Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
See, what I'm talkin about is the gear that runs on DC only. The A/C stuff is great for those that go camping where there is A/C, but for those that ruff it and it rains that day, well, when in Rome right?

The stuff that is designed specifically for cars on a 12v neg ground type of thing is what I'm lookin for. Most of that stuff is well over $1k right now.

I love the big screen LCDs out there, but since I don't plug into A/C often, and don't haul a generator, would this Sharp work?

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I don't see why the Sharp wouldn't work with the proper cord.

A poster on another forum bought a Phillips Model 580M DVD player (Wal-Mart had 'em on close-out for $70) that only came with an AC adapter that put out 12V. This Radio Shack cord was all he needed to go 12V.

You'd need a more robust one with the Sharp... something rated 5A or more.

I'm betting there's a lot more choice than the existing 12V components if we look at 120VAC home components that use an external DC power supply.
--
Maurice
Old 03-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Travel well? They made it halfway around the globe in a ship, then survived UPS/Airborne/FedEx shipping. If they can survivie that they can survive anything you and your A/S will throw at them.

I've been using an NEC 15-inch LCD display for the last year, and an Apple PowerBook for two years. So far neither has shown any signs of disliking RV life. I also have a Power Mac G4 tower that lives in my A/S. I place it in my truck for traveling.

Viewsonic has some interesting alternatives for those of us who want LCD televisions in our trailers. One is an external TV tuner that has a pass-through connection your computer's video output. Unfortunately, it's only an RGB connector, not DVI, but it does allow you to use your LCD as a computer monitor or a television by turning a switch. Viewsonic also makes a 17-inch widescreen LCD with computer inputs and HDTV capability. The street price is under $1,000, but it is hard to find.

I wish Sharp would make an Equos line without speakers. I have better speakers than those tinny little things they put in the tv cabinets.
Photobitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:57 PM   #24
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Lets not forget those power converters 12v to 120v

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:34 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Lets not forget those power converters 12v to 120v

Hart
Do those drain the batteries faster?

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-15-2003, 08:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
When going from 120VAC to 12VDC, they're called converters, and when going from 12VDC to 120VAC, they called inverters.

Both are often only about 80% efficient but with a converter, it really doesn't matter since you usually have plenty of 120VAC.

An inverter that's only 80% efficient means that you use 25% more battery power than you would with a similar 12V version of the appliance. At TV levels, the loss isn't very significant with only a couple hours a day of use.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:43 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Maurice!

Eric
Old 03-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #28
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Don't similar 12 volt appliances use built in inverters?

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Don't similar 12 volt appliances use built in inverters?

Hart
There IS a company that takes new 120VAC appliances apart and installs small inverters in them. They void the OEM warranty doing this though, and you're better off buying the 120VAC appliance at a discount store with the OEM warranty and using an external inverter.

A lot of computer items use 12VDC natively and have to have an external power supply to use with 120VAC. When you use these with an inverter, you're taking a double whammy because you're getting the inefficiency of their power supply in addition to that with the inverter.

Anything that uses a "wall-wart" or has a brick in the power line is worth checking.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Interesting thread.
I have a small portable that we will use for a while but the plan is a lap top with a large screen and DVD and get a tv tuner. I plan to use this in not only the camper but while traveling. Get map software and a mid line GPS you got navigation. You may also be interest in software avalable to realtime monitor most Fuel injection systems. See the precercer to a engine problem before it gets you stranded. Pull into the GM dealer and SHOW the mechanic what your seeing and get it fixed quick.
Like somebody pointed out ...seems like most bang for the buck. Running down the road I can keep the kids happy with DVD. Have a high tech navigation system, monitor the engine in the tow rig and I could even put an antenna on the tow vehicle and pick up local TV is we get into weather situations. Excell to monitor expenses and a TV when in the camper. When it's in the way just close it and set it on the shelf in the wardrobe.
Cingular (I work for them) will have a wireless data offering by the end of the year in many markets. Hows running down the road a 70mph getting near DSL data speeds sound?
Now I did question my Insurance agent about how lap tops are covered. They are NOT covered under your normal homeowners insurance like the rest of the contents would be. They have a seperate policy that runs about $100 a year. Might want to check with your agent about your coverage. I was surprised what wasn't covered and what was and how. If it's fixed to the vehicle it's covered under comprehensive on the vehicle, If it's loose then it's homeowners or something else for you full timers without a actualy fixed residence. The Lap top is seprate as I pointed out and not sure if you were carring a conventional computer how it would be covered.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:19 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster
Cingular (I work for them) will have a wireless data offering by the end of the year in many markets. Hows running down the road a 70mph getting near DSL data speeds sound?
I'm there. Since you work for them, let them now there are a lot of Mac OS X users who want this. The sportsshooter.com bulletin board is full of full-time pro photographers who would sign up in a heartbeat.

I don't really care about using wireless data while moving, but having it available when I'm at race tracks would be a godsend.
Photobitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
It's coming! The U.S. is 10 years behind in wireless tech thanks to the FCC. 70% of the world uses GSM and the 30% that doesn't is us. GSM is great at moving Data!
What will happen is you can either use your phone as a modem. Models like the Nokia 3300, 7000, newer 6,000's already have a built in IR port and already capable. You would simply point this at your lap tops IR port and go with some shareware available from the manufacture. They will also offer a dedicated PCMIC modem that you simply plug into the side of your Computer or PDA and flip up a small antenna and go.
If you want to see what's coming go to www.nokiausa.com There is also links to their sites in other countries so you can see what we have been missing.
In europe you don't use a Check card you use your phone. You can walk up to a coke machine hit a security code to send your bank information via IR to the coke machine and pay for a coke.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
kingston , Oklahoma
flat screen tv's lcd

We have two 15" lcd in our 2004 25' classic. They work great clear pictue and all. But be sure you get the wall mount arm to mount them on the wall. The mounts are about $120. We use a bungy cord to strap them against the wall when traveling. A eye hook top and bottom...

Good luck,
Keith
KeithCheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
LCD from a Mac

Hello all -

LOVE the thread but really must admit to being lost in all the tech stuff. Wimpy I know!

Thinking that I would love to be able to watch movies - NO TV! - while in SilverToy. Wife has a whizbang G4Powerbook, however she doesn't always travel with us. SO....

What is my best option for LCD with DVD (integral?) and the ability to plug in the laptop to get all the other goodies?

Or am I over-complicating here. Maybe better to just get the LCD/DVD and let it go at that?!

Would likely need decent sound on the LCD, as all SilverToy has currently, is the crummy stereo with factory speaker system.

Thanks for all the 'hand holding'... Appreciate it!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:02 AM   #35
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Axel,
Ya got a couple of choices: you can buy a LCD television that you can plug a DVD player into, or plug in a laptop that plays DVD. Or you can buy a LCD monitor and just plug the laptop into it. I was looking at a system yesterday that has a high end LCD monitor, that just happens to have the sound and television built into it. You run it with a wireless keyboard and mouse, play the DVD's on the 'puter. Looks to me like the way to go. In my case it will be the Televison with the ability to hook the laptop up to it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
what we do

we have a 17 inch computer monitor that has an S-video input. we have a blaupunkt dvd player that also has tv tuner. the blaupunkt runs on 12v and the monitor is running from 120v. if we are w/o electrical hookup the monitor and speaker system run from an inverter.

and the speakers are logitech multimedia. a sub, a center and 4 sattelite speakers. the whole system, monitor, wall mount, dvd/tuner, speakers and inverter probably cost around $450.

my only complaint is that the sub is just too powerful.

be carful when trying to run a monitor straight to 12v. I once fried one from bypassing the 120 to 12v convertor that was built into the cord.

in our past rig (72 barth) we also used a 15 inch lcd computer monitor that only had standard computer connections. but you can buy this device that will turn your monitor into a tv and also has inputs for your dvd and camera etc. I made the mount for that myself and that whole system cost about $350
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Most television stations are also transmitting a digital signal as well, on another channel. Channel 5 here in Gainesville, Florida, is transmitting digital and HD on channel 36 for example. I just purchased an HD DirecTV receiver, that also had a terrestrial DTV/HDTV tuner in it. It has RCA Vid/audio jacks, digital video and S-Video, which may go into some computer LCD monitors, as well as those with a analog inputs. Terrestrial HD/DTV rocks! I get much better reception on the digital channels. This may be a real boon to those camping in the boondocks looking for local television channels.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #38

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I carry a 15" LCD TV. Its playing position is either on top of a cabinet next to our fridge, or on the fold down mirror in the bedroom. From a travel standpoint it lays face down in the center of the queen bed. Quite a soft ride and even on the rougher roads stays quite nicely in the center of the bed.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #39
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I had one installed from the factory. It is mounted on a articulating arm. They travel well. They must be mounted properly. Mine has a large plate bolted to the refrig cabinet wall.
It also has a hold down strap to keep it from moving on the road.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #40
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hi guys)

For half decent prices check out the following sites. I bought my flat screen at One call.
http://www.onecall.com

http://www.buy.com

they normally have pretty good deals and are honest folk to deal with.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote