Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I think a 15" would be ok in the bedroom but it would drive me crazy trying to watch it in the lounge. Is there anyone out there who has a 24"+ flat panel? In my 30 I have a cabinet behind the dinette where a TV could go, I thought of a setup where you could mount a pole between the upper and lower cabinet, mount a 26" panel on the pole and be able to swivel the TV towards the lounge or galley. Doesn't anyone else think a 15" TV is too small?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #42
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
Doesn't anyone else think a 15" TV is too small?
hi basecamp and others.....15 is ok for 1-2 sets of eyes. more people means further back or greater angles and small lcds can suffer then...

i've usually just carry my 15" laptop.....works great to watch a movie and even while boondocking most 2 hour flicks are fine.

finally opted for an lcd tv......to catch weather reports when traveling.

like jack, mine rides unplugged wrapped in towel, face up. considered the bed but since the rear is more bouncy....mine rides on the sofa, in the corner/arm spot.

i've toyed with the idea of a putting it inside the credenza on a bracket that would rise up through a slot in the wooden surface...

here is a picture of the 19 sony on the credenza....this really is plenty large. not sure i'd want 24; even in the 34, 19 is plenty. i'm not using the wall mount yet....24 would be pushing it for weight though.

lcd tv aren't light weight or cheap. a higher quality 19 may be a better value than a larger set with lower resolution.

i just upgrade the home set to hd lcd projection set.....these are amazing. great image, very thin box and much lighter than the same size full lcd screen. also much less expensive than a full lcd screen or plasma of the same size..... if really wanting big in the trailer this would be a great option.

cheers
2air
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony 19 lcd tv.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	20858  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Sony 23" LCD - Model# KLVS23A10

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
I think a 15" would be ok in the bedroom but it would drive me crazy trying to watch it in the lounge. Is there anyone out there who has a 24"+ flat panel
I have a Sony 23" LCD (model# KLVS23A10) in my 25' Classic. Tried a 26" first but that was WAY too BIG!!!!! The 23" is pushing it. If I had to do it over again........well don't know if I'd go smaller because I love the screen size but aesthetically it might look more appealling.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #44
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I use my laptop. It has an exceptionally large screen (17"or so) and the DVD player built in. For TV I bought an external tuner card that attaches to the coaxial from the antenna.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Wow! Things have sure changed since this thread started. I wound up with a Dell Inspiron 8600, 2GHz Pentium M, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, dual-layer DVD burner, 128MB ATI 7600 Pro Turbo video, and 15.4" 1920 x 1200 resolution screen.

I feed that with a FusionHDTV USB Gold ATSC/NTSC tuner, which can also receive unencrypted QAM cable. I bought this in spite of reports it draws right at the maximum power from the USB port and that the included software is crap, because I thought I would want NTSC. Sure enough, the 8600 shut down it's USB port about half the time, so I got a powered USB hub for it. It's NTSC tuner also isn't that great, but once I started viewing ATSC digital TV, I took all the NTSC stations out of the line-up. The software I'm using with it is BeyondTV4, and it's excellent. The SnapStream.net guide is better than TitanTV.

Recording 720p and 1080i over the air is easy, but takes about 9GB per hour. Where it gets intense is viewing live TV (and you're recording at the same time for PVR functions like pause/fast forward). I reboot before doing so to clean up memory and the processor runs 55-80%, depending on motion, with 1080i. 720p is a little lower.

The only problem with doing this is the heat. If I prop the notebook up a little it helps, but if it gets too hot (and the fan is on a higher speed), the Pentium M starts scaling back its speed, so processor utilization goes WAY up, to 100% a few times.

For DVD viewing, I use a program called TheaterTek, which comes with some PureVideo drivers that will also work with other programs, like BeyondTV. It makes low-definition DVDs almost as good as HDTV (and WAY better than the typical PowerDVD), and I got the advanced audio pack which supports Dolby headphone.

It's pretty awesome watching 1080i shows with the notebook in my lap and the headphones on. On a table 4' in front of the two of us, it's also sharp, but we'd like something a lot larger for a 4' viewing distance, like a Dell 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor.

However... now that Apple has met me half-way with Intel powered computers and "Boot-Camp", so I can have Windows XP when I need it, and now that the processors in their lower end computers are finally fast enough to keep up with HDTV, I've decided to give them another chance (I owned Macs for about 10 years, 10 years ago). I've ordered the smallest, bare minimum cpu that can reportedly view 1080 without dropping frames, under OS-X or XP, the 1.67 GHz Intel Core-Duo Mac Mini with 2GB RAM, 120GB 5400 rpm hard drive, dual-layer burner, and wireless keyboard and mouse. This will feed a 23" Apple Cinema Display and a pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers (no subwoofer).

There are some downsides to the Apple route. One is that the 1.67 Core-Duo isn't quite as fast as the 2.0GHz Pentium M, and it uses shared memory for the video (which makes it slower than the G4 mini on some intense games) but most of the reports I've read say it's just enough. Apple's DVD Player software has a pretty poor reputation for image quality, even amongst Mac-evangelizing AV hobbyists, but I can always boot XP and use TheaterTek, if it is that bad. Another downside is that my existing ATSC tuner won't work with OS-X. Will have to buy an EyeTV 500 for that, but can use XP in the meantime. Apple's Front Row software is neat, but it doesn't support TV viewing/PVR and won't play DVDs (in .vob format) ripped to a hard drive. There's a freeware application called Media Central that will do that though, and I have Windows applications that can do it.

So that's what we're doing with TV these days. No more analog here. Nothing less than a 1080 progressively scanned display. I think for a Windows based ATSC tuner, I couldn't recommend the Fusion, but instead the vBox, which has a better reputation, but no NTSC capability.

Oh yeah... I found another use for my Y2K countdown clock at work... I programmed it with the February 17th, 2009 date for shutdown of analog TV. It was end of 2006, but with electronics manufacturers dragging their feet, the FCC had to finally put their foot down.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #46
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
When we bought our AS it came with a 15" LCD tv that rides wrapped in a heavy towel in the bottom of our closet when we are moving. When we are parked it sets on the credenza at the end of the dinette on a DVD player. We stuck the DVD player to the credenza with "RV boogers" so it rides there all the time. So far, lots of miles with no problems.

We wanted an LCD tv in the bedroom but I didn't want to flatten my wallet in the process. I went to Wally World and paid $248 for a 14" magnavox LCD tv. The tv runs on 12v through a 120v cord with an inline inverter. I then went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v accessory plug with an adapter (paying attention to the polarity, of course!) to fit the power input of the tv.($9) I then made two "u" shaped brackets out of 1/4" mild spring steel and attached them to the back of the tv. The brackets fit over the top of the mirror. Both the antenna connection and the 12v accessory plug-in are right next to the mirror. The tv is removed while we're on the road and rides wrapped in a heavy towel in a drawer under the bed. The total cost on the new tv and all hookups was around$270. Works like a charm with what seems to be minimal draw on the batteries when we're not hooked up to 120v.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #47
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We bought a 15" Sylvania flat panel LCD, and at the same time, we bought a Daewoo DVD player. The player is 2.5" tall, and was $29. If you want one unit, I saw a 15" flat panel tv with a built-in DVD player, for about $100 more than the TV and stand-alone DVD player.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Most television stations are also transmitting a digital signal as well, on another channel. Channel 5 here in Gainesville, Florida, is transmitting digital and HD on channel 36 for example. I just purchased an HD DirecTV receiver, that also had a terrestrial DTV/HDTV tuner in it. It has RCA Vid/audio jacks, digital video and S-Video, which may go into some computer LCD monitors, as well as those with a analog inputs. Terrestrial HD/DTV rocks! I get much better reception on the digital channels. This may be a real boon to those camping in the boondocks looking for local television channels.
I realize that this may go WAY over the heads of some here, so please disregard this question if you don't know what I'm talking about.

On the subject of DTV/HDTV, most LCD units under 26" or so don't usually include a QAM/8VSB (HDTV cable/over the air) terrestrial tuner that is built-in to unit. This is important because all standard broadcast TV (NTSC) will be turned off in a few years in favor of the newer HDTV (ATSC). I hate to pour money into a nice TV that you won't be able to receive any broadcast TV in a few years.

Has anyone come across a relatively small or inexpensive tuner that might fit well in a trailer?
First thought is to use the laptop (Mac Powerbook) and get an EyeTV 500 and output 720p to to the TV by DVI input. The problem with this solution is the obvious extra collection of hardware to do this task. It is also a Mac only solution. I'm sure someone makes a similar system for the PC.

Another option was outlined by Pick above and could be the use of a DirectTV/Dish HD tuner that supports OTA (over the air) reception of HDTV and pushes it (along with the satellite signal ) to the TV by DVI or component. The downside of this is primarily how easily it is for the satellite tuner to recognize new signals in a new campsite location and display that channels available. Also, such receivers are a little expensive right now. I have never heard of any reports of these tuners being used in a mobile fashion.

Lastly is the use of a car based DIN sized system. I haven't seen any these car based tuners that can receive HDTV. Most being sold new are still only setup to receive standard NTSC TV. Preferably, I'd like to go this route and get a car based systems (Clarion, Alpine, Pioneer) for use on 12V and space saving properties and for integration of all of the components. Car based systems have really come a long ways.

Any ideas? I figure that someone out there might figure out what I just said!

Ultimately, that true answer might lie and just waiting the the transition to DTV to happen. After that time, the converter tuner boxes might just be affordable for many.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Moe answered some of my questions while I was composing my post, but I'll leave them in.

Moe, I have yet to use the Intel MacMini (I have the G4 version), but I was contemplating its use to feed my 50" Sony LCD RPTV in the house, and to stream DVD's that I have ripped on my XP box I have in the home theater, also using TheaterTek. However, I decided to get an OPPO 971H upscaling DVD player with DVI output, and the results are fantastic and it only cost $200. The OPPO is very thin but still standard player size, but could work well for larger Airstreams with a bit more storage space. The Mini would be a GREAT computer for the trailer if I traveled more. The DVD output is certainly not videophile quality, but should be adequate for playback at 720p resolutions (usually 1280x720 in computer resolutions) that most LCD TVs use. It does, however fall short at 1080p resolutions.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Two of them...

We have two Toshibas, a 17" in the salon and a 15" in the bedroom. Each of them has a built-in DVD player. I installed them on wall-mount articulating arms.

For safety of travel, my quilter-mother created quilted bags that fit snugly over the TVs. Each has loops along the top which attach onto hooks I mounted on the wall. The quilt-covers nicely match our bed quilt, which is sort of cool.

Pictures to follow.

Tom, and Frank

2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:07 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
For any 12v electronics, you may want to consider looking in truck stops Like TA, Pilot and Petro. Petro and TA tend to have the largest selections and competitve prices. I can't believe what Best Buy wantes for a 150 watt inverter for example. It was over twice what the truck stop charges. Commercial trucks have 12v systems ( I have a 3000 watt inverter in mine), so the banging around will not hurt the TV. Just have it secured well.
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #52
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker
Commercial trucks have 12v systems ( I have a 3000 watt inverter in mine), so the banging around will not hurt the TV. Just have it secured well.
Do you have anything to play movies when you can't get a TV signal? DVD? Or VCR? And have you had any problems with that part of the setup? Moving parts seem not to fare as well as non-moving parts when they get subjected to a lot of vibration.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
I'm looking for a cheap 12v TV/DVD combo for mine. Screen need not be large.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

TV travels well

I bought a 27" Sharp LCD TV and installed it with a swivel wall mount. Since then I've traveled from Seattle to New Mexico and it works fine. It never crossed my mind that vibrations would harm the electronics, and so far it hasn't. I have a 22' International AS and attached the TV bracket to the closet. I used two 5/16" bolts and used a small lengths of shelf support standard on the inside of the closet. The TV is very secure after months of use and travel. While traveling I put a pillow over the TV and secure it with nylon webbing to the curtain track and this has worked very well with no problems so far.

Hope this helps.

Bill
billwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We have a sharp 15" we have used in our trailer since 2005, Annie got it for her retirement gift. It has worked great. We just turn it upside down on the bed when traveling.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Thumbs up 20" Vizio

I installed a 20" Vizio from Costco, hung with a swinging wall bracket from the botton of a shelf which extends across the front of our 17' Caravel. We made a sling from 1" webbing material to help support the TV when on the road. The TV is 120 volt. It has both digital and analog tuners allowing us to watch High Definition over the air broadcast where available, as well as analog over the air and Dish.

I installed a 350 watt pure sign wave inverter from Fry's. We use Dish network and have a GoVideo DVD/VHS player/recorder. I installed a separate circuit just for the TV, DVD and Dish, thereby avoiding a complicated electrical system. I use two Trojan golf cart batteries. We can boondock for three to four days, watching TV news in the morning and movies or TV for two or three hours in the evening before needing to re-charge.

We love the setup.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Flat panel TV in Airstream

We have had a Sony 19" KLV-S19A10 in our 31 Classic for nearly two years with no problems and good results. But we added the new Wineguard Digital HD Receiver from Camping World earlier this year and the reception is incredible. It converts the standard Wineguard batwing antenna which is standard equipment to HD and it's well worth the $149 they are now selling them for at CW. Link to this follows:

Winegard Digital HD Receiver - Camping World
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #58
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
HD reciever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine
We have had a Sony 19" KLV-S19A10 in our 31 Classic for nearly two years with no problems and good results. But we added the new Wineguard Digital HD Receiver from Camping World earlier this year and the reception is incredible. It converts the standard Wineguard batwing antenna which is standard equipment to HD and it's well worth the $149 they are now selling them for at CW. Link to this follows:
What do you need that thing for? No HD tuner built in to the TV?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #59
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We installed a 15" flat screen TV with a bracket made for wall mounts last year and have been around the country 2x without any problems. We put a piece of foam on the top and bottom ( between tv and wall) while traveling. It has A DVD player , making it extend a few inches from the wall.We also installed a central vac. Love both.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We have two flat screens in the Argosy. One mounted and the other a little 15" up front. The only problem we have had is with the built-in DVD in the little one. I sent it back and it was replaced. So far so good. No problems with the large wall mounted one which is connected to satillite and to a DVD/VCR up in the overhead cabinet.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote