Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Fishing for Coaxials in the Desert

I want to replace the old 2 strand antenna wire on my Tradewind with coaxial. Any advice on fishing the coaxial through. The old antenna wire is still there.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I want to replace the old 2 strand antenna wire on my Tradewind with coaxial. Any advice on fishing the coaxial through. The old antenna wire is still there.
It is going to be tacked down somewhere. Hopefully it has lost it's stick. You can use the old wire to pull a strong string through and then pull the coax pack through. Knots and tape are involved.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well..not if yer talkin' about the '71. (can't say on the newer one). The problem is that the wire goes back through a rib, then takes a 90-degree corner. Further on down the line, its wrapped up with a bundle of other stuff. no way you're going to "fish" it.
Only way to do it is to drop the ceiling. Its a pain, but its not that hard.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Dropping the ceiling is a true pain, for sure. I had one of the pop rivets holding it up directly under a wire bundle (thanks, factory), so be careful of any rivet that's in the outer 3 inches of either side of the ceiling skin.

You'll have to remove the lights/vent shrouds. You can then pull the skin down a little and slide a long pole in above the skin so you can lever it down. You've got to "oil can" the ceiling, which can be done without creasing it, if you start at one end with the pole.

Don't ask me how to get it back in, I haven't gotten that far, yet. I'm assuming you can just put the edges of the skin back in the channels and push up.

Zep
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Dropping the ceiling is a true pain, for sure... I'm assuming you can just put the edges of the skin back in the channels and push up.

Zep
Anyone ever tried getting some pals and several big rubber dent pullers, sticking them along the center line of the ceiling and everyone pulling down at once? If ya can 'oil can it' in, ya might be able to 'oil can in' out.

Back on subject - the PO of my unit ran the coax down the refrig vent and out the wall, abandoning the flat lead.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
On inspection, you will see that the ceiling skin is attached using only a few pop rivets--it is definitely not structural. So I decided that putting it back in sections was a good idea. I was going to make some butt plates to go on the ribs so there'd be plenty of room to rivet a butt joint between each section. Then I measured the skin width, thinking it would be 24" or a little less. Well, it's friggin' 24-1/2"! So that makes it expensive to use new aluminum. Rats!

Way to ruin a whole sheet (as in 47/96 [49% waste]) of aluminum, factory....

Zep
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
So far the idea of running the cable through the refridgerator vent sounds the easiest. I would only need a run of about a foot, maybe a few inches more across the roof.

But, the old flat wire is still there. Can I splice the coaxial from the antenna to the flat wire, replace the OEM antenna plate with a coaxial plate and do a second connection from the flat wire to the coaxial plug? Is this workable, and how can I make the splice and/or connections?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Our trailer is wired with the flat two wire and we use two 300ohm coax converters at each end.. one from the antenna and one inside the wall behind the tv. We attached a standard cable outlet and plug inside where the TV belongs. Works just fine and we have great reception.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
300 ohm transformers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHall View Post
Our trailer is wired with the flat two wire and we use two 300ohm coax converters at each end.. one from the antenna and one inside the wall behind the tv. We attached a standard cable outlet and plug inside where the TV belongs. Works just fine and we have great reception.
I spliced one transformer into the old antenna plug inside the trailer, and will splice a second to the exterior flat wire end on the roof and connect it to the coaxial cable at the bottom of the Winegard Sensar Batwing. Does this sound workable? Do I need to worry about polarity of the connections and transformers?

To put it another way the antenna sequence will be: 1. coaxial from antenna 2. 300/75 ohm transformer 3.original flat wire to inside the trailer 4.300/75 ohm transformer 5. coaxial cable to TV. Is that correct?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like you've figured it out. I would watch for polarity if you can figure out which side of the 300Ω to use as ground for the coax. Hopefully there's writing on it—any writing will tell you which side is which when you assign polarity to it. I don't think 300Ω wire had a polarity issue, but coax does.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
300 ohm transformers

Lumatic,
please show me in pictures what you have accomplished. also the wingman is only good for high definition TV, this according to camping world staff. Don
Don Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I know you have an older Airstream Lumatic, but the standard antenna that came with our Safari and many thousands of RV's works fine for HD and SD. We've used it in Phoenix, Taos and a few other places without cable. Great pictures. Of course, you have to have an HDTV.

I don't know if that antenna is called a wingman or a dingbat.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Attaching a 300 ohm antenna at each end of the old flat cable did not work for me. Maybe there was a break inside the shell.

I drilled a hole up through the front curbside overhead storage locker right next to the fridge vent. On the outside the hole is still under the roof vent cover. The distance from the antenna to the hole is only a couple of feet.

I installed the Winegard in the old Skyliner hole, but a couple of degrees off center so that when folded down it rests nicely, especially with the Wingman add on, between the refridgerator vent and the roof vent and does not look like it will be blown around.

I don't believe the Wingman is for HD only. I am pretty sure it is designed to be more effective in bringing in higher station number digital signals.