony".
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
DKDarrow, obviously you are learned in the way of HD, but in the size factors that these folks are looking at and IMHO, 1080i/p will not be an advantage for average trailer viewing. 19, 23, 25 or maybe even 27 inch displays don't really benefit from the extra resolution, even when viewed close. Anything larger than 27 and yes, the advantages of 1080i/p can become obvious when viewed in the right setting. As I see it, most of the trailer type are not running an HD source besides an occasional HD OTA signal and sometimes satellite, and for both of those 720p is more than adequate. Even fewer are going to have a BluRay/HD-DVD source for disc based playback. Standard DVD's? As I'm sure you know, 1080p displays do a pretty poor job of upconverting 480i/p material. There is just not enough resolution in the source material to make it look good without a LOT of expensive post processing, which you aren't going to have in a trailer. 720p does a MUCH better job of up converting from 480i/p. My 23' Samsung is displaying the 480i signal output from my Sony DVD car stereo that was installed from the factory. It looks 'good enough' for trailer use. I'd never put up with it in my house, especially on my 96" LCD front projector. That system gets the full processing treatment and the best source material I can throw at it.

For Spiffy Gem, exactly, high wattage and an inverter is a battery killer for boon docking. I have yet to boondock with my setup, but I expect it to perform fairly well at only 43 watts inverted. It has run in the driveway with for hours with little battery effect.